Bottle heater question - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Bottle heater question

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM
  #1  
Dhoffman
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oviedo,fl
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Bottle heater question

Has anyone used two bottle heaters off of one 12v source? The reason I ask is that even here in Florida I have trouble heating the bottle to 950psi @ 70 degrees.
Dhoffman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM
  #2  
Conway_160
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pan Handle
Posts: 1,876
Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dhoffman View Post
Has anyone used two bottle heaters off of one 12v source? The reason I ask is that even here in Florida I have trouble heating the bottle to 950psi @ 70 degrees.

It's not the 12V source you need to worry about, its the AMPs the heaters draw and what the fuse your source has. If the Heaters only draw 8amp each then any 20amp 12v source should work. Best bet would be to just run a wire from the battery to a toggle switch with an ample fuse inline.
Conway_160 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM
  #3  
Dhoffman
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oviedo,fl
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Bottle heater

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
It's not the 12V source you need to worry about, its the AMPs the heaters draw and what the fuse your source has. If the Heaters only draw 8amp each then any 20amp 12v source should work. Best bet would be to just run a wire from the battery to a toggle switch with an ample fuse inline.
Thanks for the response. I have my bottle heater wired to the batter and a a toggle switch already. Where the toggle switch run to the heater could I splice into the existing two wires that run to the heater and run two heaters On one switch? Not sure what the amp draw on the Zex heater is.
Dhoffman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:06 PM
  #4  
Conway_160
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pan Handle
Posts: 1,876
Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dhoffman View Post
Thanks for the response. I have my bottle heater wired to the batter and a a toggle switch already. Where the toggle switch run to the heater could I splice into the existing two wires that run to the heater and run two heaters On one switch? Not sure what the amp draw on the Zex heater is.
You need to get a hold of Zex and see what the max draw of 1 heater is. IF and ONLY IF you have a strong enough switch and fuse can you run them on a single wire. You need to do some research and find out what guage of wire you need for the amps needed and the distance of the source from the battery.

NVM i got you on the wire size you may need
For 15' of wire with a 15A or 20A draw you need to use at least 10 Gauge wire.
For 15' of wire with a 25A or 30A draw you need to use at least 8 Gauge wire.
For 15' of wire with a 40A draw you need to use at least 8 Gauge wire.

Here is a Chart you can use for reference.
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...gauge-to-amps/
Conway_160 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:53 PM
  #5  
Dhoffman
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oviedo,fl
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
You need to get a hold of Zex and see what the max draw of 1 heater is. IF and ONLY IF you have a strong enough switch and fuse can you run them on a single wire. You need to do some research and find out what guage of wire you need for the amps needed and the distance of the source from the battery.

NVM i got you on the wire size you may need
For 15' of wire with a 15A or 20A draw you need to use at least 10 Gauge wire.
For 15' of wire with a 25A or 30A draw you need to use at least 8 Gauge wire.
For 15' of wire with a 40A draw you need to use at least 8 Gauge wire.

Here is a Chart you can use for reference.
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...gauge-to-amps/
thanks. I will research
Dhoffman is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dhoffman For This Useful Post:
Conway_160 (09-12-2018)
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
birdman542905
Exterior & Interior
7
10-22-2012 12:02 AM
ericinmiami
Nitrous Oxide
1
02-16-2004 12:25 PM
cyberz350
Nitrous Oxide
6
02-05-2004 02:40 PM
12SecZ
Nitrous Oxide
6
04-15-2003 02:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bottle heater question


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: