Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

King County - Speeding Tickets!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:59 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry King County - Speeding Tickets!

Alright, before anyone continues to read this post, be warned that I am REALLY PISSED-OFF right now and my point of view at this point is somewhat distorted. However I will attempt to lay the facts out as unbiased as I can

For those of you that live in King county here in the greater Seattle area this is pertaining to an experience that I just had less than an hour ago at the time that I'm writing this. Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a change in the way King county law enforcement has been handing out tickets ever since November?

For those of you familiar with the South-end, I was heading east-bound on 212th St in Kent, over the newly constructed overpass that spans the railroad tracks. I'm still in the process of breaking in my car (CS - Performance) so I was driving this night since we had a break in the weather and the roads were dry.

The one feature of the trip computer that I display most often is the digital speed display. Knowing that law enforcement is looking for excuses to had out tickets (probably to make up for the State's budget deficit). I keep my speeds to within 5 mph of the speed limit when I'm in areas where it's wise to keep my speed in check.

As I crested the bridge I saw that my speed had peaked at 42, the posted limit was 35. So I immediately backed off the throttle and drifted down the remained of the bridge. As I got to the base of the bridge I saw that there was a patrol car waiting in one of the driveways of one of the businesses that are along that road. Instinct took over and I immediately covered my break but saw at the time that I was approaching him I was at 37, according to the 350Z's computer.

If anyone is familiar with that bridge you know that it is pretty big, 2 lanes of traffic going both ways with enough room on the shoulder for another lane, plus the pedestrian walkways on both sides. On such a big road it felt really slow as I was nearing him, so slow it felt silly to be driving at that speed.

I passed him and actually made eye contact with the officer but felt confident that I was moving at the speed limit. I passed him and then he pulled out and came after me.

WTF?!? What's going on here? I immediately check my lights to make sure that they were on. I look at all the gauges as if there was something wrong with the car hoping that they could tell me what, if anything, was wrong.

I pulled into one of the business parking lots along the road. Turn the engine off and drop the window. After a courteous greeting and asking me how fast I thought I was going (I replied "about 40"). The next question before he even asked for my license, insurance and registration was "So how long have you had this car?"

At that point there was a long pause from me. My mind began to analyze the question. What an odd question to ask? Then it hit me.... "Did this guy pulled me over not for speeding, but because of the type of car that I was driving?!?!"

To keep a long story from getting even longer, the office claimed that he clocked me at 50 and game me a ticket for 45+. I argued with the officer for about 15 minutes claiming that there was no way that I could have done that, politely pointing out the facts. I even asked about information on the radar system that he used he claimed he did not know. I even refused to sign the ticket until he mentioned that it would be a criminal offense, so I signed it. What else could I do? I didn't want to push my luck since I could see he was starting to become annoyed with me.

I always knew in the back of my mind that by this car could potentially attract unwanted attention. However this is essentially persecution. Less than 1 week and I'm already on the road to raising my insurance premiums. Crap….

So why am I writing this? Well... mainly to vent, I guess (I'm still pretty pissed-off though). Also to see if anyone else has had a similar unfortunate experience (misery enjoys company). And maybe someone could suggest a strategic approach to contesting this ticket. Like I told officer Dorham (#46610) of Kent PD, "How am I going to contest this ticket? Who's going to believe me knowing that I drive this car?"

PS: Once I got home, I immediately went on-line and purchased a Valentine One.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well doesnt he have to by law show you the radar gun reading if you ask for it? Second just fight it and ask for extensions as much as you can. Most cops wont show up for it and case gets thrown out.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:49 AM
SeattleInfo

This is smart advice for everyone in the King County/Seattle area.

I was pulled over at the King/Snohomish County line for "Tailgating." He had me dead-to-rights on it (I was absolutely riding the guy in front of me's a$$), and was a little disappointed.

Check this article from KOMO TV news about the new crackdowns on "aggressive driving" in the greater Seattle area. I think all of the agencies are working to enforce this.

KOMO TV - State Patrol cracking down on aggressive drivers

No ticket. No $hit. Guy asked me if I wanted "a ticket, or an a$$ chewing." Told me to get down to Pacific Raceways and run my car the way I was there, instead of on his highways.

Another reason to be careful out there.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live right near the road in question. I use it quite a bit, and I know that they're watching it fairly closely. Regardless, that really is a raw deal. You may be able to contest that one.

I'll actually post this in a new thread, but has anyone noticed that there is a discrepancy between the digital and analog speedos? My digital reads about 2 mph lower than what the analog does. I asked my dealer about it yesterday, but I was the first to have asked. (of course). I'm beginning to wonder if the digital one can be trusted.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:48 AM
SeattleInfo

Originally posted by Rahtok
...I'm beginning to wonder if the digital one can be trusted...
The digital speedo is dead on. I've had a gun put on me to test it, and it came out exactly what I had shown on the digital display. The analog speedo is what seems to be off.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd link these two threads...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=17460
Old 01-28-2003, 03:08 AM
Jason

Originally posted by Duck
Well doesnt he have to by law show you the radar gun reading if you ask for it? Second just fight it and ask for extensions as much as you can. Most cops wont show up for it and case gets thrown out.
That's not true, the case does not get thrown out if the cop does not show up. As long as they have submitted a written affidavit, they are good to go.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Jason

drivesolo-

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate ticket

As for the "how long have you had the car" question, yes you probably were profiled, but when you take it to court (which you better) the point of contention will be "did you break the law or not?"

Saying "about 40" was not wise, as the officer will almost certainly note you admitting to speeding in his affidavit. Don't forget, "anything you say can (and probably will) be used against you." You are far better off being indirect and acting on sympathy, example: "Oh man, I thought I was going about the speed limit. It's been a difficult day at work and I had a lot on my mind... girlfriend just broke up with me... etc etc etc."

To boot, you shouldn't argue with the officer on the spot. The last thing you want is him to remember you. You want his affidavit to look as routine as possible, and if you do call him into court you don't want him to remember much to use against you. If you argue with him, he'll likely note the situation considerably better.

Now as for contesting the ticket, if I were you, first thing I'd do in the morning is call Jeanie Mucklestone: https://www.mucklestone.com/index.html

She'll cost you $300, but it's worth it to keep the ticket off your insurance and for the principle of not letting the police use you as their personal fund raiser.

Also, if you haven't had a ticket in like the last 5 years, I beleive that you can ask to defer your infraction. Meaning that your ticket won't go on your record if you don't get another one for the next 3 years or something like that. However, with that situation you always have to worry about a double-whammy in the future. With a 350Z that's not a bet I'd want to place

Good luck fighting the ticket!
Jason
Old 01-28-2003, 08:34 AM
drivesolo

Default Profiling

Jason,

Thanks for the advice. I've alread contacted a traffic attourney, but I'd like to leave my options open so I'll also contact the one you mentioned above. It was unwise for me to admit to doing "around 40" but I was totally confused as to why he pulled me over , speeding was the last thing that I would have suspected.

I've been thinking about what happened for almost a week now, and I feel that I was a target of racial/age profiling. I am asian, although I will be turning 30 this year, I still get carded everytime I go out for drinks. I look considerably younger than I really am. So here's the scenerio from a more closed-minded point of view:

Young asian kid + fast new car (parent's probably paid for it) + night time + Kent + streets are dry after a long period of rain = "Pull him over, he's gotta be up to no good."

The officer didn't react to me until after he had a good look at me when I passed by him. Since Kent is notorious for it's street racing crowd I think that he suspected I was some kid in his ricer looking to race. He spoke to me in the same manner that adults often do with childern with the words "Do you undertand?..." used often. I didn't appreciate the condescending manner that he was addressing me so I was compelled to explain my situation just so I could have some discussion with him to show that "I am not a child" and "Yes, I do speak english.".

Maybe if I said "Oh man officer, if I get one more ticket my folks will take my new car away, that they bought me, ground me for a month and make me eat nothing but rice the whole time." I might have gotten some sympathy.

Oh wait... just to dispell any suspicons:
- I live with my wife... not my parents
- we have a home, also... not my parent's
- I bought the car on my own... parents couldn't care
- I don't street race (previous car was an SUV)... can't find anyone willing to degrade themself that much
- 2nd ticket ever, driving since 18.
- Rice? Yeah... I do eat it and kinda like it too.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Marv1000

The ticket deferral program is if you haven't had a ticket in the last 7 years. You can defer it for an administrative fee of $115 (and not pay the ticket). If you don't get another ticket in the next year, the ticket does not go on your record.

