Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

My Parents Think I Should Sell My Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
NightRider88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda have the Same situation going on but my fiancee' wants me too sell it too. Ultimately im not gonna sell it. Love the car way too much!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
ChuckW

I dd my Nismo. I have a second set of rims and Blizzaks to get through the winter. Not a big deal, it's my only car. Like any car, if you drive for the conditions, it will be alright.

Lento, you've seen a lot of bad things with that car. You love it, keep it. You'll get married and wind up driving a jacked up station wagon (SUV) soon like the rest of the parents out there. Keep the Nismo for now. You will regret it if you let it go.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep the Z! oh god don't get a civic because your parents advise you too. I'm 25 and i work hard to maintain 2 cars. I take care of my beater while the Z hibernates during the winter months.

Last edited by BoomerZ33; 09-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Lento, just a few points:
You’re 24, there will never be a better time in your life to enjoy a sports car. You have a great one, it’s paid for, and it’s a Nissan, one of the more reliable cars on the market. My 04 Z roadster just had its 7th birthday, in all those years not one squeak, rattle, repair or even a burnt out light bulb. I only wish my crappy boyfriend could be as loyal and trouble free as my Z.

It sounds like you have a great relationship with your folks. That's a rare and wonderful thing nowadays. Maybe your mom just needs to meet some of the many girls who own and love a Z. She’ll never find a more lovely, cultured and sweet group of women on the face of the earth. For instance, moms tend to love me!

I don’t know if the world has gotten around to telling you this yet, but you’re a ‘catch’! You have earned a prestigious degree from a top university, have no debt, great taste in cars and are about to start a career with one of the big four audit firms. Your folks need to appreciate this and endorse the one small indulgence you are granting yourself.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the Z, live at home for 4 more years, save up and buy a house instead of being stuck in an apt
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Nismo#24

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Lento, just a few points:
You’re 24, there will never be a better time in your life to enjoy a sports car. You have a great one, it’s paid for, and it’s a Nissan, one of the more reliable cars on the market. My 04 Z roadster just had its 7th birthday, in all those years not one squeak, rattle, repair or even a burnt out light bulb. I only wish my crappy boyfriend could be as loyal and trouble free as my Z.
It sounds like you have a great relationship with your folks. That's a rare and wonderful thing nowadays. Maybe your mom just needs to meet some of the many girls who own and love a Z. She’ll never find a more lovely, cultured and sweet group of women on the face of the earth. For instance, moms tend to love me!

I don’t know if the world has gotten around to telling you this yet, but you’re a ‘catch’! You have earned a prestigious degree from a top university, have no debt, great taste in cars and are about to start a career with one of the big four audit firms. Your folks need to appreciate this and endorse the one small indulgence you are granting yourself.
Need a new one? If i was your dad i would tell you to trade him in for a more reliable type, perhaps one that drives a civic

Last edited by Nismo#24; 09-07-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
zen350z

Z's aren't even that hard to drive in the snow, I had no problems in a little over a foot of snow just have to know how to drive. This year I ended up buying a beater for $500 just because I don't want to end up with rust on my car. I'm 28 with a kid and live on my own with my girl and I only make $42K a year. Keep the Z and move out and stop letting your parents run your life and be a man. BTW You will regret selling it since you will not get back but a fraction of what you paid for it.

Last edited by zen350z; 09-07-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM
joliuxsi

Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Best advice in this thread, move the fck out. If you can't afford to keep the car while living on your own, sell it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
1GR8350Z

I say listen to your parents. You've been honest so I will save my typical beatdown. The truth is that if your mother is still producing teet milk after all these years and you would rather suck on them than random ******, then by all means.

If you are cool living at home then I agree that you should lower your bills and take advantage of a golden oppurtunity to pile your money up. No depreciating asset is worth squandering away financial security for your future.

I agree that if you are making enough that you could afford it living on your own, then keep it. If not, bye bye Nismo
Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Best advice in this thread, move the fck out. If you can't afford to keep the car while living on your own, sell it.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
gunninit350

Default evo

Have you considered getting an evo x. Im in the same situation with having the need for one year round practical car for snow and such cause I no longer have a beater and the z is really just a "fun" car not made for harsh weather conditions. Most of my friends out here have evos and they can't wait for snow to fly plus you have back seats, turbo, brembos, recaros, plus you can get more for your money on mods hp wise. You can also prob. trade or sell your nismo in and pick up an a nice evo x for like 24k. I know I'll prob. be picking one up soon.
Just a thought
Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
P8ntballer589

You can never have to many cars, beaters or not. Buy a
Truck or suv to lug ur crap around and garage the z for a season. Geez. Needing tires is no a
Reason to sell a car. If u cant afford it you would have known it by now. Trading it will be a loss, financially and emotionally.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
+2!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
wrekalot

Listen, my wife is a Sr. Manager at the D.C. national office of PWC she drives my Nismo to work more than I drive it on the street. Her car up till this past weekend was a 06 RX8 with coil overs and RPF1s with star specs, that we traded for a new FJ Cruiser. You will have plenty of time being a CPA to be boring. Believe me 98% of them are the most boring work crazy people with little to no personality outside of cubicle humor you will ever meet.

