Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
tenpenniesz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences as well!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Jackstand

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I think it's time I get you guys up to date so you don't think I'm always flaking out on events and such. I don't like making excuses, but there's been a lot of stuff going on lately.

Since this past Christmas, my MIL had a very mild heart attack. This lady is very close to Tara, and I have to say that she's the sweetest lady that one could have for a mother-in-law. So we spent 2 weeks down there with them and help out around the house. After we left, she had an appt and found out that 70% of her arteries into her heart were blocked. Surgery is basically the only option.

Rewind a bit to my FIL. He's been fighting cancer for years, but it's gotten progressively worse the last year or so even with chemo and pills and exercise. Sadly, the combo of pills and the severity of the tumors basically makes him useless around the house, which in turn causes more work and stress on the MIL.

So back and forth we go with what to do for the in-laws. At first, I was going to take 2 weeks off while Tara flew down to help with her mom after surgery. Then the docs down there are being wishy washy, so the other option was to come up here and stay with us for 6 weeks while the MIL recovers from heart surgery at United Hospital. My FIL can't fly, so they were going to drive 1300 miles (he can't drive). That's a long trip for healthy, young males like us so I can't imagine what it's like for them.

Today, my FIL was rushed to the hospital from being semi-unconscious and vomiting. Hours after waiting in the ER for no good reason and covered in his own vomit, they come out to tell the in-laws that the tumors are back, they've grown, and they've multiplied. Swelling in the brain has been causing him to black out, pass out, sleep more, etc. His muscles have atrophied, and he can't be left alone. The worst part, IMHO, is that they release him from the hospital and allow my stressed out MIL to take him home.

So that's that. I think he's terminal and going to die soon. I haven't committed to anything this year because I didn't know if I should go anywhere due to the health issues with the in-laws. We're the closest relatives to them, even though they have a large family around here. They always stay with us, we usually visit them at least once a year, and we help each other out when we can.

I'm not going to Zdayz or traveling too far because I want to be close to home in case the dreaded day comes. I will consider going to BIR at the last minute, and I'll always attempt to go out to the car meets or cruises. Basically, it's a day to day thing right now.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this explains my behavior when it comes to getting together or hanging out with you guys. Getting older doesn't get easier. The lesson here is to take care of that temple we call our bodies.
Wow im so sorry that you have to go through this. I went through a similar situation with my father 10 months and 6 days ago. If you or Tara need ANYTHING feel free to let me know. I am new to the club but please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, sorry to hear the bad news. Just be glad you can share the last moments with them, as my grandfather passed away quickly and I didn't even get to say goodbye or tell him I love him. That hurt me the most...

Time with your in-laws is more important, and I understand if you can't make it to any events due to that. I'd sure as hell put everything aside in the same situation.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 PM
WannabeSS

Dave, sorry i did not get your post. I was reading another page when i replied.

That is awful. I hope everything works for you. 2008 was a bad year for me. I lost 2 relatives and had 2 others that were terminal. I feel your pain, and it is not fun.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear that Dave my condolences go out to both you and Tara. Going to be a long boring ride back from Z days without ya, will have to take lots of pics. I'm even going to do a video of cruising on the dragons tail.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm not going to let it put us in a funk. We'll still enjoy all the little things in life that make us happy. Hopefully, April 25th will be a good day.

Vids of the Dragon is a must. I have tons of pics and know that others did the same.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

http://www.automotorplex.com/

Anyone going today?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
http://www.automotorplex.com/

Anyone going today?
yup im just about to leave
Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
Dave, sorry to hear the bad news. Just be glad you can share the last moments with them, as my grandfather passed away quickly and I didn't even get to say goodbye or tell him I love him. That hurt me the most...

Time with your in-laws is more important, and I understand if you can't make it to any events due to that. I'd sure as hell put everything aside in the same situation.
Ben,
Trust me, it's better if they go quick and suddenly. My mother died of cancer nearly 4 yrs ago. I wouldn't wish that type of death on anyone.

Dave,

It is hard enough with one person being sick, but two makes it expontentially harder. Stay strong!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 AM
WannabeSS

It was good to see you all there today at the Cars and Coffee. Even with my car being covered in mud from that parking lot, it was still fun lol
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by Zivman
Ben,
Trust me, it's better if they go quick and suddenly. My mother died of cancer nearly 4 yrs ago. I wouldn't wish that type of death on anyone.
You have a point. It's less pain that they have to deal with.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Jackstand

Originally Posted by Zivman
Ben,

Dave,

It is hard enough with one person being sick, but two makes it expontentially harder. Stay strong!
quoted for the truth
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Jackstand

WE are instaling LEDs and a clutch override switch today if anyone wants to come join you are more than welcome we will also be working on the club stickers
Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WannabeSS
It was good to see you all there today at the Cars and Coffee. Even with my car being covered in mud from that parking lot, it was still fun lol
See any 99-2000 skylines?/pics?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Spork

Are there even any R34's in Minnesota?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I talked to a guy who had a r32(1992) in the midway area. I thought I seen some footage from last year's event and there was 1 or 2. I could be wrong.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 04-04-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Old 04-04-2009, 02:44 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

*SPOTTED* Black 350z wide body veilside kit with wing heading south on 35w getting off onto 42 Nice lookin car i was in my truck at the time. Just got done installing F/R U-Joints in my truck yeah....... Thank god that's done, and they day before that, all new Ball joints/Idler arms/Wheel Bearings..... More fun fun fun.. The best part of today...??? i'm drinkin a Corona right now
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
WannabeSS

What Dave? No pics of the G? lol
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Spork

Thanks for the pics Dave!

Who was in the blue Z?

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread