Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Relocating to Boston Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Relocating to Boston Area

I'm posting this for a friend of mine.

Her husband just got orders to Boston, to the Natick Soldier Systems Center. They PCS in May, when he gets back from Afghanistan. Can anybody give me any information on the area? Schools, housing, areas to avoid, etc? I'm considering making the move up there as well. The IT job market seems to have more opportunities there, than around here.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Muzlimchu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Area

That is basically right between the 2 belts (I-95 and I-495) and just south of the Pike (I-90). There is a TON of industry in that area. You should have no trouble finding a job in IT. Most of my co-workers live in that area (Ashland, Framingham, Sherborn) and work an hour away cause thats where they want to be. You are about 20-30 mins from DT Boston. However, that area is also expensive. Any specific questions?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 AM
dmroberson

Thanks for the quick reply.

For starters, we're looking for is the least expensive place to live that is suitable for a 3 year old. What are the area school systems like? What kind of extracurricular activities are available in the area for for a family with a small child? What areas are should we avoid, in terms of safety for said child?

That should be a good place to start. Thanks again for any help you can give us.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Muzlimchu

Next door to Natick is Wellsley. They have one of the best school systems. However, you start running into some expensive areas when you are looking for the best school systems. According to zillow.com, median house there is over 1.2 mill. You can't go wrong with any of those towns in that area if you can find a place that suits you. Mass in general has good school systems all over.

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeR...ountyID_0.html

If you are looking to buy, its a fairly good market for it. Otherwise, renting isn't horrible. Condos are a little more reasonably priced. I have no kids but i know single child families living in condos. I grew up with 2 siblings in a condo in Lexington because my mom wanted us to get a good education.

Just get some snow tires for the Z (or a winter beater).
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

I live right down the street from the natick labs. I'd personally stay away from Framingham schools and downtown Framingham. Natick is nice all around and not that expensive.

Last edited by trodis; 02-14-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
dmroberson

Thanks for the replies... Oh, forgot to mention, We've also got an 8 month old Great Dane, the size of a small horse, if that makes any difference...

Last edited by dmroberson; 02-14-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Thanks for the replies... Oh, forgot to mention, We've also got an 8 month old Great Dane, the size of a small horse, if that makes any difference...
Welcome to the area if u do come. We have some great clubs and do the most we can when the weather is nice!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Fleet Z

Better have deep pockets....The Metro West area of Boston is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live. Like the person said in the previous post, the median price of a home is over $1,000,000. Proximity to the downtown Boston and high paying jobs drive prices through the roof.

How much do you pay to get a shirt laundered in NC? $.99? Up here, you're going to pay $2.50+. Oh by the way, heating oil is selling for $3.25 per gallon and property taxes are like another mortgage. Ever heard of Taxachusetts???
And then there's your auto insurance to deal with....God bless the MA legislators that came up with no-fault and no competition between companies.

Good luck....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by Fleet Z
Better have deep pockets....The Metro West area of Boston is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live. Like the person said in the previous post, the median price of a home is over $1,000,000. Proximity to the downtown Boston and high paying jobs drive prices through the roof.

How much do you pay to get a shirt laundered in NC? $.99? Up here, you're going to pay $2.50+. Oh by the way, heating oil is selling for $3.25 per gallon and property taxes are like another mortgage. Ever heard of Taxachusetts???
And then there's your auto insurance to deal with....God bless the MA legislators that came up with no-fault and no competition between companies.

Good luck....
Crap... I might just stay in NC if it's gonna be like that... lol. At least they get B.A.H., I'd need a dam* good paying job to survive there.

Part of the problem we're having with housing is, we're just going off of what we'll get for B.A.H. Which isn't a whole lot. maybe a couple thousand a month. I'm not sure what kind of work I'll find up there yet, so I don't know how much I'd be able to help til I find something.

Last edited by dmroberson; 02-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
617G

Originally Posted by Fleet Z

Good luck....
Aparrently you're not familiar with the current laws...the No-competition law has been lifted affective April 1st

I grew up in Brookline, which has a great school system; one of the best in MA. Anywhere along route 9 west will pretty much suite your needs; Newton, Needham, Natick, Wellesely, etc.

I don't know where this 1mil dollar crap is coming from. There are plenty of 2-3 bedroom houses along route 9 for 300k-500k.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
jtabraham

Take a look at central Mass: Southborough, Northborough, Holliston, Hopkington to name a few. All within close proximity to Natick and the huge technology park in Westborough.

I grew up in Northborough, and thought it was a good area for families