Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Tragedy in CT....let's drive smart!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:59 AM
zpeed350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragedy in CT....let's drive smart!!

Yet another reminder to be careful. Poor kids, my heart goes out to their families. What really hits home is that I live maybe 5-10 miles from where this happened, drive that highway everyday, and I drive a redline 350z.....

The link didn't work, so heres the aritcle.....

Cousins Close In Life, Death
May 22, 2003
By ROSELYN TANTRAPHOL, Courant Staff Writer

WINDSOR LOCKS -- Joshua K. Zononi and his cousin, Justin Blow, were born the same year, just six months apart, and grew up together.

"They went to school together, they graduated together," said Pat Ruggiero, the teens' grandfather. "They planned their vacations together. They were going to go to Las Vegas, drive out there."

"They did everything together," Ruggiero said, adding quietly, "including dying I guess."

The two recent high school graduates from Windsor Locks, riding in the same car Tuesday evening, died in a fiery one-car crash on I-91. State police said that Zononi's two-door 2003 Nissan 350Z was southbound on the highway in Enfield when, according to witnesses, it began racing with two cars believed to be BMWs.

Around 8:30 p.m., near Exit 45 in East Windsor, the driver of the Nissan lost control, and the car went through the guardrail, rolling several times. Both teens were thrown from the car, which became engulfed in flames, according to police.

Zononi, 18, died at the scene, police said. Blow, 19, was taken by ambulance to Hartford Hospital, where he later died, according to the hospital and family members.

Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman, said that police are not making assumptions about who was driving the car.

Witnesses were unable to provide any information about the registration plates of the other two cars, and state police are asking anyone who saw the red Nissan, or what could have been the other two vehicles, to call Troop H at 860-534-1000.

"They could provide us with valuable information in this investigation," Vance said.

Wednesday, family and friends gathered at the Greenwood Road home where Joshua Zononi lived with his mother, Lee Zononi, and Ruggiero, the grandfather who helped raise him.

Lee Zononi lost her only son. Blow, who lived on North Street, was the oldest of four boys in his family. "Devastated," Ruggiero said. "Absolutely devastated."

The family said the teens, who graduated from Windsor Locks High School last year, enjoyed playing basketball together. Zononi had been an honors student and had enrolled at Asnuntuck Community College, but had taken time off from college to work. He planned on returning to school and eventually becoming a doctor.

Even at work the two cousins weren't far apart. Zononi worked as a Transportation Security Administration security guard at Bradley International Airport, and Blow worked at the Sheraton Hotel inside the airport, the family members said.

Family members said they are still waiting to hear from police exactly how the accident happened. Zononi, an enterprising computer whiz who bought his new car about a month ago, was not a fast driver, they said.

"He was afraid to drive fast," said Zononi's father, Ken, who is divorced from Lee Zononi, but lives nearby. "He wanted me to drive the car to see how fast it would go."
Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 AM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this information. I read the article this morning and was floored. zspeed350, beleive it or not, when I was reading the article and saw the mention of it being a red 350Z my first thought was of you. Glad to hear it wasn't but, nevertheless, there's nothing to be glad about here.

It's a very sad and tragic story. I was on 91 South yesterday coming from work at about 4:00 PM and I am visualizing exactly where it happened. This story really has upset me. Here I am trying to organize a festive meet for all of us and then I read this article. I keep thinking that these guys could have possibly been guys that I could have met at our meet.

My prayers go out to the family members of these two young men.

Please everyone let's be careful out there. Last night the roads were wet and there were intermittent showers. There is a never a good time to be street racing but wet roads are a recipe for disaster.

Hopefully, we all can learn something from this and move forward.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:25 AM
zpeed350

Hey Victor....thanks for the thought!

I had now idea till about an hour ago, I was talking with my room mate on the phone and he mentioned. We are actually moving to Windsor. Since then it has kinda just $crewed with my head. A person at work lives in Enfield and may have actually known one of them.

As for the meet, I SHOULD be there!!! Sounds like a great day and I am keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. I am hoping to have the car Zainoed by then too. hehe, can't wait.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:24 PM
iriee

to all of us z people we have to feel for the families. this is a rough time for all.
and to all the younger z'ers,,be careful! any car can be dangerous at all speeds and road conditions. its unfortunate times like these that were all reminded of the dangers of speed.

be careful allways.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:25 AM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iriee, please check your PM.
Thanks.