Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds good, I do have some toe bolt I could put in for the heck of it. That's about it though. Kep me informed on the alignment day.

I don't think I answered your question on 'How is my square setup at the track?' - To be honest I don't think I have enough experience to say that it is better or worse than a staggered setup. I think it works fine though - no complaints.

I also hope everyone makes it home safe tonight. I was almost hit in two incidents on the way home. 1 guy was all over the road on the Southfield - almost sideswiped me. The other was much more severe.. F--ker completely ran a red. Somehow, I do not know how, but I stopped in time and the f--ker passed right in front of me. Another second and my Z would have been totalled. Scared the crap out of me - I had to pull over and check because I was sure the my front bumper was scraped. Be safe!

Last edited by thekinn; 04-05-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had lot of fun today. Thanks AJ for hosting and Rob for the lunch.
I was tired even though I didn't do any work and stood my a$$ all day. I definitely want to help out the next time we have a Mod party and also hope to learn alot more.

Whoa, that sucks Steve. Glad you reached home safe.

LaterZ
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Phreakdout

Glad you're OK Steve. That is crazy scarey!

Here are some pics from the install party. Next time, I need to take some under car pics.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Phreakdout

Thank you AJ and Jess for hosting! It was great to work with everyone. I appreciate everyone's help. Even this old dog learned a new trick or two.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 04-05-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
skingy

agreed - thanks so much to AJ for hosting, and giving some very valuable help! thank you brian for taking the pics...now the g/f knows i wasn't making it up (even though the z is a bit louder...). thanks to everyone else too for helping! it was great meeting everyone, seeing so many gorgeous z's in one place, and i look forward to the next event.

side note: drove home with the top down and got her up to about 120 on 696.... she stinks more, but she's noticeably more powerful!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
BobaFettm

Ha! Thats a lot of Z's getting new goodies!! Awesome pictures and a really cool idea for a meet
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Datona Jess

Steve, glad you didn't get wacked, people had been drinking all day and it was not safe on the roads last night thats for sure.

To everyone: Your welcome, any time I love having everyone by and I love helping people with there cars. I get satisfaction when you hit the gas, hear, turn better, etc and see you smile like a kid again with a new toy..

Aweesome meeting everyone and we need to have more events soon.

Brian, great pics man!!!!
I totally forgot you took those

Scott, remember man now you need a nonrestrictive exhaust on her to really feel those TP's.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 AM
AznSky

haha that first picture is awesome! 4 Z's in one driveway!!

Thanks again to everybody who came out and especially to everybody who helped me with my car. Aj make sure to thank aaron for me for breaking that bolt. It was nice meeting everyone and hope to work on ur cars nexxt time!!

fyi now i have too much understeer and will have to stiffen up the rear sway one notch.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
04Z3E

damn i wish i knew this was going on i would of stopped by and helped and see if you'd like to help me out with my nitrous install
Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 AM
blueper4mancez

dude take your nitrous set up to a performance shop have it install and tune .
Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Datona Jess

I will pass the word on Rob,

04Z3E I can gaurantee we can install it, I am familiar with Nitrous systems.
Depending on what kit you have (Dry,wet, shot size, etc) A tune is not 100% necessary if you keep it simple.

Otherwise you will need to get it tuned once we get it in.

WE will have other partys soon, as the weather is getting better.
Though we are going to get a snowstorm tonight!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
amsyed84

Yea had a great time guys to bad my Y Pipe didn't fit. Thanks for helping me out Steve I think I'm going to order a whole new exhaust system one that's comes with everything.

AJ thanks for throwing such a bad a** mod party hope to see you guys again.

Hey Brian my tries should be here on Wednesday so i should have my wheels on i'll post pics then, but man your 20's look so clean I'm jealous LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by amsyed84
Hey Brian my tries should be here on Wednesday so i should have my wheels on i'll post pics then, but man your 20's look so clean I'm jealous LOL
No, I'll be drooling at yours! LOL

Volks > Giovannas
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
amsyed84

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
No, I'll be drooling at yours! LOL

Volks > Giovannas

Pulled the bad boys out and automatically started drooling, Hey Brian don't get your keyboard wet LOL

Sneak Peak of whats to come....

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
BobaFettm

Those are some MEAN looking Volks!! Secsi!

not a fan of lips usually... but i guess i can look past that for those rims!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Those are very nice wheels. Do you have a trusted tire installer? I wouldn't dare just take them to any old Discount Tire or Belle Tire - they don't give a crap about your wheels. Belle Tire f--ked up my Work wheels - that's how I ended up with Rotas.

