Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Shiawase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Waterford is PURELY walls. Understand. A mistake can mean your car. You HAVE to respect waterford... that upper hill will take even the most skilled drivers and make them backwards into the tires.

Gingerman is extra forgiving... a more flowing course. Less apex's and more speed carrying involved. Great for domestic big guys and 350z. While Waterford has one single longish straight it is a nimble course demanding the drivers full attention every second to line placement. Great for a lotus

Yah you'll learn if you want to start road coursing that you have to camp / hotel the night before...

If you feel interested in an event at all let me know... I'm registered for
3 gingerman
2 Grattan
2 Mid Ohio
2 Nelson Ledges
2 Waterford Hills
and whatever else I can find that I can trust the other drivers on the track with me at the same time... I will only track day with other respectful enthusiasts not some show boaters looking to crash into a wall.
I just got back from Nelson Ledges yesterday, and that is an amazingly fun (and freaking fast) track. Have you considered trying out Putnam Park in Indiana? It's like a step above Gingerman for technicality, but all the same forgiveness.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 AM
young Jee(Z)

BILLY: i lost your number, im ready to order my coils from intense. need you to hook it up. ASAP.

im going to take the dive and get the tanabe pro5 coils with EDFC controller.

rolling my fenders this week hopefully, gonna be lowwwwww.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 PM
BobaFettm

Hey Shiawase! I plan on making it out to Putnam this year also. Just stretching the funds out with 13 other track days this year planned!

I've read all about the 3ballsracing event on Xceedspeed. Now! DO NOT SPIN MY WORDS! I do not know them. When I go on Xceed and see a ton of Xceed guys minus the real professional racers like Matt J. etc talking about going I instantly back out. Do not take this as cocky but I don't trust my life to kids rolling around in 4k honda's. I DO trust everyone out at the Great Lakes Lotus Club events because they are older, professional, experienced drivers and no one is out there to be better than someone. They are all trying to help each other and have a great event with a ton of runs. Plus we have Lotus (The car manufacture) and Auto Europe on hand for any help we might need mechanically and driving-wise. I also trust the nohiobmwcca because they are all the same guys from the GLLC. (Most of them)

I just signed up with the TCCA because I knew Jason Kennedy from back in the day and its a very low populated event. I am leery being out on the track with people that don't know what they are doing... or people who get WAY to cocky out there.

Thats why I'm very picky with the events I sign up for! Now if anyone has some clubs they can't highly recommend to me count me in! I'd love to join up with some of you Z guys!

I NEED JUNE EVENTS!! IM VERY OPEN FOR RACING THEN!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 PM
BobaFettm

May 18: Gingerman with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
May 22-24: Mid-Ohio with BMWCCA Northern Ohio
July 9: Gingerman with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
August 4: Waterford Hills with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
Sep 11-13: Grattan with BMWCCA MotorCity
October 2-4: Grattan with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe

Here are a few off my list. I had them in a notepad so i could copy and paste ill find the rest later.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Shiawase

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
May 18: Gingerman with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
May 22-24: Mid-Ohio with BMWCCA Northern Ohio
July 9: Gingerman with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
August 4: Waterford Hills with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe
Sep 11-13: Grattan with BMWCCA MotorCity
October 2-4: Grattan with Great Lakes Lotus / Auto Europe

Here are a few off my list. I had them in a notepad so i could copy and paste ill find the rest later.
June 6, I'll be out at Putnam with 10/10ths Motorsports. They seem like a very cool group. It'd be great to have you come out!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
lbk16

Not trying to start a war or anything, but there were no $4k Hondas at Gingerman. There was one ITB prepped Integra, a new Civic SI and several S2000s, but no el-cheapo Hondas. In fact, 60% of the 3 ***** participants drive C5 and C6 vettes. I think you are reading too much into what people are saying on "xceedspeed" whatever that it is. Absolutely NO LAP TIMERS are allowed -- the 3 ***** guys make it clear that the idea is not to try and "win a race."

All I know is that I have been attending HPDEs and open track days for about 6-7 years. I have attended Porsche and BMW club days, Waterford sponsored open track days (with 120 cars and 25 plus cars on track at the same time), NASA and SCCA events and 3 ***** events and the 3 ***** events are very professional. The 3 ***** guys are not 20 somethings driving $4k hondas -- the organizers are engineers and SCCA competitors. The events are VERY SAFE and without all of the uppity crap that you get from some of the club days. Please make you own decisions, of course. If you decide to check out an event, great, I would love to see another Z or two (or five) out at an event. If you don't -- more track time for me!

