Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Nismo TT eating Porsche sandwiches

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Loved the vid...
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
NissanZ03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like it was insanely fun...nice to have someone representing the z community well
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
08NismoZ

I did 4 track sessions at 25min a piece, except the very last session I was only out there for about 10min and called it a day due to getting low on fuel. I looked up the weather for Saturday and the high was 83 degrees, avg humidity was 73.

I was using the GoPro HD camera suction cupped to my roof haha. I did one video last year at Nashville Super Speedway with the camera mounted down in the front bumper.

I keep on telling myself that I need to get an oil temp gauge and oil cooler, but I was having a lot of doubts on keeping this car and was looking into the 996 turbo's and the Ferrari F360 Modena w/ F1 transmission to turn into a track car. Those cars might have the high dollar name but after this event and keeping up fairly well with these guys i've found a renewed interest in putting more $$$ into the Z.

This is my first Z. I bought it brand new off the showroom floor in Feb 2009. I put about 6k miles on it that summer/fall and put the Greddy TT kit on that winter. I don't really drive the car that much around Indy because the OS Giken triple disc clutch is a little bit of a pain in the *** in my opinion for just cruising around but I love it at the drag strip and this was my first time on a road course with the clutch. My only other HPDE event i've done was ZCon last summer. I was actually pretty surprised to look down at the mileage yesterday and it's got 19k miles on it now! I guess driving it down to Miami and back, ZDayz, ZCon, and a few trips to Lexington will rack up the miles haha.

I really appreciate all the helpful advice and compliments. I hope to make it to some more Z track events, and i'll definitely be jumping in on any events that come around here with more high dollar cars
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
FRESH Z

Awesome Vid!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 AM
08NismoZ

I forgot to add that during each session I was able to get in about 13 laps and on the session during that video my fastest lap was 1min 27sec.

Here's the video from ZCon last year, you can really hear the bov's going off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBeh...el_video_title
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
I was thinking about suspension upgrades because I rode in an instructor's Acura NSX that was bone stock but with a full suspension upgrade and it just had a completely different feeling from our stock Nismo suspension. He was telling me that he was feeling the Nismo suspension was very good and he wouldn't bother changing until I feel i'm able to drive the car 100% with its stock suspension. I think i'll take his advice and get a lot more seat time with street tires, stock suspension, and possibly come out next year with some Hoosier R6's and some suspension upgrades : )

What would you recommend to change out in the suspension area though, because I do feel the body roll and it does intimidate me a little bit because I rolled my XTerra playing around in a field a couple years ago haha
I suggest the solid f/r differential bushings from SPL. The differential brace from Injected Performance. Camber arms in the rear and dial in negative camber in the rear a little more for tracks with only 1 straight. Obviously the Porsches still have a stiffer suspension and sit lower so some stiffer suspension/springs and lowering the car a bit will help. Also do not make any exterior changes to the car like aftermarket bumpers. The Porsches also have more down force, so using some angled spacers for the stock spoiler to tilt it forward will help with that but not too much on tracks with a lot of straights.

I also suggest getting some cheap 18s x 10.5s or 11s in the back and getting some 305 tyres or 315s. Some Porsches run that stock.
and also some sway bars with Powergrid end links, not SPL. Actually keep the Nismo sway bars and get the Powergrid end links only.
I forgot to add that during each session I was able to get in about 13 laps and on the session during that video my fastest lap was 1min 27sec.

Here's the video from ZCon last year, you can really hear the bov's going off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBeh...el_video_title
That looks like a lot of fun. I enjoyed that.

Last edited by Andrei; 06-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your Z is a beast!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 4 track sessions at 25min a piece, except the very last session I was only out there for about 10min and called it a day due to getting low on fuel. I looked up the weather for Saturday and the high was 83 degrees, avg humidity was 73.

I was using the GoPro HD camera suction cupped to my roof haha. I did one video last year at Nashville Super Speedway with the camera mounted down in the front bumper.

I keep on telling myself that I need to get an oil temp gauge and oil cooler, but I was having a lot of doubts on keeping this car and was looking into the 996 turbo's and the Ferrari F360 Modena w/ F1 transmission to turn into a track car. Those cars might have the high dollar name but after this event and keeping up fairly well with these guys i've found a renewed interest in putting more $$$ into the Z.

