Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

VQ35HR Nitrous Install (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
xslangx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ35HR Nitrous Install (VIDEO)

Hey everyone, just a quick vid of my setup! Hopefully it helps someone out there, feel free to ask anything.

So Far 8 bottles ran through the system and it's still a champ! Just switched to 100whp jets and WOW big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMF5F...ature=youtu.be

MODS:

NITROUS:

Nitrous Express VQ35HR Kit
Dynotune Progressive Controller
Nitrous Express GenX-2 Accessory Kit

ENGINE:

Megan Racing Headers
Top Speed Test Pipe
HKS Knockoff Catback
Mishimoto Radiator
JWT Intake's
370z Spark Plugs

SUSPENSION:

Eibach K/W Coilovers Set on Max Low rear, .8 inch from lowest front

INTERIOR:

AEM EUGO in factory Volt Gauge Location
Switches mounted on "Nismo Cover Plate Location"
Dynotune Controller mounted in Storage Cubby

Last edited by xslangx; 01-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
xslangx

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CMF5FKU8o_A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why cant I embed??
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM
xslangx

Any comments or questions Guys??
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Old Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish this subforum had more of this. When I was searching for Z-specific routing/layout ideas, pics were very very hard to come by. Did you run main N2O feeder line thru the trunk floor grommet under the car? How did u route your purge if any?

Also..fair warning, every a$$hat choad trolling on this forum will have some BS remark about what they think you did wrong in your install or some other other nonrelated thing about your car in general. Personally yours is well thought out but the nozzle fitment looks concerning. Are they black siliconed in? Why not use the lock nuts that come with the kit?

Here are a few pics of mine on a Roadster...
Attached Thumbnails VQ35HR Nitrous Install (VIDEO)-bottles.jpg   VQ35HR Nitrous Install (VIDEO)-switches.jpg  

Last edited by Old Rice; 01-24-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the video, wish there were more people like you making DIY videos and talking about their cars.

Couple questions;

1.) How did you route the nos line from the bottle in the trunk>?
2.) how big of a difference did you notice from a 75-100 shot?
3.) How reliable will this kit be long term?
4.) How big of a grin do you get when you spray ?
5.) Is that a custom seat upholster/shiftboot?
6.) Car looks real clean!

Good job, subscribed to your utube channel
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM
EnviedGee35

This is just what im looking for!! Im starting my Nitrous outlet system on my 08 VQ35HR this weekend. Im going to be using a wot tps switch and a window as well. Which color wire did you tap into on the throttle body for the WOT TPS switch and which wire on the coil pack for your window switch? Thanks man!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Old Rice

"Im starting my Nitrous outlet system on my 08 VQ35HR this weekend"

Nitrous Outlet & NX = Best imho...good choice you will be happy.

Last edited by Old Rice; 01-24-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool video. I like the fact that you pointed out what you'd done in the vid instead of just point the camera at it with some music playing in the background.

Originally Posted by Old Rice
I wish this subforum had more of this. When I was searching for Z-specific routing/layout ideas, pics were very very hard to come by.
Not to derail the thread, but here's mine from 2008:
https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxide/376558-i-guess-i-ll-come-out-and-play-too.html
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
xslangx

I wish this subforum had more of this. When I was searching for Z-specific routing/layout ideas, pics were very very hard to come by. Did you run main N2O feeder line thru the trunk floor grommet under the car? How did u route your purge if any?

Also..fair warning, every a$$hat choad trolling on this forum will have some BS remark about what they think you did wrong in your install or some other other nonrelated thing about your car in general. Personally yours is well thought out but the nozzle fitment looks concerning. Are they black siliconed in? Why not use the lock nuts that come with the kit?

LOL no the silicone is just extra sealing. It has the nozzle lock nuts for rubber installation xD

I drilled an extra hole in my trunk and fed line under car.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
xslangx

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
Love the video, wish there were more people like you making DIY videos and talking about their cars.

Couple questions;

1.) How did you route the nos line from the bottle in the trunk>?

Drilled a 1/2 sized hold in the floor board, goes straight down!
2.) how big of a difference did you notice from a 75-100 shot?

HUGE.
3.) How reliable will this kit be long term?

With the added fuel pressure safety switch and my 1.0 second progressive ramp time from 50% I would say very reliable.
4.) How big of a grin do you get when you spray ?

WAY to big, it makes the car boring when my bottles empty, and actually keeps me from driving like an asshat without it...
5.) Is that a custom seat upholster/shiftboot?

Yes
6.) Car looks real clean!

Thanks

Good job, subscribed to your utube channel

Heyyyyyy
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
xslangx

"Im starting my Nitrous outlet system on my 08 VQ35HR this weekend"

Nitrous Outlet & NX = Best imho...good choice you will be happy.

I have had nothing but help from the guys at Nitrous Supply (Mike Thermos and friends) He was actually one of the owners of NOS and he sold it and created NItrous Supply, those guys KICK ***. Help me with any problem I have every had at minimal cost to me..real sweathearts.

