Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Getting a Nitrous Kit..ok to keep stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 PM
SeinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Nitrous Kit..ok to keep stock exhaust?

I'm thinking of getting high flow cats but may not be doing so if they will change the sound of the car.

I have a lot of experience with Nitrous and want to run a NX wet kit (75 shot) on the Z.

My question is: If I end up not replacing the cats with higher flowing units, will I still be able to safely utilize a 75 shot? Air flow/air-fuel issues?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:12 AM
first350

with Nitrous, you'll be pushing a lot more through your exhuast - it'd still be safe, but there's more to be gained with a more open exhaust system.

*I'm currently installing a NX 75 wet shot...it's taking awhile b/c of work and I'm doing it myself - let me know if you have any qeustions. (I'm learning tons as I go along)
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will not be pushing a lot more through the exhuast your not boosted lol. I agree you can make gains with an exhuast but you can keep it stock if you wish. Let me just say if you want to keep the stock sound, why not do HF cats or resonated test-pipes and then a y-pipe. The factory b-pipe and muffler flow well, Id say as good as just about any aftermarket system out.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
johnny_domino

Originally Posted by first350
*I'm currently installing a NX 75 wet shot...it's taking awhile b/c of work and I'm doing it myself - let me know if you have any qeustions. (I'm learning tons as I go along)
How's the install? I was thinking about getting nitrous, but only if I did the install myself. So far I have installed all my own mods without any problems. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and my dad used to be a mechanic. What's your experience with installing nitrous?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
MySunset350Z

i have the stock exhaust on my z. i like the stock sound. but i did install test pipes for better flow. you're probably going to fry the cats anyway eventually with nitrous, since you want to be runing slightly rich when on it.

there's very little mechanics involved with installing a nitrous system. i'd say it was about 80-90% electrical and 10-20% mechanical. i would advise you to stay away from beer when installing your nitrous system. i know most people like to mix beer and working on cars, but you dont want to do that while installing a nitrous system.

having said that, i'd say its a fairly easy diy project. just take your time.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
gNaRKiLL

Originally Posted by Alberto
You will not be pushing a lot more through the exhuast your not boosted lol. I agree you can make gains with an exhuast but you can keep it stock if you wish. Let me just say if you want to keep the stock sound, why not do HF cats or resonated test-pipes and then a y-pipe. The factory b-pipe and muffler flow well, Id say as good as just about any aftermarket system out.
Actually he will be pushing much more exhaust since nitrous is an oxidizer and it creates more oxygen to burn thus more volume etc...

You should atleast get test pipes I would say.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM
johnny_domino

Originally Posted by MySunset350Z
having said that, i'd say its a fairly easy diy project. just take your time.
What brand do you have? And with what accessories. I've been thinking about getting a bsic kit, then buying a window switch and WOT switch. Is that all I would need and still be relativley safe?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 PM
first350

This is my first N2O install, but I've worked on cars for several years and feel fairly comfortable with it. I would also agree that there's tons of eletrical stuff...I have a mechanical engineering degree and luckily I took a few eletrical classes.

so far, here's the list of what I'm installing:
-basic wet kit w/ 10lb bottle
-bottle heater
-bottle opener
-electric N2O pressure gauge
-tps/window switch controller
-purge
-spark plugs (1 step colder)
-fuel tap

I've also added a 2nd 'fuse box' that I'll use to power a lot of the components plus my radar detector.

The install is going well, but it's taking a long time b/c I've been working OT every day plus on Saturdays...

-Peter

Last edited by first350; 07-26-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
first350

Originally Posted by Alberto

Nitrous is very similar to FI…both use different methods to increase the amount of oxygen and fuel into the engine; That extra air and fuel flow out of your engine as exhaust. (Assuming things like timing, compression ratios, camshafts all stay the same, a turbo or SC adding 100 HP or nitrous adding 100 HP to a car, both have relatively the same increase in the quantity of exhaust flow. The nitrous car will actually produce slightly less exhaust flow b/c nitrous is 36% oxygen, while air is 23% oxygen…less nitrous is needed compared to air for the same amount of fuel)

A turbo charger has greater dependence on the exhaust flow b/c it uses the exhaust to spin the turbine which in-turn, builds intake pressure. So, a more free-flowing exhaust will allow the turbo to build pressure faster. **But a more free flowing exhaust will have a greater increase for FI or nitrous over stock.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 PM
MySunset350Z

Originally Posted by johnny_domino
What brand do you have? And with what accessories. I've been thinking about getting a bsic kit, then buying a window switch and WOT switch. Is that all I would need and still be relativley safe?
i have the nx stage 1 wet kit, dual purge, nx pressure regulated bottle heater, nx remote bottle opener, nx blow down and 2 step colder plugs. the system in controlled via a wot switch and a switch mounted inside the shifter to turn the system off while the car is shifting (5AT). i installed the heater in a way where if the car is off, the heater doesnt get power. this is good just in case i ever forget to turn it off and then have my bottle explode from the pressure.

i went ahead and installed a nitrous pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge and wideband a/f gauge while i was installing the nitrous system for convenience and added safety.

i have stage 2 sitting in my garge, ill hopefully be installing that early next month.

if you do install your own kit, make sure you give the system its own power source. run a new line from your battery to power everything.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
SeinZ

Thanks for the help guys. However, I'm not worried about the install...most people seem to be commenting on that. I've installed 2 nitrous kits so I'm confident with that.

My question was directed at the concern of needing a higher flowing exhaust system.

I want to keep the stock sound. Will high flow cats change the sound drastically?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
tripmachine

nope high flow cats won't change it 'drastically' it will change it slightly... but it sounds great.... there is a video on www.streetfire.net 'search' for 350z and browse the pages... you'll see a stock exhaust with test pipes video... listen to that and i'm sure the high flow cats will be less that what that sounds like... good luck and have fun!!! be careful too! I blew my motor with nitrous... =/ in my old 240sx.... that's cause i bought a USED kit from a friend and a cylinoid locked up and kept spraying at idle.... blah boooooom!!!! ;] anyway i'm afraid of that **** now unless it get it BRAND NEW and have EVERYTHING i could think of to prevent something like that.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM
SeinZ

thanks for the reply. I just finnished the install of my nitrous kit today. Its a 75 wet shot from a NX kit. I'll probably order high flow cats within the week
Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by first350
Nitrous is very similar to FI…both use different methods to increase the amount of oxygen and fuel into the engine; That extra air and fuel flow out of your engine as exhaust. (Assuming things like timing, compression ratios, camshafts all stay the same, a turbo or SC adding 100 HP or nitrous adding 100 HP to a car, both have relatively the same increase in the quantity of exhaust flow. The nitrous car will actually produce slightly less exhaust flow b/c nitrous is 36% oxygen, while air is 23% oxygen…less nitrous is needed compared to air for the same amount of fuel)

A turbo charger has greater dependence on the exhaust flow b/c it uses the exhaust to spin the turbine which in-turn, builds intake pressure. So, a more free-flowing exhaust will allow the turbo to build pressure faster. **But a more free flowing exhaust will have a greater increase for FI or nitrous over stock.
All very true...except for one thing. Nitrous is not similar to forced induction....it is forced induction - just another form. If you increase pressure inside a cylinder from an outside source (i.e. turbo, sc, nitrous), you are using forced induction (forcing air into the cylinders). In this case, chemically.