Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa
View Poll Results: Caravan to ZdayZ: When do you want to leave? Depart from gas station @ Ecorse & I-275
Leave Wed (8am): Drive straight. Arrive in TN Wed Evening
0%
Leave Wed (6pm): Stop in KY. Arrive by at Air Strip by noon Thursday
40.00%
Leave Thursday (4am): Drive to Air Strip arriving by 2pm - ZdayZ by Evening
40.00%
Leave Thursday (6am): Drive to ZdayZ: Arrive at 4pm
80.00%
Leave Thursday (8am): Drive to ZdayZ: Arrive at 6pm
60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Michigan Z Owners: Need volunteers for ZdayZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile North Central Z Owners: ZdayZ Thread

www.zdayz.com

If you all haven't checked out the events thread on ZdayZ, please do so. Hands down, ZdayZ is the most increadible Z event of the year. Each year, it gets bigger and better. The ZdayZ organizers made sure that there is something for everyone and that no one is bored. This last year, they had two events going on at all times. This means if you didn't want to attend the car show, then you could attend the Time, Speed, Distance rally. Or if you didn't want to attend the tech sessions, you could do the poker run. If you just wanted to sleep in and hit the Dragon that is close by, by all means do so. There would be plenty others there too.

In addition, the Fontana Resort was beautiful. Up in the Smoky Mountains, you honestly could attend with the wife, Girlfriend and kidz if you have met them. There are swimming pools, a bar, restaurants, a general store, a lazy river and various things to entertain. (And this is what is on property.) Surrounding this area is Robbinsville, NC; Gatlinburg, TN, Asheville, NC is not too far away if you wanted to make a day trip to see the Biltmore Estate. (This largest single family residence built by the Rockafellers and is now open for tours.)

Back to the point of this post ...

In order to make this work, the ZdayZ staff needed help! It takes a lot of people to do a poker run or a rally. Rather than burdening a couple dozen people for the entire event, ZdayZ is looking for Z-Clubs to sponsor a certain event. ZROC of Ohio had the largest turnout and they did the most volunteering. ZClub of Florida also had a huge group.

Right now, I will work on getting a formal Michigan Z Club put together. This typically takes a lot of personal time and some out of pocket expense. (I will cover this.)

I would like to know how many Michigan (or surrounding area) Z members are thinking about attending. Even more so, how many would like to help volunteer to take care of an event. I need to send word to the ZdayZ staff if Michigan will be representing.

Just to get you in the mood, here are some photos from last year's event:

The Free Dyno Pulls Sponsored by Injected Performance:

The Drop Top Cruise sponsored by Black Dragon Auto and the Triangle Z Club:

The Exhaust Competition sponsored by Forged Performance and the Middle Tennessee Z Club

Action Photos take on the Dragon by Killboy.com

Drive-In Movies sponsored by Z1 Motorsports:

Poker Run sponsored by Momentum Performance and the South Carolina Z Club

Time, Speed, Distance Rally sponsored by Momentum Performance and the Bama G/Z Club

Car Show sponsored by Momentum Performance and the Upstate Z Club (Not sure who arranged the girls from the "Pinks" TV show. (On Speed Channel)

There are many other events I haven't covered. Bring a camera as this area is full of awesome places for great car photos.

The drive is not bad at all! You just head straight south down I-75 to Knoxville. (It takes me about 3.5 hours to hit Florence, KY - just on the Kentucky side of Cincinnati.) Take a Bio and fuel break. Then another 3.5 to 4 hours to Knoxville. That stretch is nice as you get into the hills if South KY and North TN. Take another Bio / Fuel Break in Knoxville and then take either way into the mountains. (East side through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Lots of tourist crowds and people cruising the strip. Then fun roads to Fontana)

Plan is as follows:
Depart the gas station on Ecorse & Haggerty at I-275. (Date and time TBD pending poll results) When we hit Knoxville, we pit stop and pick up some supplies. (Food, booze and other necessary items.) Arrive at the resort, check in, complete registration in the main hall, grab dinner in the restaurant or bar and attend the open cooler bonfire concert.

The Return Trip is to leave Sunday, May 23rd around 8 or so. (Have breakfast in the restaurant.)Since the Dragon is closed, we will make a back roads run towards I-40 ot straight up through the Smokies and up to Knoxville at I-75. We should be back home before dark.

Cost: Registration was like $60 per person but that included Friday and Saturday dinner as well as the event costs. (Not bad at all) If you were bringing someone like a GF or wife (secondary person), they were $45.

I have a two bed room villa reserved. I believe Deepu, Rob, Lee and I have this one occupied. For others, you might be able to set up a tent out back and make use of the kitchen and bathrooms.

The Parties are at the cabins. Last year, Beer Pong and kegs were sponsored by Injected or Z1. (Can't remember, drank too much.) I know there were a couple other cabins with open parties. Or you can retreat to yours for the night.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 04-07-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
sig11

I think it would be a ton of fun but I have a bit of a hard time committing.. I have about 3500mi worth of road trips planned already.

