Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike that is a very nice car. Personally I dont think you can take the Z on the highway, even with a couple of bolt-ons. I guess there is only one way to find out. Anyways, congrats on the new car.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
blueper4mancez

yeah johnathan , you should find out . with downpipe exhaust and tune that ms3 will put down 300whp .

billy is getting another daily driver , that will put all n/a Z to shame lols .

Last edited by blueper4mancez; 03-24-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
MikeNT256

Well I have to be frank, I haven't bought it yet. I'm obligated on waiting to sign the paperwork until my truck is fully out of my name. My lease is being taken over, but the guy had originally asked me to wait till April 15th since his lease will be over. While waiting, on Feburary 26th, my truck got dented and scratched by a person who backed out of their driveway and didn't see it. It was a FoMoCo company car. Their insurance took literally an entire month before finally sending me the approval on the estimate. $1500 ($535 on just the wheel!!). The new buyer already knows, and we're just waiting it out. Truck just got dropped off today to get repaired.

The car will be purchase by mid April. It's just hangin out at the dealer for now. It's funny how it happened though. Me and my gf went on Valentines Day to check out the Caliber SRT4 and the MS3. I fell in love with the MS3. The sales guy told me the new revised 08.5's weren't coming in till late March/early April which actually ended up working out perfect. I just didn't anticipate the car getting to the dealer so soon. Now I have to wait. Oh well, we're supposed to get snow and whatnot, so no big deal I guess.

So far I will not be modding it right away (for money reasons) but exhaust/and or/exhaust is a dangerous mod. The turbo bearings are a floating design. Anyone who has done a downpipe, test pipe, turbo back exhaust or catback exhaust has resulted in failing bearings and a smoking/ruined turbo.

I hear 3rd gear is insane on this car, and i've watched a few vids of the MS3 pulling along pretty nicely with a Z so i'm sorta excited I get the best of both worlds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyl6s9UYPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-78hZlJfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJzo...eature=related

Aj - Let me know who that is! I'd love to get in touch and find out what he's got done. And you're certainly right, it's way better on gas, back in a manual, time to have fun finally!!

Jonny - Yes, once I break it in, i'd love to go heads up with ya! Although I still have to fine tune my manual skills. It's honestly been a while since i've been back in a manual. And plus, I wouldn't mind learning a few tips if anyone can make suggestions on scenarios and how to do better at shifting in high accel situations.

Last edited by MikeNT256; 03-24-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
blueper4mancez

lols at exhaust ruined the turbo . i guess i got to take off my downpipe and exhaust on my turbo Z then .
Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
MikeNT256

Well i'm not saying it ruins all turbo's. Technically from what I understand, exhausts (especially bigger diameter) are much better for turbos to release that backpressure and let the turbo flow.

But consequently enough, alot of MS3 guys who swap to aftermarket exhausts end up with failing turbo bearings. Atleast everyone who has done a Turbo-Back or a Testpipe/downpipe set up have. Not as many with the catbacks have had it.

It was supposed to be an issue only with the 07's and a faulty batch of turbos from Borg-Warner/Hitachi but it seems like it's not just the 07 model year.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...=smoking+turbo
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
blueper4mancez

i guess it only happen in these car then mike my apology to you sir. anyways downpipe and exhaust help the turbo breathe alot better , there goes for more efficiency and help release all the exhaust gas help the turbo runs alot cooler . i may get one as well time to get rid of the audi .
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 PM
MikeNT256

No problems. By no means will I attempt to sound like a pro. It's my first boosted car, so i've been trying to absorb as much info as I can regarding the car. If I do end up getting exhaust, I may stick with the Mazdaspeed exhaust that is a full 3" exhaust but they're not really recommending 3" unless you're pushing 300hp+. I'm sure a short ram intake and a tune could change that. But i'd feel more comfortable getting a Boost gauge installed to monitor the stock boost, and make sure the crappy plastic BPV doesn't start leaking boost.

I'm starting to feel like i'm making the MS3 out to be an unreliable car, but I think it's just the fact theres alot to keep in consideration with a turbo car in general. I'm not really worried about it to be honest. It's a fun project for me.