Dynotune has very good quality/price stuff.

Nitrous Express is by far one of the best N2O kits out there and a lot of engineering goes into their solenoids and nozzles, it shows.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
xslangx

Originally Posted by EnviedGee35
This is just what im looking for!! Im starting my Nitrous outlet system on my 08 VQ35HR this weekend. Im going to be using a wot tps switch and a window as well. Which color wire did you tap into on the throttle body for the WOT TPS switch and which wire on the coil pack for your window switch? Thanks man!

I'll post another vid with the wiring information the next day I have off! I can't recall off the top of my head...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
xslangx

Old Rice, How do you like the Nano Kit? I have been going back and forth with the Owner and his wife to score a 3000psi street kit for 350$ shipped, I really hate losing power after half the bottle...wasted nitrous makes me
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Old Rice

Originally Posted by xslangx
Old Rice, How do you like the Nano Kit? I have been going back and forth with the Owner and his wife to score a 3000psi street kit for 350$ shipped, I really hate losing power after half the bottle...wasted nitrous makes me
Well if you intend any formal bracket drag racing, NHRA rules may not allow NANOs (I am not sure exactly). If you are like me and use it for late night closed course field testing, then it is AWESOME!. Here are the advantages imo..

PROs
1. Reduced wiring/switch/relay work during system install
2. More solid runs at tuned 950psi (8-10 solid runs @ 100whp jets/10lb bottle) therefore more N2O used and not residual leftover.
3. NANO has mini gauge which can be used to determine how much N2O in bottle before refill
4. Safer...no accidental "ooops I left the heater on"
5. Puts you at or near tuned psi instantly, eliminating wait times for warm up.
6. NANO fittings are the same as paintball gun equipment so easily sourced. Also you theorically could use it to power a semi automatic paintball gun during the off-season...(but I digress, lol)

CONS
1. Hot summer days will require you to chill-pack the bottles as environmental heat over 87d F will increase your starting PSI. That is why I have velcro straps around my bottles for chill blankets.
2. 3000psi kit is easier for refill locations over 4500psi. 4500psi can be filled at paintball\scuba stores and is a smaller bottle profile where space is a concern (i.e. roadster trunk)
3. Cost to refill NANO is 3-4$ so ongoing spend when compared to warmers.
4. Bottles will need to be re-certified after so many years (maybe 5?)
5. NANOs should be slightly overfilled (i.e. 3500psi) since you lose up to 500psi upon initial opening to hit the checkvalve on ur 10LB bottle.

Last edited by Old Rice; 01-25-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM
SemperZ

great vid and good tips. So OEM 370Z plugs are one step colder and work for 07-08 HR? Thats awesome news that I was not aware of...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Old Rice

OP...are 370z plugs Iridium or Copper? I am guessing Iridium. Whats the brand\code

Also what did use to seal threads on your NPT fittings into the solenoids? Curious as this is highly debated. I had great luck with Loctite Blue.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
!Z!

Nice video i am in the mist of installing the 370z plugs on my ZHR. The Nissan code for the plugs i got are (22401-EW61C) or Denso (FXE22HR11)
I was also thinking about buying the NANO for my Z but it is so expensive and i am not sure how long the nano last before it needs a fill up or where i can get it filled.

OP...are 370z plugs Iridium or Copper? I am guessing Iridium. Whats the brand\code

Also what did use to seal threads on your NPT fittings into the solenoids? Curious as this is highly debated. I had great luck with Loctite Blue.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
xslangx

Originally Posted by SemperZ
great vid and good tips. So OEM 370Z plugs are one step colder and work for 07-08 HR? Thats awesome news that I was not aware of...
Yes they are 1 step colder and direct drop in!

They are Iridium, I used locktite red that was included with my nitrous express kit.

Originally Posted by !Z!
Nice video i am in the mist of installing the 370z plugs on my ZHR. The Nissan code for the plugs i got are (22401-EW61C) or Denso (FXE22HR11)
I was also thinking about buying the NANO for my Z but it is so expensive and i am not sure how long the nano last before it needs a fill up or where i can get it filled.

Nano costs about 3-5$ to fill up and will run parallel with your bottle. Any Paintball/Airsoft shop will fill them! It will allow consistent 950psi performance no matter how cold outside. You can score them for around 400$ all day shipped on ebay and Im trying to bargain into a 350$ deal
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
EnviedGee35

Ive been trying to find out what plugs to go with for mine too. Is the general consensus that the 370 plugs are the way to go even though they are iridium?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
xslangx

Originally Posted by EnviedGee35
Ive been trying to find out what plugs to go with for mine too. Is the general consensus that the 370 plugs are the way to go even though they are iridium?

370z Plugs are proven 1 step colder, they have been running fine with my 100whp shot.

At 60mph when its cold out I burn out everywhere EVEN with 295's in the rear I have my progressive set at 49% start and 1.5 second ramp to 100% on WOT, still burns out everywhere lol!

Quick Reply: VQ35HR Nitrous Install (VIDEO)