If it's half as much fun as the Jawbreaker was I should just suck it up and go. Do you have any idea how soon a decision would have to be made to get a place to sleep?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
AznSky

Honestly I plan on going if you're going Brian. The ONLY thing that would hold me back is school.

So as of right now put me down for attending and helping out wherever I can. At the same time, I won't know my summer class schedule until the beginning of May. But I'll put the $$ down for cabins and such and if I can't go, somebody from MI can take my place for free

PS ~ Can we help with the wet t-shirt competition? I wanna be the guy with the hose BOOBIES!!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by sig11
I think it would be a ton of fun but I have a bit of a hard time committing.. I have about 3500mi worth of road trips planned already.

If it's half as much fun as the Jawbreaker was I should just suck it up and go. Do you have any idea how soon a decision would have to be made to get a place to sleep?
If I had to choose between the Jawbreaker and ZdayZ, I'm afraid ZdayZ wins by a long shot. The last year was my first time attending ZdayZ and I made a lot of friends. Everyone was soooo cool and welcoming. I expect going back every year will be like attending another school reunion.

The area around Fontana is absolutely magical. Tennessee doesn't get harsh winters so even the back roads are smooth as glass. If you had a good time with the roads at the Jawbreaker, you will love this. Something happens to you when you first drive the mountain roads down there. Call me hippy-like but you start "feeling" the road instead of fighting it with a machine. Your vision starts moving up the road looking through the bend and not watching 10' in front of your bumper. Shifting becomes an artform as you stop watching the tach and start listening to the sweet sound of the exhaust echoing through the canyons. In short, driving down there (away from the Dragon) feels like complete freedom.

The first time I visited Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains was for the 1992 National Z Car convention. I immediately fell in love with the mountains down there. By the next February, I took a job transfer within the company and I was living there. Best move I ever made.

Originally Posted by AznSky
Honestly I plan on going if you're going Brian. The ONLY thing that would hold me back is school.

So as of right now put me down for attending and helping out wherever I can. At the same time, I won't know my summer class schedule until the beginning of May. But I'll put the $$ down for cabins and such and if I can't go, somebody from MI can take my place for free

PS ~ Can we help with the wet t-shirt competition? I wanna be the guy with the hose BOOBIES!!
Rob, without a doubt, nothing is holding me back, I am going. I have already submitted for the time off. The wife already knows I am going. (Yes, I am going without the family.)

I just sent an email requesting a Willows Cabin. I asked for unit 921. Same as what I had last year. It was central to the other cabins so I could easily stagger back if needed. LOL.

Wet t-shirt contest? I don't think anyone wants to see me in a wet t-shirt! LMAO! With the amount of kegs flowing at the cabin parties, I'm sure there are a few unofficial competitions going on.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 AM
AznSky

Brian so would you want to split the cabin you have? (I don't mind sleeping on the floor lol) Or do I need to book my own?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Datona Jess

What is the Date of Zday Z...

I have been wanting to go for sometime now...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Phreakdout

Brian so would you want to split the cabin you have? (I don't mind sleeping on the floor lol) Or do I need to book my own?
Sounds great. I can keep the one bed room and you can take the couch or we can look into larger cabins and the per person cost goes down as we fill the bedrooms. (I can see it being one hellova party)

Magnolia 3 BR Cabin: http://www.fontanavillage.com/rooms/magnolia/

Azalia 3 BR House:
http://www.fontanavillage.com/rooms/azalea3/

Two Bedroom Cabin:
http://www.fontanavillage.com/rooms/log/

Willows 1 BR (What I stayed in last year)

http://www.fontanavillage.com/rooms/willow/
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
What is the Date of Zday Z...

I have been wanting to go for sometime now...
Here is the plan I posted. Leave am of Thursday, May 20 and return Sunday, May 23rd.

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Plan is as follows:
Depart Ann Arbor area on Thursday, May 20th at 8am. Stop for lunch in Florence, Kentucky around noon. Arrive in Knoxville by 4:30. Pit Stop and pick up some supplies. (Food, booze and other necessary items.) Arrive at the resort by 6, check in, complete registration in the main hall, grab dinner in the restaurant or bar and attend the open cooler bonfire concert.

The Return Trip is to leave Sunday, May 23rd around 8 or so. (Have breakfast in the restaurant.) Take one final run down the Dragon and cut up to I-75 through Lenoir City. We should be back home before dark.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
AznSky

Hey brian can you find out how much a 2 bedroom would be? Just curious. But a pull-out couch is no problem for me.

Man looking at the pictures on the zdayz website, I feel like I need to get a bodykit and wheels or something cuz my car is gonna look so boring....
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Phreakdout

Hey brian can you find out how much a 2 bedroom would be? Just curious. But a pull-out couch is no problem for me.

Man looking at the pictures on the zdayz website, I feel like I need to get a bodykit and wheels or something cuz my car is gonna look so boring....
Here are the prices for each option. You can go super cheap by staying in the campground or go for a nice 3 br cabin. The price difference between 1 and 2 bed room depends on which unit style you get. The cheaper ones go fast.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/accomm...mmodations.htm

I found that I spent very little time in the cabin. So it's a good opportunity for anyone who want to bunk in with us.

