Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

i just hope that they will claim it as being totaled and save you all the trouble
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
well the Z is still at the body shop getting an estimate(been there since Monday). The guy is having a hard time finding parts I guess.

My question is, can I request or demand that they only use new factory parts and not used parts off of other salvaged Z's? or do I even have any say in the matter?
You can do/demand anything you want. But here's the deal, you need to express your concerns and wants to your body shop. They are the ones that need to be working with the insurance company. Someone that works on crashed cars is going to be more credible and will have more 'influence' on an adjuster than you most likely will.

Another thing to consider... if the car is not totaled, and you have interior pieces that may be slightly damaged. You could take appearance allowances on those items. So say your seat has a scuff mark on the bottom side where you really can't see it. Insurance has determined it is to be replaced. You could potentially get 2/3 the amount of the seat as an appearance allowance. Again, things you need to talk about with your bodyshop.

maybe I am beating a dead horse, but the car should have gone to raymonds. They will advise you on anything and everything you need to know your situation.. and help you know what your real options are.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Yard work today. Gotta prep the house for Conall's bday party tomorrow.

I bought an oil test kit for the Z. Going to send in a sample, just because I'm curious.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WannabeSS
My mom works for Allstate, and she says used parts are the way to go. Because when you get a used part, its coated in something from the factory, to protect it against snow etc.

When you buy a new part, its not coated in that, its just a door. Then they paint it and vuala, no more protection.
I have Allstate actually

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
just hope that they will claim it as being totaled and save you all the trouble
they're not going to. My z is worth $29K, and in order for them to total it, it needs $20K worth of damage.

Last edited by NISMO_558; 06-13-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

damn that sux, but anyways its a very nice day today!! I'm cleanin the Z hardcore right now, takin the wheels off right now and cleanin the inner part of the wheel along with the sidewalls
Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Zivman

they're not going to. .
If I were a d!ck, I would say I told you so, but I'm not a d!ck.....

In all seriousness, good luck with the repair. I good shop will have no issue putting the car back to a better than new condition. The kicker being that nissan paint is so sh!tty, a good body shop will do a better job painting the car than the factory did...... so now, you could potentially have better paint on the pass side of the car and will want a full respray to cover up the factory hack job
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 AM
ObiRedKenobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to start my own thread but since I stumbled accross this I recon there is no need to start a new thread.

My company wants to transfer me from Boston to the twin cities. I've looked up some cost of living calculators that were all over the board, I looked for events and things to do but I want to hear it from you guys that actually live out there.

What do you think? Great place to live? Anywhere I should stay away from? The cost of living can't be worse than where I'm at now.

Eventually I'm wanting to get back south to what I call home so I'm not looking for a lifetime commitment here but I might as well move around and see the country while I'm still young.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 AM
tenpenniesz

Hey guys, just got back from BIR yesterday. It was fun as hell. Dave you totally missed out. The poor Z has never been driven like that. Good times none the less.

With that said I woke this morning and my brake, VSP, and slip indicator lights are all on and won't turn off. Any thoughts? Aaron?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenpenniesz
Hey guys, just got back from BIR yesterday. It was fun as hell. Dave you totally missed out. The poor Z has never been driven like that. Good times none the less.

With that said I woke this morning and my brake, VSP, and slip indicator lights are all on and won't turn off. Any thoughts? Aaron?
you suck how many people were actually there?

try doing a soft ECU reset for your indicator lights.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Zivman

I don't have VDC on my car, so I have limited knowledge of the system....

That said, I have heard of people having similar issue. If you ran your car hard, the VDC can have issue due to things like continual drifting or sliding the rear end around. Do you have an engine lights? I don't know if disconnecting the battery will fix the issue... you may need to have the system reset via consult, but definitely try disconnecting the battery first.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by ObiRedKenobi
I was going to start my own thread but since I stumbled accross this I recon there is no need to start a new thread.

My company wants to transfer me from Boston to the twin cities. I've looked up some cost of living calculators that were all over the board, I looked for events and things to do but I want to hear it from you guys that actually live out there.

What do you think? Great place to live? Anywhere I should stay away from? The cost of living can't be worse than where I'm at now.

Eventually I'm wanting to get back south to what I call home so I'm not looking for a lifetime commitment here but I might as well move around and see the country while I'm still young.
I prefer the south and eastern suburbs... some prefer the northern/western suburbs.

do you know where your work will be specifically? I would find out where the business will be located and start looking based on that location. If you are working from home, you have a lot of options based on your personal preferences. You like city living? Country? suburbs?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM
ZoftheNorth

Originally Posted by Zivman
I prefer the south and eastern suburbs... some prefer the northern/western suburbs.

do you know where your work will be specifically? I would find out where the business will be located and start looking based on that location. If you are working from home, you have a lot of options based on your personal preferences. You like city living? Country? suburbs?
for the NW burbs. Z and G meets held monthly!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
ObiRedKenobi

Originally Posted by Zivman

The office is in Eden Prairie. One of the other guy's I work with in my company lives down town Minneapolis but I'm partial to the burbs.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by ObiRedKenobi
The office is in Eden Prairie. One of the other guy's I work with in my company lives down town Minneapolis but I'm partial to the burbs.
eden prairie is nice... start there. few cake eaters, but decent place.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
ObiRedKenobi

Well I'm from GA living in MA there are a few cake eaters anywhere you go but thats life it doesn't have to ruin the experience
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a CEL light? Get that read if it stays on.

The VDC system is easily upset by rough, bumpy roads, hard driving, and vast differences of wheel speeds between the front and rear wheels.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Sup Guise...
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
tenpenniesz

Thanks guys. Disconnected the battery but they still came back. I might have to see if I can get a reading. Strange, I would have thought that they would have popped after actually driving the car not have it sat overnight.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
tenpenniesz

you suck how many people were actually there?

try doing a soft ECU reset for your indicator lights.

Yeah sorry you couldn't make it. It was a really a good time. There were some 30 people in the class. As far as cars there were a few corvettes, M3's, a Volvo S60R, a RX7, a RSX a few BMW 7 series sedans and then a few other cars as well. It was probably one of best times I have had in my car by far. In the first straight way I would hit 115 mph and then sweep into first turn. If you have not been to BIR before it definitely a must if you have a Z or a G. NISMO_558 you would have had some serious fun. Best part of the day was meeting a guy named John would had is Stillen Tuned GTR runing laps at the track. He was there with a few other club racers. That car was nothing short of absolutely amazing.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Sup Guise...
Whatchu doin in herr?

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread