Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 AM
jeff91ta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A high performance driving class at Gingerman would be a good time... I would be in for this, I think I just need new endlinks and a helmet.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
A high performance driving class at Gingerman would be a good time... I would be in for this, I think I just need new endlinks and a helmet.

I went to this last year and I will be going again this year. I can garuntee you will have a blast. It is so worth the money. I didnt realize this at the time but my endlinks were gone when I went to the track, and the sway bars were hanging on litterally only by a few threads.

If your looking for a Helmet, go to soloracer.com. There is a brand called pyrotec, and it is a sub company of Bell racing. There have one that is exactly the same as the bell M2 (I think) If I remember corectly they are only like $250.00 which is 350 less than the bell. Just because of the name. They have all the correct approvals from DOT and snell.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM
ODEHBOY

i really dont kno where thats at.. i meant to say drag day lol

Milan anyone?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Datona Jess

Billy.
Gotta say your car is stunning as always..
I like it without the CF hood as well...but thats just me.

I hope a bunch of you do go to the Gingerman event.
I will be on my honeymoon for that one.

I am always up for a Milan event.
Haven't not gone in two summers straight...
Gotta keep the tradition alive!!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Jonny Boy

I would set up another Milan Event, but I lost my *** when I tried to rent it out last year and it fell through. I am willing to do it again, but I will have to do it in a way that I dont loose out if it fails again. Either that or someone else can take the risk and try it. Just let me know and I will be there.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
BobaFettm

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
Gingerman is gonna be different this year after the renovations. I'd still recommend Grattan over Gingerman though! or if you got ***** Waterford! I love me some waterford track days! We have 3 or 4 waterford track days planned with GLLC. Plus a 2 day forward and backwards at Gingerman and a 3 day forward and backward at Grattan.

Let me know if you guys have any events planned out and ill be sure to jump in there too. I wanna have at least 15 track days in this summer including one mid-ohio
Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Datona Jess

Derrick,
Mid Ohio.
When is that one, that is my FAVORITE track.
I have not been much outside the midwest racing, but that is my fav spot.
When is that event, is there anything open??
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Good to see a healthy craving for track time (road race or drag)! My amount of 'fun' is dependent on how secure the job situation is. Right now it's kinda shaky.. so my spending has come to a halt until employment is secure.

...still lurking...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
AznSky

yeah that's why I'm switching to autox. $25 a day is MUCH easier on the wallet than $150 a day
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Shiawase

Originally Posted by AznSky
yeah that's why I'm switching to autox. $25 a day is MUCH easier on the wallet than $150 a day
Autocrossing is much harder on a car, and you get less in-seat time than you would on track though!

Mid-Ohio scares me, but I'm planning on making a trip out to Putnam this year. It's in Indiana, and it's a very newbie friendly track.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
BobaFettm

Where the hell do you autocross for $25?!?! Yearly dues are outrageous for DR + each event cost for NOT MORE than 12 minutes of seat time... at the most! Its just not worth it... not for the damage to brakes tires car. I autocrossed for 4 seasons before I jumped into track racing.

I did one single autocross with my exige. Completely disappointed how boring it was due to the amount of time and speeds. After you road course it... there isn't any going back IMO.

Gingerman is a great track to go to for your first time. Very easy... Waterford is a blast! just gotta know your car otherwise you'll meet the very close walls! Grattan is imo the best track in Michigan. Its technical and its just overall amazing!

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Derrick,
Mid Ohio.
When is that one, that is my FAVORITE track.
I have not been much outside the midwest racing, but that is my fav spot.
When is that event, is there anything open??
BMWCCA Northern Ohio should be at Mid Ohio around "May 23/24/25" thats what it was last year. I'm gonna be at ZdayZ this year so as long as it doesn't fall on that weekend ill be there!

ill post the GLLC dates once they post them up

I want to go to Putnam also this year! Let me know if you find any groups running it.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
AznSky

I understand everybody's opinion on about autox being "not worth it". It's true, you get TONS of seat time in a HPDE compared to an autox. But the amount an HPDE costs I just can't afford right now. Plus I like the competitive side of autox and the ability to compare your times to others.

