Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

NRH Transmission Upgrades for Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004 | 09:22 AM
More Power

Default NRH Transmission Upgrades for Nitrous Oxide

I'm hearing good things about NRH Transmissions in Jessup, MD, for upgrading our A5T for Nitrous Oxide or forced induction. They go through and strengthen everything that needs it in the tranny to handle the extra power of Nitrous or forced induction and make the shifts quicker so that you can leave the tranny in full auto mode and not hit the rev limiter before it shifts to the next higher gear for qtr. mile sprints, etc. (That has been a problem for most in this forum that have Nitrous or forced induction with the stock A5T.) Quicker, firmer downshifts also for spirited driving. Do you guys/gals have any opinion or feedback on NRH? I already know about Level 10 in NJ and Edge Racing tranny upgrades. Just wondering about NRH which is near me in MD. I heard that he built some A5T trannys for 350Z Nitrous users in our area (MD, VA, PA) and one for an HKS supercharger on a 350Z.

Just curious about feedback on results and satisfaction.

Last edited by More Power; 11-06-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2004 | 10:26 PM
MySunset350Z

do they upgrade the whole tranny or just the torque converter?
Old 11-07-2004 | 03:34 AM
More Power

They are very very thorough from what they tell me. They say they do it like Nissan would build a stronger tranny. From the inside out. Now first let me say, I have always been a manual tranny guy and don't know that much about ATs. That's why I'm asking questions on this forum. An injury to my left ankle makes the auto tranny best for me now. NRH said they have built some 350Z A5Ts for Nitrous users. I am planning on an HKS supercharger but a better stronger A5T for nitrous or for forced induction has a lot of common issues. NRH says they go all the way through the transmission and upgrade everything that might be a weakness. Here's what I remember from our discussion. Increase clutch capacity. Stronger input billet shaft. Up the stall speed a bit to 2200 - 2400 rpms – we are to discuss that more later. Balance and blue print tranny. Add transmission cooler. Upgrade torque converter - something about a 300 M shaft. Valve body modification but not quite as aggressively as Level 10 does it. They said a little slip is good and not as much shock to engine and tranny parts. I plan to call him back and get a more complete list of all they do. He had an entire laundry list of little things they do to make the tranny stronger and give you quicker firmer up and down shifts, but not hard shifts which are hard on parts. Said the tranny could easily handle 600 hp at the level of upgrade I was discussing with them for my adding an HKS supercharger, Crawford plenum, RT hi flow cats, and cat back exhaust. I will be at approx. 350 hp to the wheels, but may add another 100 hp later so accommodating the later power increase is built into the equation we are discussing for now. They have more upgrades for people that run even more hp. They say they can fix the A5T so that it shifts in the fully auto mode before the engine hits the rev limiter. This has been a real problem with the 350Z with A5Ts sporting super or turbo chargers. They say they have a lot of experience with Nissan trannys specifically and seem very knowledgeable. Sounds like a real nice guy to work with as well. They say they have already done an A5T for an HKS supercharger (like I plan to get) as well as 350Z nitrous users. They will guarantee the auto tranny for the life of the car after their upgrades. That's all I remember from our first conversation. I'm planning to get more specific info before I have the work done. Thought some on this forum might have some feedback from me in the MD, PA, VA, WV area. I was referred to them by someone in NJ who said NRH was more thorough than Level 10 in NJ. Conceptually, the NRH approach is just what I need and want. The A5T will have quicker, firmer, shifts, able to handle a lot more power with long term reliability, but still be a comfortable shifter for the daily driver commuting in it that I do.
Old 11-07-2004 | 01:30 PM
ChromiumBlue

I dont know about NRH, they seem good and all but I need to stay close to home so for ppl in TX I recommend SGP Racing, they do tranny and engine rebuilds. www.sgpracing.com, but, if NRH can give me a better deal, and the ability to insure a safe install then I'd have to go with them.
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:10 PM
JeffesonM

FWIW... some turbo maxima guy had his auto built at NRH and was happy with the results.
Old 01-27-2005 | 09:16 PM
cbrflyer919

At the level your talking about going with what was the estimated cost?