Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:54 AM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks Jon, hopefully they take care of you. That's another reason why I'll never own volks or baller rims, just too risky (even though yours were just OEM)

Deepu yea I'd try to drain some out to get it within tolerance. Too much oil can be a bad thing too.

Cleanddong - I wouldn't recommend any tuner in MI. Closest ones I'd trust are Injected Performance in Lexington KY (5 hrs), or SP engineering in Chicago, IL (4 hrs). I'm actually going to Injected this weekend to get my car tuned with Osiris What program were you looking to go with, and what mods do you have?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by mekatoka
I did an oil change yesterday and forgot to check the level and I have a little bit more than recommended. I put in about 5.5 qts of oil. After the car reaches the optimum temps the oil level is about 1 inch higher than the H mark on the dipstick. Can I leave it there or do I need to drain that to the right level?
It turns out that I didn't drain the oil at all. I just removed the old filter, waited for 5 mins and then put in the new filter. Didn't take out the drain plug

So much for doing my own oil change. Well it was a learning experience
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
cleanddong

Originally Posted by AznSky
Cleanddong - I wouldn't recommend any tuner in MI. Closest ones I'd trust are Injected Performance in Lexington KY (5 hrs), or SP engineering in Chicago, IL (4 hrs). I'm actually going to Injected this weekend to get my car tuned with Osiris What program were you looking to go with, and what mods do you have?
well, basically i just bought the 350z couple weeks ago, and previous owner put custom exhaust and some intakes on it. but some reason, when the car is idle, the rpm seems too low.

by the way, i live in east lansing where about an hour away from you live.

we should meet sometime, i saw a lot of sti and evo owners around in michigan. but not many 350z owners.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanddong
well, basically i just bought the 350z couple weeks ago, and previous owner put custom exhaust and some intakes on it. but some reason, when the car is idle, the rpm seems too low.

by the way, i live in east lansing where about an hour away from you live.

we should meet sometime, i saw a lot of sti and evo owners around in michigan. but not many 350z owners.
If you are interested (and if it'll fit) I have full OEM exhaust including cats for sale from a 2006 350Z.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
sig11

So I put the XP10/XP8 pads on Saturday. I think something is up though. I have a really light pedal at first then the feel is relatively normal. Is that normal before they're properly bedded in? I made a (probably poor) attempt at bedding on the country roads down in Illinois, but I can't tell you how affective it was.

They're way quieter than I expected, but hooooooolllyyyy **** the dust. A little bit of air oil sprayed on my wheels and they are black from the oil and brake dust. Definitely stop you like a brick wall too if you hit them hard.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by sig11
So I put the XP10/XP8 pads on Saturday. I think something is up though. I have a really light pedal at first then the feel is relatively normal. Is that normal before they're properly bedded in? I made a (probably poor) attempt at bedding on the country roads down in Illinois, but I can't tell you how affective it was.

They're way quieter than I expected, but hooooooolllyyyy **** the dust. A little bit of air oil sprayed on my wheels and they are black from the oil and brake dust. Definitely stop you like a brick wall too if you hit them hard.
Trust me when I say this, they are not quieter at all Slowly you will start hearing the squealing. I don't see any dust on mine. Did you apply some anti-brake squeal gel on them? I bought those pouches at the auto shop. I cleaned the shims with some WD-40 and then applied that gel.

Regarding the pedal feel, did you get your rotors surfaced? I got mine surfaced before bedding the pads in. I did not have the light pedal feel that you are talking about.

So, you are all set for the track day then?

Last edited by mekatoka; 04-06-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
AznSky

anybody wanna buy a k&n air filter?

https://my350z.com/forum/north-centr...06-airbox.html
Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
sig11

Trust me when I say this, they are not quieter at all Slowly you will start hearing the squealing. I don't see any dust on mine. Did you apply some anti-brake squeal gel on them? I bought those pouches at the auto shop. I cleaned the shims with some WD-40 and then applied that gel.

Regarding the pedal feel, did you get your rotors surfaced? I got mine surfaced before bedding the pads in. I did not have the light pedal feel that you are talking about.

So, you are all set for the track day then?
I did grease 'em down good. I was maybe a little stingy on the first pair, but the rest were more liberally coated.
I haven't had the rotors turned... I probably should, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal according to the guys on the 370 forums.