Here's my pro's / cons just for kicks

Autox:

Pro's - Can compare times to other people, cheap, quick and easy (doesn't take up the whole day), local, doesn't need a huge amount or any modifications to be competitive, can push the car to the limits without having to worry of wrecking it.

Con's - A total of 4 or 5 minutes of seat time, harder on the car (in a sense) cuz there's no warm-up or cool-down. Not as smooth driving as track driving.

Track:

Pro's - About 1 full hr of seat time. Can go to multiple tracks through the nation and explore. Develop more advanced skills such as heal toe, trail braking etc.

Con's - Expensive. A lot more modifications necessary (ie. bbk, pads, fluids, safety equipment etc.) Takes up the entire day. Expensive. Sometimes have to drive pretty far which may take up the entire weekend. Oh and mention it's expensive?

I mean, I agree with all of you guys, I'd much rather do an HPDE than autox, but only $$ permitting. I still plan on going to a few HPDE's this year like last year, and I want to explore new tracks too besides waterford. I'll just be focusing more on competing for points in autox.

Don't worry, you guys will still be seeing me this year on the track, I'll just be way out in front haha. JUST KIDDING!!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
BobaFettm

Don't have to do much to be competitive in local autocross... PSH! What region are you in? I was in DR and Michigan and holy ****. I got whooped in TDS, BS, BSP, and then in SM2! HOLY ****! in SM2 I had a full carbon fiber Z06 against me and other crazy ****!

I loved autocrossing! When I did it I thought it was so amazing! and it still a blast! but I wouldn't ever say I pushed a car to its limit. I mean even at 518rwhp I never pushed the car to a limit of any sort other than grip LOL

I'm just comparing the prices and not seeing to much of a difference... Open Track days cost not much at all... gives ya more seat time. More enjoyment. Better driving skills if you can get an instructor with ya!

I mean to each their own... im just trying to talk ya into really enjoying your racing experiences!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Datona Jess

Rob, your gonna have to suck it up and do an OTD man.
It is a ton of fun.

Damn, same weekend I am going to be getting ready to go to my wedding.
Damn thing is ruining everything
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Friggin winter.. I had a dream that I couldn't take it anymore and took my Z out for a spin - and immediately cursed myself for driving on salty roads, then slid into somebody on the road.

Need Spring.. Sebring sucks.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Kupalo

Kicker Subs!
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...0-shipped.html
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
AznSky

Dude dont' get me wrong guys, I'd gladly choose a track day over autox anyday if I had the funds. Track days are just too expensive for me right now but I'm sure I'll be going to a few this year.

Kupalo I saw you live in Novi? Any pics/info of ur car? Closest my350z members to you are Me and AJ.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Kupalo

Dude dont' get me wrong guys, I'd gladly choose a track day over autox anyday if I had the funds. Track days are just too expensive for me right now but I'm sure I'll be going to a few this year.

Kupalo I saw you live in Novi? Any pics/info of ur car? Closest my350z members to you are Me and AJ.
Right now I'm only running a stock 07 midnight blue Z, I'm 20. I'm working on a huge audio build right now, then borla and a veilside spoiler. Down the line it'll look rly tight.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Shiawase

Maybe you could consider doing backroading instead of autocrossing too! It's free! It's my personal choice, and it doesn't require registering or anything.

Only downside is the Detroit area doesn't really have any nice "backroading" areas that are easily accessible.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Datona Jess

Kupalo, keep lookin on this page, we meet up a decent amount in the s[pring and summer months.
Good luck with the audio build up, never really seen one in a Z.

Hell Michigan is about the best thing you can get around Metro Detroit.
The roads arer always fun, and I use them ALL the time...
Its just the whole LEGAL thing

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3