Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

NISMO stock ride height

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
reguloadan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO stock ride height

hey guys, i've got a question about the NISMO Z suspension that i can't find the answer to (yes even after searching). It's a basic question: does the suspension on the NISMO Z cause the car to sit lower than a standard Z? i ask this because i am actually a g35 coupe owner, and one of the members here is selling his stock NISMO Z suspension which i would like to purchase. i simply want to lower my g, im not really looking for the performance benefit but the fact that it is nismo makes it more intriguing. so does the nismo z sit lower than a regular z?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
StoneZtech

I think it's a little little bit lower. Just remember the stock NISMO setup is very stiff in the rear almost 700lbs and 492lbs in the the front.

Originally Posted by reguloadan
hey guys, i've got a question about the NISMO Z suspension that i can't find the answer to (yes even after searching). It's a basic question: does the suspension on the NISMO Z cause the car to sit lower than a standard Z? i ask this because i am actually a g35 coupe owner, and one of the members here is selling his stock NISMO Z suspension which i would like to purchase. i simply want to lower my g, im not really looking for the performance benefit but the fact that it is nismo makes it more intriguing. so does the nismo z sit lower than a regular z?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it sits .60 inches lower on slightly stiffer springs. If I'm not mistaken its the s-tune suspension. Be careful switching parts, I believe the extra weight of the G35 might respond better to a set of springs and shocks made for it. However I doubt its a huge difference.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
StoneZtech

No more guessing, thanks to member T_K who send me the springs to test. We now know the spring rates for the Nismo Z.

Nismo Z (2007-2008) linear front progressive rear
Spring rates 492/336-672

Some interesting facts about the numbers.

Nissan said, the rates were 35% stiffer. Both the front and rear math out to be 57% stiffer vs 04.5+ oem.

Wheel rates: The amount of spring that actually makes it to the wheel to perform work. Spring rate is listed first, then the wheel rate is shown.

2004.5-2008
Front 314= 149
Rear 427= 180

Nismo Z
Front 492= 233
Rear 672= 283

^If you math out the front to rear rate bias, the two setup's have the same rate spread percentage front to rear, about a 22% bias to the rear. Which is not a tuning method I agree with once we start talking about rates that are higher then the oem baseline.

Nissan Motorsports T2 springs
Spring rates 616/672

Wheel rates
616= 292
672= 283
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

None of the factory brochures mention a reduced ride height and when member's in this section have posted alignment specs, the numbers are exactly the same as the regular Z's as far as camber min and max goes. Nissan has thus far been public about all the changes done to the Z. Only thing they never told us is why 2006 oem shocks changed part numbers.

What we need to see is a 07 or 08 Factory Service Manuel that show's how to measure oem ride height, if it show's a different, lower spec for the Nismo Z.

I'm not ruling it out, it's just what we know so far points to it not being lower.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Be careful switching parts, I believe the extra weight of the G35 might respond better to a set of springs and shocks made for it. However I doubt its a huge difference.
If you look at all the various Z models produced 2003-2008, year to year the Z has only been on average 200lbs lighter with little to no differance if you look at how much the roadster weighs. That is not a reason to avoid a 350Z based suspension. When manufacuers make aftermarket suspension's, they rarely make a G35 only version and a 350Z only version. When that has happened, it's that company tuning the G35 version softer because, like Infiniti they feel thats what that owner grouping surely wants. Not because their is some dynamic engineering reason. It is hard enough to get people here to actually think before they buy things, putting it in their head they should seek G35 turned only products isn't where we need or want to go. I post by and large to get info out so they can make more informed choices and cut threw any misleading marketing or sales hype. To that end, they'd be much better served asking the question, are these specs right for me and what I want out of my new suspension.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
If you look at all the various Z models produced 2003-2008, year to year the Z has only been on average 200lbs lighter with little to no differance if you look at how much the roadster weighs. That is not a reason to avoid a 350Z based suspension. When manufacuers make aftermarket suspension's, they rarely make a G35 only version and a 350Z only version. When that has happened, it's that company tuning the G35 version softer because, like Infiniti they feel thats what that owner grouping surely wants. Not because their is some dynamic engineering reason. It is hard enough to get people here to actually think before they buy things, putting it in their head they should seek G35 turned only products isn't where we need or want to go. I post by and large to get info out so they can make more informed choices and cut threw any misleading marketing or sales hype. To that end, they'd be much better served asking the question, are these specs right for me and what I want out of my new suspension.
Like I said be careful when purchasing near platform parts, like many things springs rates and dampening levels are different than what was specifically tuned. For example, the spring rate for the G35 will generally be softer than the 350z for the reasons stated above, but also and possibly more importantly the ride heights are made to be different as well. Most G35 kits are made to lower the car a greater distance than the 350z. This may be what the OP is looking for but it may not. But again, with that said... the differences will be miniscule.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Zazz93

1. Like I said be careful when purchasing near platform parts, like many things springs rates and dampening levels are different than what was specifically tuned. For example, the spring rate for the G35 will generally be softer than the 350z for the reasons stated above, but also and possibly more importantly the ride heights are made to be different as well.

