Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

nitrous instal pic

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:37 AM
philsill350z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous instal pic

hey can u guys post your engnecompartmet and where u put your solendoids and do i have to run the nos lne undr the car
Old 12-30-2003, 10:59 AM
MySunset350Z

you can run it under the car, but i wouldnt recommend it. theres more chance for things to go wrong. rock, pothole, you never know. i ran mine inside the car along the driver side. its more work then running it outside the car, but you have piece of mind that nothing is gonna puncture it.

you can mount your seleniods wherever you want as long as its within 2feet of your fogger. just make sure that you have enough hose from your seleniod to your fogger.

here's my pic, but you really cant see anything becuase i was going for a somewhat stealth look. you can see the fuel seleniod towards the back left, but i've moved it since taking that pic to make it hidden. just to give you an idea though.
Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-mount1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 AM
MySunset350Z

Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-mount.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
PassiveAssault

Nice hidden install, but isn't it "solenoid", not "selenoid". Not to be picky or anything...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:32 PM
philsill350z
Banned

wht did u use to mount them
Old 12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
MySunset350Z

Originally posted by PassiveAssault
Nice hidden install, but isn't it "solenoid", not "selenoid". Not to be picky or anything...

ur right. it is soleniod.

as for the installation. your kit should come with mounting brackets, nuts and bolts to install the solenoids. i did have to make a custom bracket to mount the purge soleniod because the other bracket wasnt cuttin it and i was tight on space. if yours didnt, its not a big deal, just buy a thin (1/8 inch is plenty 1/16 is easier to work with) piece of aluminum or just reg. metal cut it to the length and width you need and drill holes. pretty simple just takes a little bit of time.

let me know if i misspelled ne thing
Old 12-31-2003, 12:21 AM
12SecZ

The first time at the track and a line ruptures and your car fills with the sulphar from the N20 you will regret running it inside bro.

Jeremy that died from lung cancer didn't want to buy a blow down tube either (vents to atmosphere if bottle blows.)

NHRA won't pass you on tech either if you purge all the time and they get nosy.

Nice clean setup though, just seen too many cars go into walls I guess. Getting old.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:19 AM
belerin

Originally posted by 12SecZ
The first time at the track and a line ruptures and your car fills with the sulphar from the N20 you will regret running it inside bro.

Jeremy that died from lung cancer didn't want to buy a blow down tube either (vents to atmosphere if bottle blows.)

NHRA won't pass you on tech either if you purge all the time and they get nosy.

Nice clean setup though, just seen too many cars go into walls I guess. Getting old.
Sissy! run the lines through the car. Here's why:

1. Stealth install: when you take back to the dealer for maintenance they will easily see zip tied steel braided nitrous lines under the car. they wont if they are in the car.

2. Easier install: easier to pop the door sills and run the nitrous lines through the car then zip tie-ing the **** out of it and making sure it doesn;t get snagged or is not near moving parts.

3. Nitrous is safe: dentist's use N20! the automotive n20 has sulfur, but that just makes it taste and small bad for those of us who love those whip its. I used to do my share of pharmecutical grade nitrous for fun and so far (besides the dead brain cells), i am still going strong. I am very active and never had any problems with my lungs. Also, when i first got into nitrous, I brought the bottle up at a party at my house and tried to hit it to see how bad the nitrous was, it tasted like absolute **** and the smell/taste stayed with us all night. Not bad for you, just stinks.

4. Nitrous is safe #2: I had the nitrous line (not rupture) but leak all in the car before. I forgot to tighten the line on the bottle one of my civics which was gutted so the line filled up the passenger compartment with smoke. It came out the windows like we were smokin out in the car, but no ill effects.

5. MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME: I did not have to drill any holes in my trunk or car to get the nitrous lines outside, underneath the car because why? Because I ran them through the car. The last thing you want to do is drill some holes in the trunk or where ever you put the bottle and not seal them properly. you'll have a nice mildew smell that I am sure all the girls will love....