BTW, I am not highly recommending anything. I was just touting the club that I personally track with. I just thought I would advertise some track time. While Auto Europe is not on hand, I would say that 60% of the participants are very mechanically inclined and work on their own cars. The head ball built his own race car. Just as an example, one of the guys grenaded his engine yesterday (he was driving a 2005 9-2X Aero, not a POS Honda). There were at least 4 guys that offered him assistance and/or to trailer him home.

Last edited by lbk16; 04-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
BobaFettm

PERFECT! Remember though I said please DO NOT spin my words. I did not know ANYTHING about 3balls racing. All I read was this.

"Xceedspeed" -> "racing" -> "3ballsracing" thus making me scared as hell!

I'll definitely look into 3ball track days from now on since I know someone that has actually attended their events.

Putnam huh?? That's a far haul! But i'll check Was hoping for some June Grattan runs or Waterfords
Old 04-26-2009, 04:09 PM
BobaFettm

and I should state that I don't have problems with a 4k honda or a 400k modded GT3. As long as the driver respects other drivers and themselves! Don't wanna come across wrong. Anyone going out to the track and driving the way a car is meant to be driven is a +1 in my book.

As long as they care about others lives and cars also.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 AM
mekatoka

I had a ton of fun yesterday at Belle Isle. I am now about 4.5-5 seconds behind the guys who were doing good numbers, the weekend before this was a 12-13 second difference. Only yesterday did I realize that I wasn't braking hard enough and not using both my hands the first weekend (4/19) I went to autocross.

I am hoping both the autocross driving sessions I am attending will help me do really good later on this year.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
lbk16

Sorry if I came across a bit strong. I definitely respect the 3balls guys. Its a good group.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
BobaFettm

Originally Posted by lbk16
Sorry if I came across a bit strong. I definitely respect the 3balls guys. Its a good group.
They just posted on Xceed about a June event at Waterford so ill be signing up due to your opinion of them! Still freaks me out with all the xceed people talking about going. At least I know they will be running beginner and not intermediate above where I'll be at. Still... I worry when I see Xceed and track day.

thanks again!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM
lbk16

You have an Elise, right? There are a couple of guys (two IIRC) that track Elises with the 3 ***** guys. Their waterford events are very professional -- more so than any of the other tracks. Everyone respects waterford. I will be at that event too -- I will have the only black Z. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 AM
BobaFettm

Exige. Yah I know the other guys that did IIRC. Didn't know they ran with the 3ballsracing guys! Thats good news then. Waterford isn't a joke for sure. But for my setup it an amazing course. My one area where I need improvement though is the top hill right hander. But I'm not trying to win no race so I just bring it down a notch on that turn and go back to my pace afterwards.

Two events ago I watched some idiot put an BMW into the wall because they thought drifting around a turn at waterford was a good idea. But that wasn't with any of the normal groups I HPDE with. Again why I worry about how goes out
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
lbk16

I completely understand. There are two yellow Elises that regularly track with 3balls. One of the guys always trailers his in a snowmobile trailer -- I always thought that was a cool setup. That one is difficult, I always screw up the turns coming down off of the hill. I spun my S2k (stayed on track, though) at that point last year. The S2k was very fast at waterford last year -- definitely a short wheelbase track. There is a guy with a supercharged M1 Miata -- he is blazingly fast there. I could keep up with him in my S2k, but I think I may have some trouble keeping up with him in the 350Z. BTW, No drifting is permitted -- accidental drifting is OK. Drifting a waterford is just plain stupid.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
AznSky

All this talk about tracks...... I need tires......and money lol
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
BobaFettm

Ralph Provitz - 2008 WHRRI SM Champion ?? That guy? I know he ran a miata for awhile. His new car is gonna be insane... they are working on it as a team. I begged for a ride in it already once they finish it

Race Lotus being built in MI

Drifting isn't allowed at ANY event I've ever been too unless its a non-intentional slide during a turn... or intentional push of the rear end out for corning purposes... This person was just an idiot.

My instructor last year during one of our GLLC events spun his Fiero on the hill and put the rear end just touching the tire wall... just slapped it nothing much. Very professional older man that has been racing for years and years... thats why I worry about that hill
Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Canton meet Sat 5/9

Bump for the Dick Scott dealership in Canton meet next weekend Sat. 5/9.

http://niodetroit.com/modules/newbb/...#forumpost2249

Rob - Can you bring my suction-gun so that I can lend it off to JonnyBoy?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
AznSky

yup! Hopefully the meet doesn't get rained out. It should be an awesome one if the weather is nice.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
blueper4mancez

is there any OTD that doesnt fall in the weekends ? just got my track wheels and tires , i wanna put them to good use .
Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by blueper4mancez
is there any OTD that doesnt fall in the weekends ? just got my track wheels and tires , i wanna put them to good use .
Billy - There is one on Memorial day. Its on a Monday at Gingerman Raceway. You might want that re-tune before you go though.

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)