Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost positive you dont need to remove the caliper if your just doing a pad change on the non-brembos. Take one of the caliper bolts out, and just loosen the other one.

Rob - When is the next autocross? I have not changed my tires yet, and prolly wont till next year.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Phreakdout

^^ Thanks for the tip on the Brembos. I will study the manual before trying it. Sounds like you pull them from the top of the caliper. (Which is easier!)
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
BobaFettm

The brembos are quite easy! I remember my father and I doing it in his polebarn and didn't take much time at all... he was very jealous at how quick and easy it was
Old 08-05-2009, 04:53 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, I don't have time this week/weekend. heh.. If I had some time I'd be working on my own brakes! These guys are right.. and I am pretty sure there is a DIY posted on this site.

BTW - Rob, Deepu has brembos. I don't think you do.

Last edited by thekinn; 08-05-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
mekatoka

I decided to try Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo. I called a local dealer (OAKOS) in Sterling Heights and they have them in stock. I will be picking them today or tomorrow.
I am going to go with the same combination as Rob XP10 (FR) and XP8 (RR).
So, we are all set for Saturday morning. The sooner we start the better it is.

I have bought a low profile 2.5 tons jack and two 3 ton jack stands.
1 C-clamp, 2 pad grease packets
Let me know if I need anything else.

Brian, as you are helping us the time we start is dependent on when you can come on over to my place.
I will buy breakfast and coffee.

Rob, you are welcome to come on over and we will do the brake pads for your car too.

-- Deepu

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Datona Jess

Deepu
Find them on the internet and get next day shipping if you need them by Saturday, or 2nd Day priority
It will cost a bit more, but hey you NEED brakes man
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
thekinn

Hey Rob, So you recommended carbotech pads that you never tried out? How do you know they are any good?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Phreakdout

^^ LOL. Does anyone REALLY know?

It would take years of experience to be able to visually differentiate between one set and another. Is the best method is to run what the fastest guy runs? In the end, you still don't "know" if it's the best, you're just hoping that guy knows.

For road racing (not street), keeping the brakes and fluid cool has got to be equally as important as the pad compound. I would be looking for a brake duct kit and Motul fluid. Stainless lines are nice but I think it may be a matter of preference as to what you like for pedal feel and responsiveness.

Regarding compount: our company owns 20% of Akebono. Our warehouse in Cincinatti is the distribution point for their aftermarket. I have on my desk right now 4 different lines of brake pads. Premium, Pro-Act ultra premium, Street Performance and Euro Ultra Premium. (All different applications)

Sure, they are all asbestos free. They are all semi-metallic. You can see flecks of copper in each one. But is there really a difference between the base pad and the Street Performance? Well ... yes. But you can't tell by the eye. The difference lies in the compound of resins. Marketing data is usually useless from any brake manufacturer. Other racers will tell you what they run but even they don't know for sure what's best.

I'd say give the Carbotech pads a try. They are easy to swap out so if you have an open track day, try a few different sets till you get one that you like. Who knows, it might be new factory pads that you find to work best. You never know.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 08-05-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
Hey Rob, So you recommended carbotech pads that you never tried out? How do you know they are any good?
Haha, I got the information from Rob but didn't take the recommendation from him. Either way I would have to buy pads without knowing.

For now, I took Lee's word that they are good. I was also suggested the same combo at the track day on Tuesday.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
mekatoka

So, I picked up the following

Carbotech XP10(FR) / XP8(RR)
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
K&N Oil Filter

They also had a power bleeder, I wanted to buy but was not sure if it was the best price.

Has anyone used Power Bleeders?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
thekinn

I just know that the Carbotech pads were super-expensive when I priced some for the non-brembo brakes. I would figure they would be the that way for a certain reason...? Like, they would last twice as long, or make your car brake so well that it goes into reverse or something crazy.

Good doing your research though. I'm sure they'll work great. I just wonder where the extra $ goes.

I've used the Motul power bleeder a few times - worked great for me.

Last edited by thekinn; 08-05-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
AznSky

No Steve, I told Deepu to call Carbotech directly and speak with them. I also said that I got them based off other recommendations, but specifically did not say I recommended them

So we're doing the install at your place in Canton Sat morning? Hmmm.....I'll give you guys a call if i can make it. I'm in no hurry to replace my pads as I expect them to last me through the rest of the season. But I may just throw them in the car just in case Lemme know what time you plan on heading over Brian.

What are you gonna do about the rotor issue? Just let the pads resurface the rotors themselves?

And yeah Jon, I know Deepu has brembos. Like almost everybody else out there

Anyhow, Autocross this Sunday at Belle Isle if anybody's interested.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
worldchamp

whats up people, i just recently moved here from greensboro nc. I am a personal trainer and athlete, thats the reason for the move.. Is there any places you guys meet up around here weekly or how about car shops that do paint and body work, or mtor work such as FI and things.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by worldchamp
whats up people, i just recently moved here from greensboro nc. I am a personal trainer and athlete, thats the reason for the move.. Is there any places you guys meet up around here weekly or how about car shops that do paint and body work, or mtor work such as FI and things.
Welcome to MI
A bunch of us are planning to meet on 8/16 at OakosAutomotive. Their address can be found from their website HERE
There is also the woodward dream cruise (August 16) where you can check out alot of cars. Read up more about it online

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-06-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
worldchamp

thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. im sure i will meet up sometime soon
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
mekatoka

Default My picture from Aug 1 track day @ Waterford

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
cturnbull802

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be an awesome shot if it wasn't for all that damn tape... if its that big of an issue invest in 3m clear bra in those areas
Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
blueper4mancez

nice shot , i'm looking for a track event that's coming up at gingerman raceway does anyone knows ?
ohh here's a new picture of the car just added more rice to it lols

[IMG][/IMG]

before anyone says anything i do have 2 oilcoolers behind those cutouts .
Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by cturnbull802
would be an awesome shot if it wasn't for all that damn tape... if its that big of an issue invest in 3m clear bra in those areas
Yep, I agree. After seeing some of my photos from the past few events I feel the same. I already have 3M clear bra installed but it is a standard Xpel cut that covers up until 25% of the fenders
I might bite the bullet and get 3M installed on that whole piece on the sides for front and rears.

@blueper4mancez
That's an awesome shot !!
I am not aware of the event at Gingerman. Give us more details.

@Everyone
There is Mid-Ohio event at the end of this month. I heard it is a great track. Anyone interested to go.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Datona Jess

Welcome world champ, we will for sure meet up at some point through the summer.

Deepu the 16th IS the woodward Dream Cruise man...
Also you should get the clear bra, your going to get chips on your car even with the tape man. Its going to happen.

Billy, another oil cooler, very cool man.
Love that car as always...

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)