Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 12:50 PM
zlessnomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Derick but the weather and work play the Z owner for what he is worth sometimes! It also seems not everyone had the best weekend with their cars and the other things in life like crazy drives and mother nature! Next time Derick you have the hot Z and the hot seat! Decide were and when and see who shows up!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 PM
zlessnomore

Well Mike just talked to Doug at Dick Scott and the trans is gone and Nissan will be replacing!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM
JonathanAboona

me next me next me next....
I am sooooo behind on my car. cracked windshied damaged bumper nitrous still not fully functional and that dam leak I cant figure out on my driver side. Is it me or do you guys have a lot of black dust in your cockpits. Like if you rub your finger on the seat do u get a layer of black on your finger..... ???
Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
zlessnomore

No sounds like dust from your head liner maybe? Try tapping the head liner and see if it is falling from there.
I am ordering the JWT clutch and flywheel tomorrow and that is going in when they pull the trans the end of this week first of next week. Figured it would be a good time to get it all done now!!
Jon call Doug at Dcik Scott soon he is transfering to parts I think very soon! I don't know if he knows we know cause Mike told me Monday!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
mi300zx

Hello mzack. We traded emails a couple months back....I have the 84 300ZX Turbo. Guess what....it's been at Dick Scott's more this year than at home. Went in for timing belt and a couple leaks, several weeks ago, and is still there. Now they have the heads off, as Doug said....they found broken head bolts....I'm a bit suspicious but am working through it with him and Jeff. Any more events planned? hoping to one day soon here to have a drivable Z.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Maizzze

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
I'm one of the few Yellow Z's in michigan and the only one I know of that goes to redline... lol you can always bet the Yellow Z at Redline is me
I'm one of the other yellow Z's in Michigan. Not 35th, and bone stock also. I don't see a lot of Z's, period, and I haven't seen the other UY's yet.

It is a kick *** color though, don't you think Boba? Especially in bright sunlight where you can see the pearl / metallic.

p.s. I just got stomped by my co-worker's 343fwhp SRT-4, not that I didn't know I was asking for trouble. WOT 2nd gear at ~22lbs of boost and he was gone! I need FI!
Old 06-16-2005, 06:49 PM
MikeNT256

Hey guys, never have read through this thread but i'm a Detroit guy but unfortunately not a Z owner quite yet! I live in Canton, and i've seen etx quite a few times, I own a 2003 grand am gt with mods here and there.

I wanted to ask you guys a question, since you are owners here in the hellhole roads and weather of Michigan. Do you guys drive your Z's year round? And if so, how is the Z holding up with pot holes, salt and snow? I will most definitely be getting snow tires if I do end up getting a Z and am forced to drive in the winter, but how many others drive as well? Are the roads making the car rattle apart? I'm sorta stuck between either a Z or a WRX STi but I honestly can't see myself getting back into a 4 door, or a 4 cylinder for that matter. I have faith that the Z is built well but i'm almost a little skeptical that it's a car that can be driven in relaxation in Michigan. I'm pretty paranoid as you can kinda tell lol.

Also, I'm not even doubting the power capability of the car but i'm noticing some lower than expected dyno numbers from people. Is it really that hard and expensive to boost the car's HP up? (Pretty much what can you expect [price and reliability] when SC'ing or Turbo'ing the engine stock with safe levels?)

Boba i've seen your car at Redline! I've also admired up close and personal as well but I doubt you'd remember me, I don't go as religiously to Redline as most others. I drive a silver 2 door grand am gt with body kit (front lip, rear rockers and rear valance) with rims, thats all thats really visible from the outside.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 PM
BobaFettm

Originally Posted by Maizzze
It is a kick *** color though, don't you think Boba? Especially in bright sunlight where you can see the pearl / metallic.
Hella ya it is Great choice BTW! We shall have to get together and celebrate in our Yellow brotherhood lol

Originally Posted by MikeNT256
Boba i've seen your car at Redline! I've also admired up close and personal as well but I doubt you'd remember me, I don't go as religiously to Redline as most others.
Ahhh! Mike I don't remember you that I know of... not off the top of my head atleast... but I am always at redline! just got back home a couple hours ago from there and racing on Woodward! A lot of fun tonight! I'm sure ill see ya around!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 AM
mzack

Mike,

I have a SC'd Z but I do not drive it in the winter much. You can drive it but when you add extra power its a lot harder. As far as the potholes, I avoid certain roads because of the issue. I guess it all depends if you want a sedan or a sports car.

Its very easy to up the HP on this car. You can boost up to 7 or so safely but beyond that an engine build would be needed. That is exactly what ETX is doing right now. I have a Stillen SC with 5.7 boost and I am pulling about 330 or 340 to the wheels. You can get very high numbers with a Greddy TT. I know Yancy is getting 445 whp with stock internals and 6 or 7 boost. He is beating every car on the road.

