Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

I have an automatic, please school me on the limits of nitrous.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM
ninous26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an automatic, please school me on the limits of nitrous.

Hey guys, I am very new to the nitrous world.. I have an 03 5AT G35 coupe.

Performance mods:

Exhaust;

Custom catback exhaust. Using Stillen TD X pipe, stillen TD mid pipes with resonators, into 2 megan racing mufflers.. Exhuast diameter is 2.5 inches all the way.

Megan racing res. Test pipes and stock headers. > Soon to replaced with megan long tubes.

Engine;

Motordyne basic 1/2" spacer

Stillen air box with JWT popcharger velocity stack + filter into an Injen short ram pipe.

Differential;

3.5 FD W/ OEM VLSD.

Alright, so I have a Nitrous express kit with pretty much everything need to get the kit hooked up.. I have a TURBO XS UTEC coming in the mail which I will be using to have an N/A tune and a Nitrous tune.

My question is, how much power can the automatic transmission handle? I am doing a very conservative 75 shot.. Since I got the UTEC I know I can do up to a 125 shot. I have been thinking of upping to a 100 shot from the 75 but I have read that the auto tranny can only handle something like 333whp.. Well how much WTQ can it handle?

Another question, what RPMS should I have the nitrous cut at?

Is it safe to up my redline to 7000RPMS? If not, how about the N/A tune is 7K RPM safe there?

Last, will a Transgo Valve Body upgrade help my transmission handle more HP?

Sorry for being a noob about this.. I need help on this subject.. I will be taking the car to Tony @ UMS to have all this done.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
zaperroni

are you planning on getting forged internal engine parts?
just because the utec is cabable of a 125 shot, doesnt mean your stock engine (rods etc) can handle it.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go 100 shot but I wouldnt go much past that 125 tops without a full nitrous tune. Get one step colder plugs and a window switch and call it a day!
Hvae it come on at 3500 rpm and shut off about 500rpm before redline so you dont bounce off the rev limiter. I would shut it down at 5500rpm.
Third and fourth gear is when you want it to come in so traction wont be a problem.
Arm the system mid way though second gear.
If your engine is stock (which it sounds like it is) your valvetrain wont handle rpms past redline and there is no need to push your engine that hard.
Yes get the transgo kit you will love it and it will aid in your tranny life along with Amsoil fluid and a GOOD cooler!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
ninous26

Cool. I am going to keep stock internals.. I know about the plugs, just forgot to mention it.. However, speaking up spark plugs I can only find IRIDIUM one step colder where in that FAQ thread by "audible mayhem" someone says to get only copper one step colder.. Where do I find those? I can only find iridums.

with the UTEC I won't need an RPM window switch because its fully tuneable that way. I have a TPS switch, should I just throw that out since I have the UTEC which will control that?

As for transgo, from the looks and sound of it I like what I see but I want to know if it will help the tranny hold more than 333whp? If it does, I will get that in the future and run 100.

So have it engage at 3500 rpms and shut off 500 before? 500 before is 6000RPMS but you said 5500..

I was thinking up rasing the redline because the auto tranny doesn't shift as fast so sometimes it bounces off the rev limiter once or twice then shifts.. Another 500 rpms raised wouldn't hurt it just for shifting purposes right? I'm not planning on holding the throttle till 7K.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

OH! EDIT: Will I need a nitrous toggle switch that turns it on and off/ arms it or will the Utec be able to do that once I choose the nitrous map?

Last edited by ninous26; 05-23-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Verilath

subscribed. I have a G35 coupe with the exact same supporting mods and im also considering a 100 shot on my auto tranny very soon. Not much discussion for us auto guys so this is a good topic.

I was also curious about using the utec's rpm window and TPS capabilities, or would the zex/ dynotune ones that you can buy for the kit work better?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
drivessidewayz

if you don't have a switch to control the system, the Utec will hit nitrous every time you floor it past x rpm. This will either use the nitrous when you don't want it or waste extra fuel because the bottle is shut.

There is no real "shot" capability of the Utec. It controls the solenoids which control the nitrous and fuel going into the engine. The "shot" is based around the jets you put in; it has nothing to do with the Utec.

You don't need a tps switch because the Utec will handle that as well. But you NEED to have 2.6 software installed, *NOT* the 2.8 your Utec will come with. TurboXS sucks as far as customer service goes and they have been sitting on this issue for years with no fix other than turning back the software.

There is no reason to raise your rev limiter past stock unless you have the internals to handle it. You lose power up there and you're wasting time and engine life when you could just shift and get it over with. If the AT takes a second to shift, then shift earlier; raising the fuel cut off will only hurt you.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Verilath

Dynotune makes a tps and rpm curtain 2-in-1 management switch. Would it be more reliable and easier to use that with Osiris tune? Or is utec the preffered ecu management option on nitrous injected setups?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
ninous26

I know you need different jet sizes for the bigger shots.. I was just discussing what was better to use and if its worth it doing 100..

Ok so I learned not to up the Red line. Check. Thanks for that..

It is fine with me that if I don't have a switch the UTEC will engage nitrous past x rpms if I floor it because I will only be using the nitrous in set up races and use the Nitrous map.. Other than that I will be in the N/A tune map. That will never have the Nitrous armed.

Lucky for the Z guys you could just reach back and open the bottle and then switch to the N20 map. For us G guys we have to go all the way back to the trunk.

It would be nice to have a bottle opener with map selector.. So last question that needs to be answered.. Tranny, can it hold a 100 shot?

Thank you very much for the help and info!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
gassed

Im just a noob but would a remote switch for the utec, and a automatic bottle opener solve this problem?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
mgrotel

get a trans cooler and a transgo kit and you will be fine what a 100 shot. the trangso will shift much much faster so that also solves your redline concern.

i would use the utec as the tps and wot switch. its already set up for it like you said.

remote opener, remote heater switch are both nice additions. i would recommend a nit pressure guage as well so the tuner knows they are at the correct pressure when tuning