This is my first Z. I bought it brand new off the showroom floor in Feb 2009. I put about 6k miles on it that summer/fall and put the Greddy TT kit on that winter. I don't really drive the car that much around Indy because the OS Giken triple disc clutch is a little bit of a pain in the *** in my opinion for just cruising around but I love it at the drag strip and this was my first time on a road course with the clutch. My only other HPDE event i've done was ZCon last summer. I was actually pretty surprised to look down at the mileage yesterday and it's got 19k miles on it now! I guess driving it down to Miami and back, ZDayz, ZCon, and a few trips to Lexington will rack up the miles haha.

I really appreciate all the helpful advice and compliments. I hope to make it to some more Z track events, and i'll definitely be jumping in on any events that come around here with more high dollar cars
Yeah, as far as power is concerned, you've barely scratched the surface. Imagine what you could do with a stronger bottom-end!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by KingBaby
@Ataru - you need to start a thread/log of all you epic track times. It's great insight into a track car tracked! Your recommendation on many parts hold weight and would give many of us something to gauge on. From your videos I push my Z just as hard for fraction the time! Your making this to buy list longer....

MOAR
there are people here like Mthreat (is a while that he isn't around) and Sfarrah (to mention the Austin / Houston area ) that are WAY faster than me around a race track.

For what I learned so far:
1) track time... SPEND MONEY HERE. 95% of people going to a race track can use more for sure... without any mods.
2) make the car reliable on the track... oil cooler, bigger radiators, gauges, brake cooling, braided lines, race brake pads, better fluids and so on... if the car can't hold on for 30 minutes driven hard... you won't learn.
is going to make you faster? not one bit... but driving without thinking about cooling down every other lap is way more relaxing.
3) drive other cars and compare yourself...
if you are fast, you'll be fast with everything... sometimes downgrading to a slower car is useful... sometimes driving something faster is useful...
4) track time again...

than if you really want to spend money...
1) a good bucket seat.... good driving position is a must.
not jumping around helps and the faster you get... the more you need to concentrate on control and less on controlling your own position in the seat.
2) LSD... avoid "gay" lockings... 60% is plenty, 1.5 way is plenty... change the fluid often with a good 75W140 or 75W90, put some redline friction modifier and call it a day... better change fluid (1.5 quarts) every weekend than buying snake oil fluids and change it every 2 or 3 times.. if the diff makes noise (clunking... not tire chirping) with new fluid.. the fluid is too thin and needs friction modifier... if it doesn't you have the right fluid... when makes noise.. change fluid.
3) Tires... start with street tires... they talk, they are easy to control and they'll keep you slower... it'e easier to control the car (and your adrenaline) at 0.9/1.1 Gs.... at 1.6 on slicks everything becomes way more "interesting".
4) suspension angles... again.. at least GOOD front upper arms.. the Z needs camber... they pay back in about 6 track weekends in saved tires... if you plan to do more than 6 track weekends with the Z... buy it right away and increase front camber as you increase your skills... (use a pyrometer... 100$ or so)
5) suspensions... avoid "cheap"... I made the mistake... almost everybody did... HKS aren't real race coilovers... as well as cusco as well as tein and so on....
jrz, penske, real konis, moton ans some ohlins (not the one usually sold here) are "the $hit".... save the money and get the good ones....
they are after the diff (that modifies the car dynamics) and the tires... that dictate somehow the spring rates, rebound and compression control needed.
6) at this point all your bushing are shot.... replace it or do it while you do every work... solid/urethane bushings aren't cheap... but you need them in good shape.
7) keep going to the track.....
18) lighten the car... is free.
27) aero..
147) power.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Lakeside

^^^^ Well put Ataru!

Next for me:

- A set of 18" race wheels/tires
- GTM oil cooler/spacer
- oil temp gauge
- SPL front A-arms
- SPL solid diff bushings
- SS brake lines

I will probably put off boosting the car again this year. I can't out drive the car yet.