As for needing a body kit, not at all!!! There were a LOT of stock Z's. Yours is far from stock. Even if it was all stock, the fact that you're there is instant acceptance into an unspoken brotherhood at this event. I'm an not the most outgoing person but I found it super easy to make new friends there. It would be Phreakin awesome to have our wild and crazy Michigan group do this together. It certainly would make the drive down and back a lot of fun.

I don't have any mods planned for ZdayZ except the Osiris tune and camera mounts. I might consider the GoPro cam system.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 01-08-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 AM
AznSky

Hey I plan to do Osiris too! Are you just gonna do etunes through uprev? I'm hoping to get mine done before zdayz as well but I heard uprev takes a while.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 AM
sig11

Alright... Tentatively count me in. :P Splitting a cabin would be pretty cool....
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
skingy

man, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go - i'm positive it would be an absolute blast!

unfortunately, i'm afraid i have 2 too many big house projects that need some serious finances. $2k for a fence around my yard, and probably another $2k to put a new roof on the house and garage. the good news is that once those are done (knock on wood), there won't be any big projects anytime soon (until i decide to put a new kitchen and bathroom in, that is)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by skingy
man, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go - i'm positive it would be an absolute blast!

unfortunately, i'm afraid i have 2 too many big house projects that need some serious finances. $2k for a fence around my yard, and probably another $2k to put a new roof on the house and garage. the good news is that once those are done (knock on wood), there won't be any big projects anytime soon (until i decide to put a new kitchen and bathroom in, that is)
Hey, I did my fence. (6' cedar shadow box) I've fairly certain it did not cost me anywhere near $2K. It's really easy. If you decide to do it yourself, let me know. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

... Then you can go to ZdayZ!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM
AznSky

Yeah I don't think Zdayz will be a huge cost. Maybe around $400 for four days including gas?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Phreakdout

Yeah I don't think Zdayz will be a huge cost. Maybe around $400 for four days including gas?
I'm sure you can do it on $400 and have a fantastic time!

Here's a tease video. It was taken on the drop top cruise by Todd Bernhard in his Z31 convertible behind me. His conversation with his wife kills me. Hellova nice guy! I owe him a few beers for sending me the video.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eiC6nvnIB0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eiC6nvnIB0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
mekatoka

Sorry, I haven't logged on here for some time now.

I am definitely going to attend the ZDayZ this year. I am not sure if I will be able to volunteer to arrange some event on behalf of our group. What are you planning?

I will PM you regarding the lodging details.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
AznSky

Just saw that registration is up today. We should all set a date for ppl to "confirm" or not for lodging, that way we can all get a good place.

Brian what say you?

edit: Also what do you think about leaving wed night and stopping halfway for the night at some cheap motel. That way we can get there thurs around noon and watch the top dawg airstrip event

Last edited by AznSky; 01-11-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well you know my *** will be there.. need any help with anything let me know..

And for sure between jawbreaker and Zdays, Zdays wins every time...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Sorry, I haven't logged on here for some time now.

I am definitely going to attend the ZDayZ this year. I am not sure if I will be able to volunteer to arrange some event on behalf of our group. What are you planning?

I will PM you regarding the lodging details.
Volunteering says that our group will help run one single event. It could be helping with registration, car show parking, the poker run, etc... We won't arrange anything. Just man power. Considering how small of a group, we'd have to join up with another group to be effective. (Not manditory)

Just saw that registration is up today. We should all set a date for ppl to "confirm" or not for lodging, that way we can all get a good place.

Brian what say you?

edit: Also what do you think about leaving wed night and stopping halfway for the night at some cheap motel. That way we can get there thurs around noon and watch the top dawg airstrip event
Lodging: It has to be done VERY soon. There are at least 3 of us going. Any more just helps drive the cost down. I say we go for the 3 bed room and split it up later. (We'll make it fair so those who bunk in the living room take only a small share of the cost or provide beer. LOL )

EDIT: Regarding leaving on Wednesday night, that is a possibility. I am open to the idea if the group wants to do this. The caravan down is part of the fun and encourages more people to attend. I would like to avoid splitting up the group if possible.

I think the airstrip drag would be fun. Personally, I'd just watch and film it.

The 3 bed room disappear FAST! So I will probably call tomorrow. Can I count on you, Lee and Deepu to be there?

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFast3r
well you know my *** will be there.. need any help with anything let me know..

And for sure between jawbreaker and Zdays, Zdays wins every time...
Clay! How the hell have you been?? It would be awesome to run with you again. Next time I'll follow you so I don't hold you up! Agreed, ZdayZ trumps all.

I'm still planning to do all three: ZdayZ, Jawbreaker Road Rally and ZCON2010 in Nashville. This year, I'm definately pulling together a trip to Cedar Point so hope you can join.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 01-12-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Michigan Z Owners: Need volunteers for ZdayZ