I took my Rotas to Auto Europe (with an appointment) and they did a great job of installing tires..

Maybe some other people here also have recommended tire installers?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Datona Jess

I agree
Auto Europe , there a bit more expensive but they will take EXTRA good care of your wheels. There too nice to let some 9/hr guy touch them, he will NOT care about your car.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 AM
lbk16

I would also recommend MotorWerks in Commerce Township (www.motorwerksgroup.com). They service AMG and M cars and are very careful with aftermarket wheels.

Update on the install/allignment day: I spoke to the owner of MotorWerks and he was amenable to an install/allignment day. He wanted to know how many people would be interested in allignments and tire mounting/balancing before making any decisions. I also inquired as to the possibility of us using a lift or two and his wash bay. Suprisingly, he was less than enthusiastic about that. I told him that we would be willing to sign waivers, etc., and if he was concerned about shop supplies, etc., that we could probably kick in some $$$ to "rent" the shop (I used to do this all of the time when I worked on my Subie). Not sure how you guys feel about that. Of course, if a bunch of people want allignments and want tires mounted, etc., I think we could convince him to let us use the lifts/tools for free. So, long story short, who is interested in what? I will do my best to get us access to the lifts -- but I need to know who wants what done. Also, if anyone wants a MotorWerks tech to do work, we could arrange that as well. I am somewhat pissed that he was not more amenable to the whole concept of an install day, but what can I do?

Should I start a new thread?

Last edited by lbk16; 04-06-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM
skingy

hey, at least you tried. that's all you can do... it's appreciated. i'm tapped out at the moment.... my next install will be an exhaust system (maybe later this summer), and next year i'll be getting wheels. then...dropped, and an alignment. i can't swing all of that sooner, though.

so.... my car finally threw the CEL. no big deal - thanks so much brian for the non-foulers.... and dude, let me give you something for them.

AND.... spent about 3 hours yesterday washing and detailing my car. didn't pay attention to the forecast. then i woke up to this white crap all over........... UGH.

thanks again to everyone who helped - and rob, never did thank you for the 'za. you rock.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by lbk16
I would also recommend MotorWerks in Commerce Township (www.motorwerksgroup.com). They service AMG and M cars and are very careful with aftermarket wheels.

Update on the install/allignment day: I spoke to the owner of MotorWerks and he was amenable to an install/allignment day. He wanted to know how many people would be interested in allignments and tire mounting/balancing before making any decisions. I also inquired as to the possibility of us using a lift or two and his wash bay. Suprisingly, he was less than enthusiastic about that. I told him that we would be willing to sign waivers, etc., and if he was concerned about shop supplies, etc., that we could probably kick in some $$$ to "rent" the shop (I used to do this all of the time when I worked on my Subie). Not sure how you guys feel about that. Of course, if a bunch of people want allignments and want tires mounted, etc., I think we could convince him to let us use the lifts/tools for free. So, long story short, who is interested in what? I will do my best to get us access to the lifts -- but I need to know who wants what done. Also, if anyone wants a MotorWerks tech to do work, we could arrange that as well. I am somewhat pissed that he was not more amenable to the whole concept of an install day, but what can I do?

Should I start a new thread?
Honestly, most shops would not like for you to work in their garage. He's just covering his backside. He wants to generate some sales, get some exposure, etc. He has mechanics who make money doing repairs. Can't make anything if we are using their lifts and doing it ourselves. As for tools, quite often they don't belong to the shop. Instead they belong to the mechanic.

So don't get too upset. My suggestion instead ...
Arrange for a meet at his place. Installs are OK so long as the car is on the ground. (No working underneath for insurance reasons. The lot is just like being in the shop.) We can still do engine bay mods like plenum spacers or exterior mods. The rest is a chance to shine up the cars and have something of a show.

As for any heavier work, Ali was needing his headers installed. Maybe he'd want to have them do it for a discount. We can watch how the mechanic does it so we can all learn something. I'm going to need an alignment for sure and I will already have it lowered with adjustable toe and camber arms. This would be a good tech session for the mechanic to do for us.

Not sure what other services they do. If they have a dyno, maybe someone would do a dyno tune.

There's a lot of potential in this. I'd start a new thead on this after working out some of the idea with them. Keep in mind they need to get something out of the deal.
Car show & shine = People passing by may stop in to check out the rides.
Tech Session = We all learn from them and they build a relationship with the club.
Tech Session = Mechanic gets some extra work and the shop gets dedicated rack time.

Let's take baby steps with them and do things cautiously. I think after a few good events, maybe they will open up the lifts so long and he trusts us.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 04-06-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)