I have a dual axle car hauler with electric brakes. I'm not sure my current pickup ( 4.0L Frontier crew cab) would handle that much weight though So I currently drive to the tracks.

I was looking at a new Tundra. Not sure I really care for the Titans, odd considering how much of a Nissan guy I am.

Do you trailer your cars? How far do you travel to the tracks? For me, Watkins Glen is 3+ hrs away. Limerock isn't far guessing 2 hrs (I haven't gone their yet. Track days aren't cheap at all), V.I.R is a hike.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job Ryan, way to represent! Glad to see you are having fun and have renewed interest... we'd hate to lose you to the Porsche/Ferrari club :P
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
08NismoZ

Hey Lakeside, BlackbirdCPV35 has that same truck and he hauled his G35 all over the place with a dual axle elec. brake trailer. He's hauled it through the mountains going down to ZDayz last year and multiple times down to Kentucky from Indy. I think the only time it got interesting was going down hill because the trailer weight wanted to push the truck so the brakes were getting a work out, and we're not sure how great the electric brakes were on the trailer haha
I'd love to pick up an oil cooler also let me know what kind of a deal you end up getting

Thanks Hal, how have you and Eddie been doing down there? Sounds like you guys are staying pretty busy
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Lakeside

Good to know! I figured I'd need a fullsize truck.

I have never pulled that trailer with my Frontier. I'll have to look into a big brake kit for it.

It pulls my 18ft bowrider just fine. Not sure what the boat & trailer weighs. Stopping isn't an issue either. But the nismo + trailer I think will be an issue without a brake kit. :O

I inherited the car hauler. Just need to install an elec brake kit for it. Then I can use it.

GTM has the 25 row oil cooler kit for $529 The 34 row kit is like $590

The oil pan spacer is $150 with dual taps.

Easy install project. I would tackle it while installing my canards but money is tight right now, so it will have to wait. I like to do all my modding over the winter. This year I have had the car in the shop alot. I haven't been able to enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Porsche club events are so much fun, i love playing with them.

4.0 Frontier not able to tow a Z LOL, it will be fine as long as your trailer is under 2500 pounds. Even if you trailer weights more, it will still tow it.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not get SPL spherical bushings. I had them and they started making a lot of noise after a year. Nismo bushings are better if he doesn't have it already installed since it's a Nismo Z.
Nismo ones are harder than OEM and they have the same effect as solid ones without the noise.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

<-----Jealous

Op if you have ferrari money! You have means to make a monster out of your Z.

So many things can be done, which to me would be way more enjoyable. Stripped trunk wih rear quarter cage/harness. SuperLight wheels/titanium exhuast/brakes/complete suspension upgrade... and the list goes on and on bro
Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by KingBaby
<-----Jealous

Op if you have ferrari money! You have means to make a monster out of your Z.

So many things can be done, which to me would be way more enjoyable. Stripped trunk wih rear quarter cage/harness. SuperLight wheels/titanium exhuast/brakes/complete suspension upgrade... and the list goes on and on bro
I think that if he has Ferrari money and likes to drive on a road course... he should get a porsche gt3 or gt2... or even better... get a gt3 cup and put it on a trailer.
you can find used one for 70K... that is a nismo with a turbo kit with all the supporting mods... and IF you know how to drive it's on the next planet as lap times / safety / handling.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 AM
08NismoZ

Nnnnnnnoooooooooo! You guys are supposed to keep me interested in Z, not making other platform suggestions haha
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Lakeside

LOL! Funny how no one recommended a GTR! Dollar for Dollar it is the ultimate track machine. I saw a new 2010 Redline sell for 75K
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
08NismoZ

Yeah I know there's quite a few around here but I don't think they are ever tracked. There was one that showed up to the event Saturday but I could tell he was just cruising around the track and not even coming close to pushing the car. I heard quite a few people say they were disappointed because they wanted to see how well it would actually perform on the track by a non pro driver. CL65 was my instructor and he was talking about how he's been behind one on a track before and he could see the driver making some mistakes and the GTR would practically just drive itself around the corner haha

Quick Reply: Nismo TT eating Porsche sandwiches