I've just got to get the sways put on now. I have my replacement connector arm thingie I just need to get the car off the ground and put the new bar in. And find/fix an exhaust rattle at the same time.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
jbuff

Originally Posted by AznSky
That sucks Jon, hopefully they take care of you. Cleanddong - I wouldn't recommend any tuner in MI. Closest ones I'd trust are Injected Performance in Lexington KY (5 hrs), or SP engineering in Chicago, IL (4 hrs). I'm actually going to Injected this weekend to get my car tuned with Osiris What program were you looking to go with, and what mods do you have?
im from sterling heights and got my osiris done at national speed in wilmington...i just happened to be in the area fortunately lol...so take a little vacation and get your car done right!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sig11

might need to bleed your brakes with the light pedal.. Never hurts to bleed 'em. But yeah, I have/had XP8s all around and the dust was the worst of any pad I've ever used.. and they squeak bad at low speeds too.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Jonny Boy

It turns out that I didn't drain the oil at all. I just removed the old filter, waited for 5 mins and then put in the new filter. Didn't take out the drain plug

So much for doing my own oil change. Well it was a learning experience
So you basically had double the amount of oil you needed?!?!?

If that was the case then yes you NEEDED to get the additional oil out.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
cleanddong

does anyone have extra or wanna sell the "stock intake" ??

cuz, i would wanna buy it.

thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 AM
AznSky

^ sent you a msg
Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 AM
skingy

i have a stock intake (off an '04) as well, if rob doesn't hook you up.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
So you basically had double the amount of oil you needed?!?!?

If that was the case then yes you NEEDED to get the additional oil out.
Yes, I only found out at the lube. I went to a nearby lube and asked them to drain a bit as I thought I'd put about half a quart more than needed. So the guy tried to drain a little by loosening the oil filter. He tried several times but the oil level on dipstick wouldn't go down.

After a bit of talk I realized I didn't pull the drain plug at all, duh Anyway, now I know.

So, if the level on oil is just 1 inch more on dipstick it doesn't indicate exactly how much more is in there.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM
skingy

wow, i'm surprised it held that much oil. hate to say it, but you should start over - you still have old oil in there. the new filter should still be good, but drain all oil from the plug, and then put the new oil in.

that's what i would do for peace of mind...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
AznSky

^ +1

My steps for oil change:
- Jack up the car
- Pop the hood, open the oil cap to let air in so it doesn't create a vacuum when drain
- Pull the plug to drain all the old oil out (let it sit for a good 5 minutes), be amazed how dark oil is lol.
- Put a new crush washer on the drain plug
- Re-install drain plug and torque to spec
- Remove old oil filter
- Put some new oil in the new filter, coat the seal well with new oil
- Re-install new oil filter, tighten by hand
- Wipe off oil pan and any oil left around bolt or filter.
- Re-check drain plug torque (I'm ****), re-check oil filter
- Fill up oil.
- Re-check around bolt and filter for any leaks.
- Reinstall everything, put cap back on, close hood
- Start car, go out for a drive around the block
- Come back, check oil level.

Good to go!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Phreakdout

Deepu! I guess I rushed too much when I showed you how to do it.

It's a funny story and a good lesson. If you have new and old oil mixed, you have to drain it all out and start again. Pour out the filter and you can use it again. Don't sweat it. It happens.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM
mekatoka

Good write up there Rob!

The oil was not dark at all. I plan on changing the oil in another 2 weeks. I got the oil change done at the dealer just before putting away for winter. I barely drove 50 miles before putting it away.

Now I have some 200 miles on it. I am too lazy to change the oil again. I have decided one thing that I will not be doing an oil change unless I have some kind of ramps. It's a pain in the butt to put the car on jack stands. It's not worth my time to save 15$.

Brian it's true that we kinda went over it fast Plus, its been such a long time and I forgot. Now, its a learning lesson and I will never forget. Atleast I knew not to drive like that.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
mekatoka

Default My new ride

My new ride (2009 Honda CBR 600RR). I can't wait to ride once the weather gets better Any of you punks wanna race with me
Attached Thumbnails Detroit Area Z List part 3-2009_honda_cbr600rr_green.jpg  

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3