I didn't understand your post at the end Blueper4mancez, you want to get rid of your Audi for what?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
blueper4mancez

maybe a ms3 as well or an evo 8 , keeping the twinturbo Z though .
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM
MikeNT256

Originally Posted by blueper4mancez
maybe a ms3 as well or an evo 8 , keeping the twinturbo Z though .
I considered getting the new Evo but didn't feel like putting myself in that sort of financial strain. My buddy just cashed out on a 08 WRX STI loaded. $42 otd..too high for me.

I think you'd appreciate the price and practicality of the MS3. With an Evo8, it's a guarantee that someone raped it. For around the same price, i'd personally prefer brand new, 1st owner. Performance cars are tough to find especially Evo's that weren't abused. Otherwise, Evo's are simply amazing!

Guys - we should arrange a meet like May 1st or something? Like a BBQ or something to kick off 08?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Datona Jess

Mike-my buddy Joe worked at a Mazda dealer, and he said they were having alot of problems with the turbo's with the cars coming back in.
Thats why he never got one..just watch it when you mod that thing, it LOVES to make power REAL easy. Good grab though hopefully everything works out on your truck. The other thing I didn't like about it was that it seems to run out of breath after 5500 rpm...

I am game for a BBQ
Though with it snowing still, I think May 1 might be a bit too early still...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 AM
BobaFettm

whos got the silver Z with the carbon trunk? they are asking about you on xceedspeed
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 AM
MikeNT256

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Mike-my buddy Joe worked at a Mazda dealer, and he said they were having alot of problems with the turbo's with the cars coming back in.
Thats why he never got one..just watch it when you mod that thing, it LOVES to make power REAL easy. Good grab though hopefully everything works out on your truck. The other thing I didn't like about it was that it seems to run out of breath after 5500 rpm...

I am game for a BBQ
Though with it snowing still, I think May 1 might be a bit too early still...
Yeah 07 was the first model year for the MS3 and they did have all their first issues within that year. Not as many people have had as many problems in 08, although they are revising a motor mount recall that was only for 07's. The turbo's floating bearing seal is just a characteristic of the design. So i'm gonna have to be real careful, but I don't think i'd want to exceed 300whp. It's gonna cost alot more money in suspension, brakes, tires to keep that car in check after 300whp (atleast IMO).

Mazda programmed for the PCM to close the throttle plate 30% after 5500rpm to reduce boost and engine damage. I've heard you can program that out but then again it is there for a reason. I'd imagine between direct injection and the turbo, you don't need to redline it like a typical 4 cyl. It's got tons of low end torque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbfr9h-5-Rc

An interesting discovery yesturday. Measured the speed bumps at my apt complex. They're around 4" high. The MS3 has 4.8" of ground clearance . My buddy's 08 STI has 6.1" and he bounced over them no problem. Guess my neighbors are gonna hate following me out of the complex..

Last edited by MikeNT256; 03-25-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Jonny Boy

Maybe all of us can head down to the xceedspeed BBQ. Or we can set up out own. I cant watch any of the vids because I am at work but ill check them out later.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 AM
MikeNT256

When's the xceedspeed bbq? I went like 3 or 4 years ago. It was okay..a ton of cars, and alot of recklessness lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
zbrid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when and where is the xceedspeed BBQ ??
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Jonny Boy

I dont know yet, but I will find out. I know a group of us went and had a good time last year. I know it is at Lake Erie Metropark.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
zbrid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonny Boy, cool lake Erie Metropark is only 15 minutes away from me!!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
jeff91ta

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
whos got the silver Z with the carbon trunk? they are asking about you on xceedspeed

I have one guess and that's Billy.... I know he has a CF spoiler but the hatch would be new. Only a guess though.

Billy -- I saw in your sig that you got that Seibon hood from Yancy.... did you also pick up a CF hatch???
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
blueper4mancez

nahh dude i like my stock hatch with the spoiler . still debating if i should in stall the hood or not .
Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm pretty sure that xceedspeed is the same day as the first Waterford Hills open track day. Track > parking.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3