We traded her rx8 for BRIGHT F ING YELLOW FJ to tow my spec miata and boat. Her logic for wanting yellow, the rest of the drones at work all drive boring silver or black 3 series, accords, camrys, or maximas. Another manager in the office has a blue IS-F and they have a little something in common to talk about OTHER THAN work or numbers so that may end up helping you at some time down the road. Some of the partners like to think they are car people too because they drove you hard enough to afford a 911 or the likes. There is another way to set yourself apart and believe me the partners notice what you drive. They were all asking questions about my Nismo after the valet (only time I ever HAD to valet, made me sick) brought it to the curb in downtown DC after a manager/director/partner and spouses outing. Her boss just took me for a ride in his new Panamera Turbo this past Monday.

If you enjoy having something interesting to own or drive keep it, its paid for. Also GROW UP and move out. Just an FYI during new hire rounds they have internal memos with the subject labled "Helicopter Parent New Hires" with instructions on how to deal with momma's boys and daddy's little girl that they won't let go of. Don't be like that you won't get far. Good luck with the "work life balance" any questions though about PWC just give me a P.M. and I will call her office and schedule a time with her to relay a response to me.

Last edited by wrekalot; 09-08-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Lento

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I sat down with my parents and basiclly told them how much I would get for the car if I sold it. I also told them how much I enjoy it. After that they said to just keep it.

They also told me that one of the reasons they wanted me to sell it was because they feel like I'm a little OCD with it and dont want to see me stressed out every time I have to park it in a bad neighborhood or when an end spot isnt available. They think that if I get a civic I wouldn't give 2 ***** and park it where ever like a normal person. Thats just not the case. I've taken care of every car I've owned from a Saab 900 to an RSX to the Nismo.

As a side note on moving out..... I've been really thinking about it. I was supposed to move in with a girlfriend, but plans fell through after she got rejected from a job she was expecting in the Boston area. After that things fizzeled out and I got sick of driving all the way up to NH to see her.

Since then I don't really feel like moving out because I like the company of my family. Most of my college friends have moved to different states or shitty areas of Boston because its all they can afford. If I were to get an apartment by myself I think I would be lonley, and probably wouldn't be able to keep my Z there anyways (Especially in Boston).

Plus I like my house. I figure why pay twice when I have it good in the first place. If my friends were all in the same area that would be one thing, but I would be alone in Boston or at home (at least until work starts)

I'm not big on the bar/club scene so the one night stand thing is a non issue. I start work in Janurary and I think that is when I will make my decision.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by wrekalot
Her logic for wanting yellow, the rest of the drones at work all drive boring silver or black 3 series, accords, camrys, or maximas.

Just an FYI during new hire rounds they have internal memos with the subject labled "Helicopter Parent New Hires" with instructions on how to deal with momma's boys and daddy's little girl that they won't let go of..
^lol my father told me my car wasn't a "PwC" car. I needed a nice 4 door sedan.

and yea I worked 2 internships with PwC and we got those memos, but there is really no point. They work you so hard you start to think you were bred by some PwC factory and your parents were surrogates.

Thx for the advice
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 AM
phataus

Originally Posted by verdict.
Keep it. Your trade in value won't be much... probably around 15-20k.

Buy a beater for the winter.
+1 buy a beater....hell buy my beater, 95 toyota tercel ;p sorry to jack but pm if seriously interested....hope you make the right decision for you!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Why do you have to live in boston? I live just outside the city (boston) by like 10-15 min and love it.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Lento

Originally Posted by trodis
Why do you have to live in boston? I live just outside the city (boston) by like 10-15 min and love it.
^I'm going to be working in the financial district so I am thinking of buying a condo in the North End or Back Bay.

Its just a pain in the *** to fight traffic every day and or drive to the train station. I use Oak Grove, which costs $5.50 a day and there aren't any spots if you get there any later than 7 AM. I'd have to have someone drive me or bus it.

Plus I think living in the city will be a lot more fun that living outside in the sub burds especially since I am single now and will probably be going out a lot with people from work (whom nearly all live in the city)

Quick Reply: My Parents Think I Should Sell My Car