Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Recommend a place in Philly for good cheesesteak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:35 AM
davidc81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
fyi, I ended up going to Geno's and can say I'll never go back. That place seemed racially discriminating to me. Next time i'll go to Pat's or one of the other places. Now I know what one of the members above meant when he said "order in english". They have all this anti-immigration propoganda posted all over the place. I didn't like that about them.
because "Geno" is such an american name right? im sure his relatives werent immigrants.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
gr?

I guess you didn't order the Freedom Fries.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
NextLevel

The reason that stuff is at Geno's is because he is an immigrant descendant.. but...... big but... his family came here and did their best to speak the language (English) and worked hard to get where they are..

The neighborhood was mostly Italian, but now its starting to change, and the new people(Mexicans) decide they want to change the status quo and also the way things are done.. Speaking their own language instead of embracing the "native" one, not taking care of the surroundings, etc..

This is all what he says about it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...sh&btnG=Search
There are a lot of sites that have talked about it, I think he was sued, challenged by public officials etc etc..

Back on topic. I goto Geno's a lot, their cheese fries are great, they do not chop the steak up unless you ask. I am not to fond of Pat's (dirty), Tony Luke's is good, Jim's is good on south street. They are the main places, most people would stop and try one, but there are a lot of places that are good that are not AS popular like Steve's on Bustleton ave below Cottman Ave, across from circuit city.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems like he really has it out for non-americans. He had this insulting article pasted on his checkout window reminding people to make sure they pay there taxes because 19 million immigrants are counting on it. And it has a picture of 4 latino's sitting on some steps drinking beer if i recall. Seriously, thats just plain ignorance.

First of all, the taxes that Americans pay don't really help out immigrants. Immigrants are not entitled to benefits such as social security, unemployment, etc. I know some will argue and say that immigrant children go to public schools and they can't be denied services at a hospital and such, but most immigrants actually work and many go by alias' and pay taxes that they can never claim because they don't have SS numbers.

And no matter who you are, immigrant or not, when you buy something at a store you pay taxes if the item qualifies. Which brings me to my next point, speaking of taxes, funny how Geno's is a cash business only. I'm sure he really does report all the cheese steaks he sells.

Anyway, not trying to get political on this thread, i was just stating that I would try Pat's next time because I don't like Geno's policies.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Cozmo

just dont eat one at 3am and drunk. youll immediately regret it
Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Geno's - "Wit wiz and onions!"
Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Zerk

It's actually "Wiz With" or you might get a dirty look from the cashier.

Why Genos has to be so **** is beyond me. I work in a retail environment and people come up to me all the time asking me questions in the worst broken English possible. Guess what I do? I get over it and do my job like I'm supposed to and go about my day without trying to **** off a whole city.

Last edited by Zerk; 12-15-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Zerk

edited duplicate post deleted

Last edited by Zerk; 12-15-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
overrated.
A good Philly cheesesteak is not overrated. However, I had Pat's and I didn't think it was all that.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:24 PM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I"m still gonna try Pats.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc81
because "Geno" is such an american name right? im sure his relatives werent immigrants.
Actually, his name is Joe, but "Joe's" was already taken, so he named it after a door.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 AM
imjdoggie

I 110% stand behind Joey Vento, if he is the owner of the business he can serve whoever he wants. This all started with a sign in the window saying "when ordering please speak in English" what the heck is wrong with that, we are in America people all he wants is for immigrants to try to learn the English language like his Ancestors did.