But if you want to, run them under the car. Sorry for the sarcasm, but the guy who posted about the cancer doesn't really no what he is talking about. These threads are intended to provide accurate assistance to those who need it, not disseminate not so factual facts that just confuse everybody.

Happy New Year.

me tonight -> after hitting the nitrous tank.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:00 PM
12SecZ

Educate yourself b4 you name call.

N20 is different than the N20 Dentists use.

Then well, there are the NHRA rules and the Law, you know, little things like that. Be more careful what you post before someone who doesn't know better goes to take a hit off the N20 bottle and dies from the sulphar they add to stop people from doing what you just mentioned.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 PM
12SecZ

You need to stop posting this nonsense.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitr...us_info2.shtml

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/pr...0/icsc0074.pdf

"4. Nitrous is safe #2: I had the nitrous line (not rupture) but leak all in the car before. I forgot to tighten the line on the bottle one of my civics which was gutted so the line filled up the passenger compartment with smoke. It came out the windows like we were smokin out in the car, but no ill effects. "

And if you were at 108 mph at the track and this happened with the windows up (NHRA Rule?)

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-01-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:19 PM
belerin

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Educate yourself b4 you name call.

N20 is different than the N20 Dentists use.

Then well, there are the NHRA rules and the Law, you know, little things like that. Be more careful what you post before someone who doesn't know better goes to take a hit off the N20 bottle and dies from the sulphar they add to stop people from doing what you just mentioned.
Yes, I already mentioned that the dentist nitrous and racing nitrous are different because of the addition of hydrogen sulfide that cause the smell/taste issue I spoke of.

I would never suggest anyone do "hit" the nitrous bottle. I don't have a problem subjecting myself to such stupidities, but I strongly suggest other not do it. I was just saying that i have done it an nothing happened to me. Also, for all those people who now want to try sucking on the nitrous bottle. Please read the following excerpt, especially about dying:

Background: Hydrogen sulfide (HS) is a colorless gas that reeks of rotten eggs.

Pathophysiology: Significant HS poisoning usually occurs by inhalation. Local irritant effects, along with arrest of cellular respiration, may follow.

Mortality/Morbidity: Low-level exposures usually produce local eye and mucous membrane irritation, while high-level exposures rapidly produce fatal systemic toxicity. Exposures of 700-800 ppm or greater usually result in death.

I agree with the NHRA rules if you plan to be a serious track racer. If you go to the track once in awhile to see what your car runs or just for fun, IMHO, you probably don't need to follow them exactly. Like I said, I always get through the tech ins. However, the are there for a reason, just like street racing is very dangerous and illegal. I was just saying what I do, not telling others what to do. Obviously, I tend to be a risk taker.

So before this thread diverges too far from its initial intent, I digress. Street racing, hitting nitrous, and not following NHRA is bad. So running the nitrous lines outside the car may be better for people to do. For me, it wasn't for the reasons I explained.

Happy New Year! too bad the track is closed until the end of January.

Hey, the website you posted brings back memories from my X days.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:45 PM
12SecZ

OK then back on track
Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-4paul1640.jpg  
Old 01-01-2004, 06:46 PM
12SecZ

Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-3tbtap640.jpg  
Old 01-01-2004, 06:48 PM
12SecZ

Track On peeps!
Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-7purging640.jpg  
Old 01-01-2004, 06:49 PM
12SecZ

purge mount, extended with aluminum tubing out to windshield
Attached Thumbnails nitrous instal pic-6purgecloser640.jpg  
Old 01-01-2004, 06:53 PM
12SecZ

One last thing I noticed, you a trunk, we have coupe hatchbacks, in the trunk bottom is a drain plug you can grommet (no drilling) route out that plug hole, then on the bottom follow the brake lines, their is a 4 box connector there holding 3 lines with one empty slot just for your N20 line, then run it up the engine and into the brake compartment. From the bottle to this point you should not have had to make one drill or cut. Hope this helps, I forget you have a trunk in the G we don't in the Z.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:25 PM
MySunset350Z

max, y didnt you say you were 12secz man? all this time im wondering who this guy is that is asking the same questions i want to know the answers to and drives a AT5.

