Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
WannabeSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today i dismounted my winter tires and put my 18s back on.... now watch, its gonna snow 10 feet.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WannabeSS
Today i dismounted my winter tires and put my 18s back on.... now watch, its gonna snow 10 feet.
because the second week in Feb sounded like the perfect time to ditch the winter tires??? wtf
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
because the second week in Feb sounded like the perfect time to ditch the winter tires??? wtf

No matter how warm it gets in what is still called winter the Z still does not come out till mid April
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
| 1cleanZ |

nah, he has to take it in steps...winter wheels...stock oem wheels...and then his new rennen's when they come in about a month
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
WannabeSS

Its been nearing 40s here and has no plan of dropping anytime soon according to the meteorologist. It is dry here with nothing on the ground and I don't want to burn up my $600 winter tires. Car has brand new all seasons on the 18s so if it does snow, i'll just take it easy, but Im really not that concerned. I drove around last winter in an inch and a half and had no problems on these tires. Anymore than that and ill just stay in.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg when can I pick up that diff?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im w the z's here...no salt/sand/snow...then the car co es out...saw a Maserati today and was just disappoint.....Ill stilll rock the sxt neon with the blizzaks.....my Z didnt seem to even like the cold weather in our extended season this year in Nov.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by WannabeSS
Its been nearing 40s here and has no plan of dropping anytime soon according to the meteorologist. It is dry here with nothing on the ground and I don't want to burn up my $600 winter tires. Car has brand new all seasons on the 18s so if it does snow, i'll just take it easy, but Im really not that concerned. I drove around last winter in an inch and a half and had no problems on these tires. Anymore than that and ill just stay in.
so why make a point to put up a post about swapping out your winter tires in the middle of winter?

winter tires are about more than snow. They are about temps <50 degrees. Also, highs maybe "nearing 40's" but I doubt you only drive your car when the temps are at the high for the day.

edit:
and 600 bucks for tires sound cheap. I definitely don't buy high end and any tires I bought for my Z were at least 900+install. Heck, I bought cheap'er continentals for my evo and they were still 800 bucks.

Last edited by Zivman; 02-15-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM
ezpotato

jesus. how can you guys justify having a car you dont drive 4-5 months out of the year?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM
ezpotato

Originally Posted by | 1cleanG |
15 lbs PER WHEEL? Holy Sh8t!!!
function > form

(well in some cases)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by ezpotato
jesus. how can you guys justify having a car you dont drive 4-5 months out of the year?
1. It keeps the miles down on the car
2. You don't have to pay for a full year worth of full insurance coverage
3. This is still MN, not this year tho, feels more like Missouri

EZ this is NOT MN winter... This is by far record year for warmth and literally no snowfall. Real MN winters would put a toll on your car with the salt being on the road and the sand. PLUS the Z's end likes to get loose real easily. But my Z isn't my main mode of transportation. It's my hobby. Taking it out to track days modding it group get togethers, it's all for just fun. Having your DD vehicle that you have all modded up isn't the greatest in get around everywhere, ride quality sucks and so do door dings.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
ezpotato

the g isnt my daily either, i have a 3.5 altima for that, which gets the job done, but i hate fwd. haha! i just cant imagine not driving my g for that long... ugh. if it was paid off, i could see that, but dang i may just wanna sell it after next winter (assuming we have a real winter here, which i have yet to experience)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
bonarsauce

I hear you on that. I bought a fwd car for this winter and for the little bit of snow we did have I absolutely hate it.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by ezpotato
the g isnt my daily either, i have a 3.5 altima for that, which gets the job done, but i hate fwd. haha! i just cant imagine not driving my g for that long... ugh. if it was paid off, i could see that, but dang i may just wanna sell it after next winter (assuming we have a real winter here, which i have yet to experience)

I don't drive much the way it is. I have had years I put about 1000 miles on my Z... heck, my daily driver has only racked up a little over 7k miles over the last 16 months. So storing the car over winter isn't a big deal. it isn't even fun to drive when the temps drop, let alone in the snow... just part of living where we live.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
WannabeSS

so why make a point to put up a post about swapping out your winter tires in the middle of winter?

winter tires are about more than snow. They are about temps <50 degrees. Also, highs maybe "nearing 40's" but I doubt you only drive your car when the temps are at the high for the day.

edit:
and 600 bucks for tires sound cheap. I definitely don't buy high end and any tires I bought for my Z were at least 900+install. Heck, I bought cheap'er continentals for my evo and they were still 800 bucks.
I dont know... just made an update. And I know that snow tires are more than for just snow, but im not on summer tires. Im on all seasons and they work fine in sub 50 degree weather. 90% of the people on the road run all seasons all year, whats your point? haha.
Originally Posted by bonarsauce
I hear you on that. I bought a fwd car for this winter and for the little bit of snow we did have I absolutely hate it.
FWD blows sack in the snow. id much rather have RWD.
I don't drive much the way it is. I have had years I put about 1000 miles on my Z... heck, my daily driver has only racked up a little over 7k miles over the last 16 months. So storing the car over winter isn't a big deal. it isn't even fun to drive when the temps drop, let alone in the snow... just part of living where we live.
Jesus. I have done 15.5k in 11 months haha
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I'm pretty set on buying an Optima battery for the Z. Anyone have good connections for a decent deal or know where I can find a good deal? I heard Sam's Club is a good source.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ezpot, its easy to realize...its cold as *****, snow is generally 12' not 1" and sports cars are not meant for MN winters. Ive had my z for over 4 years, paid off from day 1, but I REFUSE to be the ******* in the ditch with the sports car...many do drive theirs year round...however, most of us have additional investments in 1 or in some case 3 other vehicles.
You will become a collector of sorts...lol, I trun and burn cheap winter beaters, fix em up, make some $ and sell em off for the next years ventures! A dealer's permit is ideal
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM
| 1cleanZ |

How many of you all are planning ahead for Powercruise? I just recently heard that NICOFEST will take part in it, which should turn out to be a pretty huge event for our platforms.

For those of you that are going, its $60- by Feb 29th, $90 by July 2nd, and $130 after that. (enters you in ALL the events)

For those who went last year, where did you sleep?? I'd like to get an idea of who's planning on going so we can possibly chip in together for a place to stay, or if you guys rock the tents I'm game for just getting a camping ground area.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM
silverbullet_Z

How many of you all are planning ahead for Powercruise? I just recently heard that NICOFEST will take part in it, which should turn out to be a pretty huge event for our platforms.

For those of you that are going, its $60- by Feb 29th, $90 by July 2nd, and $130 after that. (enters you in ALL the events)

For those who went last year, where did you sleep?? I'd like to get an idea of who's planning on going so we can possibly chip in together for a place to stay, or if you guys rock the tents I'm game for just getting a camping ground area.
I was down until I saw this... LAME.... Powercruise: This event happens multiple times throughout the weekend and is what this thing is known for. This is a relaxed cruise around BIR's 3.1 mile roadcourse. Drive absolutely any vehicle you want and take passengers. No helmet required. Speed limited to approximately 80 mph.

I'll just go to proving grounds
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be there again, I stayed in a condo last year.

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
I was down until I saw this... LAME.... Powercruise: This event happens multiple times throughout the weekend and is what this thing is known for. This is a relaxed cruise around BIR's 3.1 mile roadcourse. Drive absolutely any vehicle you want and take passengers. No helmet required. Speed limited to approximately 80 mph.

I'll just go to proving grounds
That is more of a guide line, you can drive at your own pace. I was going all out last year, turn 1 at 125+ was fun.

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread