Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Aftermarket tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Nizmoboy7269

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket tickets?

I need your guys help. my friend got a ticket for aftermarket exhuast. Not cuz its over the DB levels. Just that its not OEM. does law state that we can not have anything aftermarket. so by placing a none OEM item on our car then we cant do ANYTHING to our cars? help me out on the laws with this one cuz that doesnt seem right.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:11 AM
pacfwu

didn't find anything about exhausts specifically for cars. 95dB is a federal regulation I do believe and I don't think we have anything beyond that in this state. I do know that it IS illegal to remove a functional factory catalytic converter even to replace it with a high-flow one. spend some time here and look it up:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...title&title=46
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about WA but here in CA it is legal to have a catback exhaust. I was pulled over about a year ago and given a ticket for my Injen exhaust. I tried to argue with the cop but still got written up. I ended up having to take my car to the BAR (Bureau of Air Resources) referee for testing (basically a state mechanic that does SMOG checks for violators). I left my Injen exhaust on for the test and passed both visual and emissions.

I asked the ref if there was anything I could do to prevent a cop from pulling me over again and having to repeat the process. He said no, if I got another ticket I would have to come back and retest. Which sucks because there is a mandatory $35 fee for the testing. Unfortunately cops are sometimes unaware of the vehicle code, but there is usually no point in arguing.

I've since switched to the Nismo exhaust since it looks like the stock exhaust.

Not sure about WA but it may be similar to CA. Doubt it can be much worse than CA.

Hope this helps
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM
microsteve40
Know it all

This doesn't sound right to me. Check with SEMA, this is what they are for. If you couldn't have any aftermarket exhaust, you couldn't even go to Midas or Shucks (not that you would) or whatever to get a replacement, because it wouldn't be OEM. You would have to get all repairs/replacements done at the dealership, or at least get your parts from them. I think they got this one wrong. What does the ticket say on it?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Nizmoboy7269

the ticket says AFTERMARKET EXHUAST. which is way stupid. i was informed recently that it is actually aginst the law to change any OEM spec parts. if thats true i wanna start a protest or something cuz they cant do that. it is taking away our right to choose. and that info came from my friend who works at a dealership.