Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM
h8bumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm double posting...

AJ, I got a surprise coming in a few days. It should be getting on a transport trailer Tuesday or Wed, and should arrive at my house later in the week!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Datona Jess

Hey guys, well kind of big news I got that new Job! I put in my two weeks on Wed so I am freelancing for the next two weeks so if anyone needs help with anything car/ house related give me a call, I am seriously doing nothing. Got most of the stuff done around the house in two days ..hahaha. I love how they walk you out when you put in two weeks. HAHAH

Deepu, NEVER take your car to a quick lube... The altima/camry etc who gives a $hit I take normal cars all the time. Your Z though heck no... once you do it a few times you will shave a bunch of time off. What oil you running anyway? I thought you would be running Redline/Motul/ Royal Purple by now.

Brian-give me a call about working on your car seriously not doing much

Maher!!! Dude give me a call ASAP man. If you don't still have my number let me know.
I need to know what I need to help you research mods for..hahah

Rob- yeah with HFC's a tune you get the gains of TP's and other intake mods. Glad it went well though and you had a good experience. I think we need to match yours against the 370 see how well you do! Telling you Maher's pulled like mad after his tune.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
mekatoka

Congrats AJ that's good to know. It's always good when you have sometime off before starting your next job. For me it's always been the other way around. The only time I had off was when I didn't have or couldn't find one Enjoy your time off.

Regarding the work on my Z, yeah at times it's frustrating as I new to this. Hopefully that will lessen as time passes. I am currently using Mobile One oil and filter. I just buy them at Advanced Auto Parts (specials). I get 5qts + oil filter for 21.99$

I have been listening to various exhaust notes and I think for now replacing the HFC's might be enough for me. I am not looking for any power gains, but just some nice audio

I brought my new bike from the dealership in Macomb today. Man, it sucks during the break-in period where you have to ride it in limp mode Can't wait till after the first service
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Phreakdout

Congrats Rob on the tune. I was hoping for more than 5hp. Care to post your curves and peak hp #s? Do you still recommend the tune? I was just in Cincy this afternoon. How long did the tune take?

AJ: Phreak'in awesome! Congrats on the new job. We should grab a beer and you can tell me about it.

Deepu: I think you should consider replacing the exhaust instead of HFC's. True dual systems give the best note. It's easy to go back to stock and it will change the exhaust note more effectively than the HFCs. The HFCs tend to let a bit more high frequency through and that is not pleasing to hear.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Deepu: I think you should consider replacing the exhaust instead of HFC's. True dual systems give the best note. It's easy to go back to stock and it will change the exhaust note more effectively than the HFCs. The HFCs tend to let a bit more high frequency through and that is not pleasing to hear.
Hmm, did not know that. I'll pay attention to that if I can hear that in the test samples posted by other folks. I was just trying to reduce the amount spend Full exhausts cost close to a grand or more.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 AM
AznSky

Deepu: Did you go to the track day yesterday with 3 *****? Congrats again on the bike, be careful. When I rode I didn't enjoy it much cuz I was focused on so much other crap (other cars, shifting, not crashing, being stable). My vote is for cat-back and for the same reasons Brian posted. A used Greddy Evo would be like $600. Or you can even go single and have weight savings too (although I'm sure the Nismo exhaust you have now is pretty good). Oh and plus the fact that we'll be doing the install and cat-back is sooo much easier than HFC's lol.

Brian: Yeah I was a bit dissapointed too, but Hal was telling me a stock DE dyno's roughly 215-220 on his dyno dynamics. My peak was 240 so I'm roughly 20-25 hp over stock which is decent considering my conservative mods I think. On a dyno jet he said I'd be around 275 at the wheels. So that means maybe close to 300 at the crank? lol I'm just extrapolating and extrapolating. But man, was it scary the first time I heard my car go all the way to redline on the dyno, I was afraid it would explode lol.

The main thing is I like the way the car feels afterwards (to the point where I actually want to race people lol, whereas before I had no faith in the car, now I "kinda" do) and my afr's are in the safe zone so I can floor it 24/7 muahaha I'll post up the dyno jet when I get it from Hal. It looks sad, but like I said, the car feels better for sure. Still wish I got the HR though......

Maher: Call me too! I'm sure you don't have my number anymore though lol. I wanna see what the incoming surprise is. Just one question: Domestic or Import?

edit: here's the dyno vid (240 whp on the dyno dynamics, stock DE motor is about 215whp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmFG...layer_embedded

Last edited by AznSky; 04-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 AM
mekatoka

Nope, I didn't sign for yesterday's track day. Originally, I was not supposed to the car out of hibernation till May 15. Besides, whole day yesterday went by doing taxes and picking up the bike. If you are new rider, it definitely feels like there are too many things to look out for. Once you settle down, it come naturally and you enjoy more. I just can't wait for the breakin period to be over. I am just finding reasons to ride it ... LOL

I have decided against using any used parts. I don't want to deal with issues if/when they don't work. I'll see what I can do. My primary goal is to improve exhaust note. I probably will never make any engine changes to my car for tracking ... atleast not in the near future.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Phreakdout

I love my Greddy EVO II exhaust. I plan to make one small change to it to get a little deeper sound. Replace the two Y-sections with an X-pipe. This will be a couple hundred in custom work. I'd also like to reduce the size of the tips. (Eliminating some of the air-rush sound. Probably not doing it this year.

True dual has a different sound than a single. Just like the same song played in stereo or mono. It's really noticable on startup. At cruising speed, it's not bad at all. In theory, I am able to guess how good or bad a system will sound by it's design. So I knew Greddy was the system for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Phreakdout

Not bad numbers Rob. Injected brought that same dyno down to ZdayZ last year. I ran a 228 at around 4500' elevation. My CEL was on at the time and I didn't realize that it was limping my engine.

Since then, I've added the Motordyne spacer, cleaned the MAF and changed plugs. I'm running resonated TPs but no headers. If I can eek out 240 - 250 I will be happy. Throttle response is an issue as well as no WOT at all time. The tune should take care of both.

How long did it take them to do it? I need to plan a work trip around it.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Phreakdout

I worked on my "to-do" list for the Z today.

Installed the Greddy Strut Tower bar.
- I have the Motordyne intake spacer and now the bar pushes the hood up. I will try washers instead of the Motordyne spacers for the FTSTB bolts. I may be able to drop it down a little but I seriously doubt it will be enough to clear the underside of the Seibon hood.
- So if that doesn't work, I must decide between the Seibon Hood and the OE hood OR running with or without a strut tower bar.

I also installed the B&M short shifter. I thought the **** was just going to be lower than the original. Nope, the **** is in the same spot. It is the distance from the pivot point and the mount to the shift linkage.

After changing it, the OE shifter seemed like driving a UPS truck. Now I change gears with a flick of the wrist. It may be my imagination, but it also seems like there is less clunkeyness to the gear engagements. I highly recommend the short shifter.

I looked at my rear tires and as expected, the inside (due to neg camber and toe) is worn to hell. The next session, I will swap out the OE rear radius arms with the adjustable ones from Wicked Tuning, install the SPC bolts, front studs and spacers, drilled / slotted rotors & Hawk pads. That should take up a couple hours.

Funds are draining since I will write Uncle Sam a big check this year. Why don't I just send it to any big bank and mark it "Free Federal Bailout Funds" in the memo field.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
blueper4mancez

pretty good numbers there rob . my car was dyno and tuned by hal as well but it only put down 430 whp hehehe . did the car feels much smoother after the tune ? this should be a fair race with my new car just for shiggles .
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
jeff91ta

Originally Posted by h8bumps
OK, I'm double posting...

AJ, I got a surprise coming in a few days. It should be getting on a transport trailer Tuesday or Wed, and should arrive at my house later in the week!!!
This should be good... post pics when it arrives.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
toomuchskillz

I say we all get together soon for the "mod party". I don't really have any, but any excuse to get together, BS, talk cars is good by me. This whole spring cleaning "to-do" list is killing me. Just finished remodeling the bathroom and guess what, its landscaping and roof time. No love! Oh well.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll throw a 'destroy my stupid Brembos' party and let everyone take a hammer to my long, semi-expensive, quickly failing Brembo swap project..

All of my calipers leak a little at the bleeder screw (from the bleed hole). and at least one leaks from the bleeder screw thread... Not seeming an easy answer to this one.

Meanwhile.. My car is now undriveable.. At least I tried - the budget brake swap isn't working out too well.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
AznSky

Brian - thanks for the comment. The tune took about 3 hrs, but we weren't pressed for time. We chatted a bit, took a look at his own car, and I even let him have lunch lol. Yeah I was hoping for a bit more, but nothing you can do about it. I've got some pretty conservative mods still (HFC instead of TP, and 06 airbox but with OEM filter)

Billy - Thanks for the comment (you've only got an extra 200 hp on me lol), if i remember correctly, your DD is an audi of some type?

Steve - Sorry about all the issues, is there no way to rebuild the bleeder screws as well?

I still need to do my brakes (pads, rotors, fluid), was gonna ask a co-worker to help but he's been busy. we'll see if Brian is willing to lend me a hand and we can throw something together.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
thekinn

Default let me know if you see Brembo calipers for sale

Thanks Rob.. I didn't solicit help with the install because I haven't been able to block out enough time to complete it all at once.. I chipped away at it over the course of a week or so.

Keep your eyes peeled for a used Brembo set for sale. I already have the rotors, lines, pads.. so I don't want to switch to some other caliper now..
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by AznSky
I still need to do my brakes (pads, rotors, fluid), was gonna ask a co-worker to help but he's been busy.
I can help, let me know
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
I'll throw a 'destroy my stupid Brembos' party and let everyone take a hammer to my long, semi-expensive, quickly failing Brembo swap project..

All of my calipers leak a little at the bleeder screw (from the bleed hole). and at least one leaks from the bleeder screw thread... Not seeming an easy answer to this one.

Meanwhile.. My car is now undriveable.. At least I tried - the budget brake swap isn't working out too well.
Sorry to hear that Steve. So what's happening with your car? I know you mentioned about swapping your calipers last year. Is this related to this?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
blueper4mancez

steve sorry to hear about the brembo calipers are not working out for you ? what is the exact problem with them care to elaborate ? i can help you alot with brakes and suspensions related on our car , i spent at least 45 hours last year in the garage with my suspension set up . do not destroy your brembo yet man .

rob i picked up bmw 335i two weeks ago the audi is long gone .
Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
thekinn

It may be that the place that rebuilt the calipers did not use the correct sized bleeder screws. I may have also tried to use a 'rear' brembo bleeder screw in the front caliper..

So my next step is to install the two brembo bleeder screws I have in the rear - and see if the leak stops. and order the front bleeder screws from Nissan (at $56 a set!!!) and see if those work.

Problem #1 is - a little bit of brake fluid leaks from the bleeder into the cap under normal driving conditions. This is happening on all bleeders.

Problem #2 is - brake fluid is leaking from the threaded section of the screw on one of the rear calipers.

Maybe I need to add pictures? Let me know if you understand my problems..

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3