Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

MA exhaust laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
REDLINE LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA exhaust laws

Anyone farmiliar with MA exhaust laws? I've been searching everywhere but all my sources arent agreeing, some say aftermarket exhausts are legal as long as the exhaust note is below a certain db, and then others say their illegal period. Im looking into an HKS true dual system, anyone care to shed some light? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
03Tour6Spd

Ya I've heard of some MA cops being tight ***** about this I guess if its altered to sound louder then its technically illegal in MA... I was pulled over by a state trooper a while back... I was not doing anything wrong at all he just pulled me over walked around my car a few times inspecting it and then checked my tint which was his excuses for pulling me over even tho its perfectly legal and doesn't even look dark... but anyway he didn't say anything about my exhaust at all but I have a borla cat back and its silent at idle but he didn't mention it and I know a few people with obnoxious exhausts that have never been bothered about it...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
savvy

Judging by all the riced out fart can civics I see driving around around Lawrence, I would say you are ok.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:58 PM
REDLINE LIFE

hmmm yeah I know what you guys mean, I see alot of cars driving around with loud exhausts its just I dont wanna spend over 1k just to get a ton of tickets hahaha, how loud is that borla by the way? In comparison to the HKS
Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
turbod350

Its technically illegal to modify your car at all with parts that arent from the factory...but as long as ur exhuast isnt that loud you should be alright.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
gmic350z

im in lynn mass,and havent had a problem with staties or local cops.i have the injen ses exaust ,you see a cop just dont rub it in his by reving it.just coast till they are out of site and then drive it like you stole it!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
REDLINE LIFE

alright sounds good I guess I should just take a chance, as paranoid as I am. Now I just gotta fully decide on an exhaust system, im leaning towards HKS but im not 100% sure
Old 01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
keithman5000

Originally Posted by savvy
Judging by all the riced out fart can civics I see driving around around Lawrence, I would say you are ok.
HAHA. i live in andover, right beside lawrence. we have those border jumpers coming into town and you can hear them from a mile away. they suck and have **** cars.

but to the topic, from what i understand aftermarket exhausts are illegal. the cop pulling you over would have to be kinda an ******* to pull you over on account of it. unless you were purposefully trying to demonstrate the noise it makes.

ive been pulled over on account of my stock exhaust, cant wait to see what they say when i put the new one in.

I hate cops that just go out looking to give tickets...esp on the account of tint and exhaust noise.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
REDLINE LIFE

Hahaha I feel you bro, but lets just say im in lowell alot. Now thats when it gets really bad with the bright orange civics with exhaust units over like 500db hahahahah, thats a mild exaggeration but yeah anyone got any suggestions for exhaust units? I want meaner growl, but not obnoxious loud, something subtle but a mean upgrade
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
theusualsuspect

i have an ammazing sounding true dual bassani set up with headders and test pipes that im selling its just what your looking for give you a good deal on it if your interested ask anyone around here thats heard it in person sounds sick! lol
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
keithman5000

i just bought the X02 exhaust and have yet to put it in. this one company is still selling them on ebay for $570. pretty good for a true dual. plus it makes a good raspy growl and nothing too crazy/crappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjWHUB_ygM
this is what the X02 sounds like...HKS knockoff
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 AM
REDLINE LIFE

Awesome, I'll check out the XO2 Keith, and Suspect what's the figures on your exhaust system? I'm not very farmiliar with Bassani. Thanks Guys!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 AM
paosti350z

yeah, its hit or miss in most parts of MA. It technically is "illegal" to modify the car with anything other than OEM parts.

My 08 Z is stock for the time being(plan on doing some minor stuff before spring-exhaust/intake/springs/rims/tint/stereo-very minor stuff, i want to keep the car basically stock.
However, with my 05 STi- i originally put on a Blitz Nur Spec cat back, and it was ridiculously loud. I honestly felt every second i was driving it, it was just a matter of time before i got pulled over.
I then switched to a Borla XR-1 and Maddad downpipe. While its way louder than stock- its quite a nice sound. Have yet to see any reaction from police in almost 2.5 years with it. The Suby is fairly well modded too.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by gmic350z
if you see a cop just don't rub it in his by reving it.just coast till they are out of site and then drive it like you stole it!!!!
+1 - just don't be stupid about it.

Originally Posted by theusualsuspect
i have an ammazing sounding true dual bassani set up with headders and test pipes that im selling its just what your looking for give you a good deal on it if your interested ask anyone around here thats heard it in person sounds sick! lol
+1 - heard it in person, driving behind it, and it sounds good.

I have a Stillen and it looks like stock, except beefier and the whole exhaust is stainless. I have had many compliments on sound. Its not obnoxious but sounds really nice.

I am in mass if you wanna hear it.

Personally I think the looks of the HKS could kill. Sound is a little less to be desired (raspy).
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
theusualsuspect

if youd like pm me any questions that you wanna know about the set up so that the thread doesnt get cluttered lol ill deff let you know the scoop on the setup.
i have to agree with trodis about hks tho nice setup but not a big fan due to the amount of rasp thats in my opinion in the wrong places(rpm wise).
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
REDLINE LIFE

awesomee, sounds good, thanks for all the input, I'll give you guys an update when I decide what im gonna go with, for now im just redoing the interior. 08 Base, whatta ya expect.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
OMEGA46

Originally Posted by theusualsuspect
Ive heard his exhaust, and it sounds AMAZING. Steve is a good guy, and I would highly suggest anyone looking for a well kept item that is for sale, he is the guy to go to.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Greg D

Ya, it's like what paosti350z says...Any alteration to exhaust is technically "illegal" in mass and they are definitely going to get stricter as time progresses. I'm just north of Boston and had a boosted 02 civic with a 3" exhaust on it and never got pulled over once. My Z has stock exhaust though so it's no problem. Hot spots are beaches.highways, and main roads with staties. Just don't drive like you have a BMW and you should be good unless the cop is in the mood to bust *****.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
wholemilk

the law for state inspection is your exhaust note cannot be louder than the stock exhaust note. that also applies to cops pulling you over. but ultimately it is up to the cop to be an A-hole or not and it is up to the state inspector to be an A-hole or not either
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
hosmer

<---- Injen true dual w/Helix test pipes and I've never had any problems

Quick Reply: MA exhaust laws