You would need to spend between 6 and 8k to get these numbers but it is well worth having a car that can laugh at vettes.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Z PHAT Z

Hello MI 350Z'ers ! I'm driving down to Sterling Height Michigan to pick up my turbo kit on Tuesday. Wondering anyone wanna meet and check out some of you guys Z there .
Old 06-18-2005, 09:29 AM
etx

Sup Mike! I don't drive my Z in the winter, I picked up an 86 300zx for $200 last fall and it was a kickass winter car. I actually save money by driving a beater because I put storage insurance on the 350z and plpd on the 300zx. Salt is evil and it will never touch my cars, I don't even drive the eclipse in the winter but that's mostly because it's more of a drag car than a street car now. As far a mods, it's gonna be expensive to make power. I'v got at least $10k into the car now, and I still need to get a clutch and a decent ems. You could do the intake, plenum, exhaust etc. But that's not really gonna yelid many fl/lbs per dollar.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:33 AM
etx

Hey! I saw you last night. I had my eclipse, it's dark maroon w/ a big ol' fart cannon and a big fmic. Your car looks good man! I'll definately be bringing the 350z up to redline once I get the new motor back in it. It's gonna be another month at least. Where do you guys race on woodward? I've never been out that way. We went to telegraph, not too many people were out there because of the construction. I ran a new Roush Mustang, that was fun.

Hella ya it is Great choice BTW! We shall have to get together and celebrate in our Yellow brotherhood lol

Ahhh! Mike I don't remember you that I know of... not off the top of my head atleast... but I am always at redline! just got back home a couple hours ago from there and racing on Woodward! A lot of fun tonight! I'm sure ill see ya around!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:58 PM
MySunset350Z

salt and michigan roads tore up my front bumper. long story short, i now have a winter and a summer front bumer. soon ill have a winter and a summer hood also. that is all i can say. lol.

mike, lets work on another drag day.

jon. whats the deal with your nitrous? you have the nx kit right? im almost done putting mine back in the car. just a few more touch ups. im going to stick to a 75 shot though. the 125 shot was fun, but crazy. we should have you and jason swing by my house and work on our systems all at once. lol.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM
MikeNT256

Yeah I usually don't advertise me or my car much. Would you mind if I came and talked with ya at Redline sometime? I don't religiously go all the time.

mzack- its almost like thats the normal price range in order to add some hp these days. I could spent $4500 and get a Vortech blower for my car but only get 260hp..., atleast with the Z thats what it normally starts around right? Wouldn't that be an accurate statement? 260whp..maybe 250 to be nice about it, heck I don't know.

etx- What's up Derek! Haven't seen you in a while. Remember that one time I seen you and said "I'm gettin a Z!" Yeah, notice how that was like a year ago? Lol I just really have a hard time with seeing my car get all torn up by the elements of Michigan and I don't know how well i'm going to take seeing a Z get that damage done to it but I don't really have much choice, I could get another car but i'm getting to that point with my age where I need to start thinking about moving out and I don't have a budget for two vehicles. If thats the case, then I need to keep my car and pay it off within the next two years, but I really really want a Z lol.

mysunset- you buy the winter bumper brand new? Or how'd you go about getting it?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Jspec350z

I need to mess with the nitrous system again. I just picked up a couple of NOS cheater solenoids to replace the POS Zex system. I am giving up on the factory TPS and just going with a pedal switch and a window switch. I will wire it up one of these days. Oh and I drive my Z year round and it looks fine. Well except for the 2 inch dent my daughter put in the drivers door.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 PM
JonathanAboona

I definatley need to work on mine also !!!!!
Lets get a meet going for next week and maybe after we can work on the Z's
1)Jonathan Aboona
Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 PM
MikeNT256

Originally Posted by Jspec350z
I need to mess with the nitrous system again. I just picked up a couple of NOS cheater solenoids to replace the POS Zex system. I am giving up on the factory TPS and just going with a pedal switch and a window switch. I will wire it up one of these days. Oh and I drive my Z year round and it looks fine. Well except for the 2 inch dent my daughter put in the drivers door.

How's your average ride in winter? Do you use winter tires as well?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Jspec350z

The Z is an amazing winter car. As long as it is not over 3 or 4" of snow. It is very balanced so it is predictable in a slide. I have a set of Pirelli winterfires. I believe they are 245/50/17 all around.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 PM
MikeNT256

How much did you end up spending? I have a set of 215/60/15" Blizzak WS-50's and i'm sure those would be HORRIBLE for the Z. They worked fine for my Grand Am however.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:53 PM
zlessnomore

I still don't have my Z back from Dick Scott yet. Maybe next week and a meet sounds great, name a time a place and I 'll see if I can work around it!

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3