i actually do have a blow down tube installed because it is drag strip rules in my area as well. i dont know how nice the roads are in your area, but i have a much higher chance of puncturing my n2o line if i run it under my car rather then inside the car. the roads are terrible here, specially this time of year.

as for the n2o line leaking, you really shouldnt have a problem with that if your line isnt kinked, and your not running psi's above the max limit of the line. if you have a psi sensor (from bottle heater) hooked up to your bottle, there really is no need to worry about running too much pressure in the lines. besides that, its installer error and ur on ur own with that one.

peace
Old 01-01-2004, 09:40 PM
12SecZ

Yeah it's me sorry bro.

I am gonna go relax and sign off, your setup rocks. Just don't suck on the bottle, you will be aight.

Besides you are a 12secman yourself on da bottle too right bro?

I am gonna go watch a DVD, I am off tonight.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 PM
mp3car

Not to beat a dead horse.... and slightly off topic...
But....

It is not Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) It is Sulfur Dioxide (SO2).

I beleive the requirement is no more than 100ppm in the bottle. But, it must contain SO2 b/c without it, you would be breaking a lot of drug laws, such as in Florida it is illegal to posses more than 16 grams (tanks hold 10Lbs or ~4.5kg) of N2O if it doesn't contain Sulfur Dioxide.

The SO2 mixes with the moisture in your nose/mouth/lungs to form Sulfurous Acid, H2SO3, wich i think has a pH of about 2.

CO2 will do almost the same thing, ever inhale over a glass or bubling soda?? or put your mouth over an empty 2liter and try to "colapse" the bottle?? it will burn kinda bad if you try the bottle thing... In that case, CO2 is disolving (reacting) in water to form carbonic acid (i think).

Now, N2O is not nearly as solluable or reactable in water as SO2.... Meaning.... if you buble the N2O/SO2 mixture from a auto nitrous tank, you will remove nearly ALL the SO2. And, the nitrous itself, came from the same source as a medical tank before the SO2 was added. Just like welding oxygen is usually filled from the same O2 tank that fills medical O2 tanks.

If one were to try to build something to filter the SO2 out of the nitrous, while granted you probably wont be breaking the "posseion of nitrous without SO2" type of law, there are still many laws that explicitly say "the act of inhaling" or "dispensing".

Also, one way people can die from this is they will strap on a mask (of just N2O, no O2) or they fill up a bag and put it over their head...

The ideal situation for illegal inhaling would be to have a welding oxygen tank (which as I mentioned is the same O2, especially if you are certain there were no impurities in your tank before it was refilled with O2) and a N2O tank with a setup to filter out the SO2. (a few gallons of water, maybe with a little baking soda, formed in a vertical column, ~4 feet tall; a large 'bong'). Using two flow meters, one after the filter, and one right after the O2 tank (but there is a tube out in the N2O tank, which would cause liquid N2O into the Regulator if the tube is not removed).

Then the flow meters could be set to a typical dentist mixture can usually be around 30/70 to 50/50 in flow ratio of nitrous/Oxygen. Usually about 5-7 liters/min total flow rate.

However, Nitrous leaves the body unchanged.... you breath in nitrous, that means you breath out nitrous.... that's why the dentists use a vacuum constantly removing the air from the little mask thing you wear... the gas mix (O2 and N2O), after it fills a bag (you dont breath at a constant rate, so the bag fills constantly, is emptied when you inhale, and while you are not inhaling it fills back up) is brought to the mask with a hose, and then the other side of the mask has a hose that is a vacuum, usually eventually ending up outside.

Now, of course all this information has been for EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. I do not intend, or reccomend that anyone ACTUALLY TRY TO BUILD this setup. Reasons: 1) N2O is not life sustaining, and can/will kill you 2) Nitrous is under about 700-800psi, 3) Oxygen is about 2000psi if I remember right.

Last edited by mp3car; 01-08-2004 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:29 AM
belerin

sounds like a plan.... thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: nitrous instal pic