Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

The Z Is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006 | 11:31 AM
dragon11689

Hey Jorge. I think what he meant to say is that the car should really be built up around the engine and then the engine itself before doing f/i. I dont think he meant to shove in your face that bmw is better than nissan. Although if you pull this rebuild off, I dont think anyone would be able to talk any smack about Nissan. Believe that.
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:28 PM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by JORGEOLIVEIRA
IF YOU ACTUALY THINK THIS WAY...WHY IN THE HECK YOU DRIVE A NISSAN
Why does the fact that I drive a Nissan have anything to do with BMW's philosophy? It is a philosophy that any car maker should think about when designing a sports car for the street. My previous car was a '00 Audi S4. Great engine, but it completely overpowered the suspension which was far too soft to properly control the power from the motor. Look at the Honda S2000. Great motor, but the chassis is well beyond the capacity of the engine. The Z, in NA form, or in moderate FI form is also a well balanced car, but add too much and the weight distribution gets distorted, traction goes out the window, and other components get too stressed. To do FI properly on this car, you really need to build almost a whole new car. That's fine, but accept that that's what you need to do, and you will still never have the traction to handle 500+ hp, no matter what you do. I still contend that for a great handling street vehicle, 400 crank hp is the useable limit without all-wheel drive. If all you are only concerned about is straight line performance, that is a different story.
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:38 PM
CG 350Z

Hmmm I can understand what your trying to say, but I don't know if that's entirely true. What i'm trying to say is, that I know there are SO many people on this board that have Z's with over 400 hp (For example: Sharif's Z, Performance Motorsports Z, MRC's Z, New Mothers Z, and even personal owners Z's) and i'm sure theirs is able to hold down the traction of 400+ hp. What I am getting from your post is that like once you get 400 HP or over once you step on gas loss of traction will always occur. But I think the car will be able to handle it's own, after a engine build up of course.

TSZ33
Chris
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:30 PM
JORGEOLIVEIRA
Builder/Framer
Premier Member

Hey guys dont get me wrong but , right now i do not have the time nor pacience to talk about car performance nor if nissan is better than bmw ... and (dont take it personal ) ill try to get as much power out of my engine as possible ... i just paid over $ 6K (motor and other parts) in the last 1/2 hour sooo IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER RIGHT NOW.. and Thanks for the coments.

Last edited by JORGEOLIVEIRA; 03-22-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:34 PM
Speedracer

Hmmm I can understand what your trying to say, but I don't know if that's entirely true. What i'm trying to say is, that I know there are SO many people on this board that have Z's with over 400 hp (For example: Sharif's Z, Performance Motorsports Z, MRC's Z, New Mothers Z, and even personal owners Z's) and i'm sure theirs is able to hold down the traction of 400+ hp. What I am getting from your post is that like once you get 400 HP or over once you step on gas loss of traction will always occur. But I think the car will be able to handle it's own, after a engine build up of course.

There are also stock vehicles with this kind of power and rear wheel drive....Z06 Vette, Viper. I've driven both. They are on the absolute limit of controlability in lower gears and that's with rubber that can't be fit onto a Z without extensive body work. I also had my Audi S4 tuned to over 440hp and 515 lb-ft of torque. It was the all wheel drive that made so much power easy to handle. You could mash the throttle and go. Even in the rain. With so much power in a purely RWD car, you have to drive so delicately so much of the time that part of the fun is gone, at least for me. I love blasting down some of the nice backcountry roads where I live. Honestly my NA Z is perfect for this. Part of the fun of driving is not just what the car is capable of, it's what you as the driver get to do in he car. That's why I would always choose a manual transmission over an automatic or synchonized manual, even if the latter was faster. I'm not saying all that power isn't fun. It is. That kind of acceleration is a killer rush, but there is a downside, and you should just be aware of this. I used to have an FI system on my Z, and I removed it. I was very disappointed in the level of control compared to what I had in my Audi S4. I also have a friend who has a Porsche 911 turbo tuned to 700hp. Again, all wheel drive is the way to go with high power. Once you've driven an AWD high power car, then you will see how much less enjoyable a car with only RWD and high power is. Of course, this is just me, and I know many are going to be of a different opinion.

Last edited by Speedracer; 03-22-2006 at 01:39 PM.