2. Most G35 kits are made to lower the car a greater distance than the 350z. This may be what the OP is looking for but it may not.

3. But again, with that said... the differences will be miniscule.

1. Like I said, 200lbs and a 8" shorter wheelbase does not warrant any claim that anyone should "be carefull". RWD FM tuning only differs to suit each cars demographics. Which has been fined tuned over the years, witness the Z's mid year 2004.5 suspension revision and the 2005 roll out of a legit sport suspension for the G35 coupe. See below for a education on various FM variant oem spring rates. If your cautionary tale had validity, none the following would be true. Kw Variant 1, 2 and 3 coilovers would not be the same valving and spring rates with the same part numbers for the 350Z and G35. tom.edge@kwautomotive.com Koni OTS yellows, would not be the same valving and part numbers for the G35 and 350Z. gordon@koni-na.com If that was the case Tein Basic, CS, Flex, Monoflex and SuperDrift would not be the same spring rates, valving and part numbers for the G35 and 350Z. Tel: 562-861-9161 If that was the case Bilstein Pss, Pss9 and Pss10 coilovers and HD shocks would not be the same valving, spring rates and part numbers for the 350Z and G35. John.Cerveny@thyssenkrupp.com If that was the case Tokico D-specs which have different part numbers for the G35 and 350Z would not have the same valving. How they differ is only in the fact that the 350Z fitment has shorter rear shocks. Ray 1.800.548.2549 If you want to change your tune and say well I got him on the shock length issue, please stop and run a search under bump travel, I will come up and I alone for relentlessly bringing up the issue, because btw I measure bump travel on all my setups as a routine and make adjustment or modification's should that number be lacking. All of the above shock and coilover systems had real time R&D testing on the G35 and 350Z. In one instance where a manufactuer makes distinctly different G35 and 350Z coilover application's, HKS LS+ coilovers, the G35 coupe version has significantly firmer valving then the 350Z version. Water under the bridge since the CPV35 fitment was never imported here.

2. It is the very point for the op thread and why I posted what I did on the subject.

Oem ride heights differ from each platform as follows.
G35 sedan with oem 350Z springs = 1" drop
G35 coupe with oem 350Z springs = .5" drop
Meaning you add that addition amount to the drop spec when considering a 350Z specific spring on your G35

Any G35 spring that is offering a greater drop then is typical vs a 350Z lowering spring, generally has poor spring rate specs, caveat emptor Which is why I made the following master list of all known 350Z and G35 springs, shocks and coilovers (still haven't added Tanabe coilovers, lazy I guess). http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...w-updates.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...w-updates.html

3. "Like I said be careful when purchasing near platform parts"
"But again, with that said... the differences will be miniscule"
Two very differant messages.

I am the gate keeper for all oem spring rate data points, quite a few rates are known only because of the kindness of a few Z and G35 owners that lend me their springs to test.

350Z 2003-2004 oem spring rates
314/342 (shocks are the stiffest of all, I have dyno's)

G35 coupe 2003-2007 oem spring rates when delivered on 17/18 inch wheels
314/342 (mild shock valving, simular to sedan with sport suspension)

G35 sedan 2003-2006 oem spring rates sport suspension
314/427 (mild shock valving)

350Z 2004.5-2008 oem spring rates (revised suspension) roadster's included
314/427 (softer shocks then 03/04, have only dyno on rears, compression is exactly the same, rebound is trimmed 0ips to 10ips).

G35 coupe 2005-2007 oem spring rates when delivered with 19" wheels31431
314/427 (firmer then non sport simular in feel to oem 2004.5 Z shocks)

The post above that lists the 2007-2008 Nismo Z spring rates is a cut and paste from my post announcing the rates.

Again, your totally missing what matters in the here and now. Does what I am looking to install on the car meet my needs? Should anything about the known specs give me pause for concern? Just how low will it drop my car, what if it's too high or too low? Am I being over or undersold by my sales person?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Zazz93

Dude give it up already...

You want to argue with someone that says you should be careful when mixing and matching parts. Last I heard, that was common sense. If you would rather have someone blindly make a purchase before they did their homework, that's on you. I'm just bringing up the point that the cars are obviously a little different.

Also, ther's nothing wrong with doing the mix if you know what your getting into. People make mistakes everyday but I hate when I make a mistake because I didn't do my due diligence.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
reguloadan
Banned

thanks for the replies guys.

im mainly looking for the drop, as im pretty much just a cosmetic guy. but i've also been in the tuning game for awhile and i am not a newbie when it comes to lowering a car, thats why i wanted to go nismo with my g35 because at the very least, ill know quality is good. my other car is a 2001 sentra with nismo shocks/springs, and i went through very many different spring/shock combos before i finally settled on the nismos which i am very happy with. naturally, id want to go with the best for my g as well.