If you do get another ticket in the next year (even for non-moving violations), both tickets go on your record.

I'm about 6 months into my "year" so far. <sigh>

I also believe that a cop cannot legally give you a ticket for anything less than 5 over. I've heard this word of mouth from numerous people, and I've been pulled over a few times and things the cops have said all hint at this (one even blatantly said that the lowest he could go was 5 over (he was trying to be "nice" to me)). You should be farely safe admitting to something less than that. If anyone has any proof that this isn't true, let me know! I'm very curious to hear about it!

Also, if you request that the officer be present at your hearing, he has to show. If he does not, they throw the case out. Keep in mind that it requires a written request on your part (I believe at least 2 weeks before the hearing).

Also, you'll usually get a plea before your hearing that will cost you a little extra and keep the ticket off of your record (so I hear from lots of people). Something else to keep in mind.

And down here in Olympia, it takes a good four months to get a court date. I really doubt any cop would remember one incident after four months (considering how many people they must pull over).
Old 01-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Jason

I have more comments to add aboure the race/age thing later; unfortunately those arguments will never fly in traffic court.

Anyways, at the moment I'm off to arbitration to try and make Toyota buy back my POS MR2 Spyder. Will catch up later

Take care,
Jason
Old 02-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Jason

Okay sorry it took so long to get back.

Anyways, if you go into a traffic court and say, "The officer pulled be over because I'm Asian" the judge will snicker and slap you with the full fine. A judge isn't interested in hearing excuses on why the officer picked you; there are trillions of fish in the sea, you're just the unlucky one who got snagged on the fishermans hook.

What the judge cares about: is there a preponderance of evidance to prove you were speeding. In most cases, a judge considers a radar reading and officer affidavit a preponderance of evidence.

It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is. You aren't getting completely off this hook without a lawyer I'd be willing to bet.

That said, I do know one person that sued their local PD for profiling and WON. I don't know any specifics of that case though.

Once again, good luck!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:56 AM
drivesolo

Default Let me clarify

I went back and read what I had posted in my last response and realized that it may have come out a little wrong.

I apologize, but please let me to clarify.... I don't think the cop pulled me over because I was Asian, I think he pulled me over because he profiled me as one of those guys that street race down in Kent. As it turns out a lot of them tend to be of Asian ethnicity and relatively young. I won't accuse the officer of harboring any type of prejudice against me because of my race. I will accuse him of harboring a prejudice against me because of my perceived age, the type of car that I drive and for assuming what my reason for being in Kent was.

Anyways, I've already hired a traffic attorney and I've left the mater in her hands. Hopefully this whole thing can be settled without affecting my insurance premiums. I still feel as though I did not deserve this ticket in anyway, but I am not angry about it anymore. I was going to file a complaint against the officer at the Kent PD (recommended by Federal Way officer) but my atorney recommended that I wait until after the ticket had been taken care of. Yeah, I know all this sounds a little extereme for a little traffic violation, but I guess my main motivation for doing this is that I truly feel that I was wronged.

I appreciate the advice that you've offered Jason. Hopefully I won't get into a situation where I'll need to use it anytime soon.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Jason

Sounds like you're on a good track. What lawyer did you use? It's always good to know what the good traffic lawyers around are
Old 02-03-2003, 05:04 PM
drivesolo

Default Traffic attorney

I went with a lawyer that a friend of mine suggested. She helped him on several tickets over the years and has never let him down. Donna K. Tucker of Tucker and Stien P.S. Inc., up in Bellevue. She's still working on my case and I haven't heard from her yet. It may be a while until I hear something because I just got the ticket a week ago so it may be sometime before my date in court is scheduled.

I can't say that I'd recommend her, but if she does come through and get this ticket turned around, she'll definately have credit with me.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:08 PM
dsutan

a friend of mine just got a 350 dollar ticket for doing an e-brake and spinning n stuff. i thought it was pretty funny.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
FairladyZi

Originally Posted by drivesolo
I went with a lawyer that a friend of mine suggested. She helped him on several tickets over the years and has never let him down. Donna K. Tucker of Tucker and Stien P.S. Inc., up in Bellevue. She's still working on my case and I haven't heard from her yet. It may be a while until I hear something because I just got the ticket a week ago so it may be sometime before my date in court is scheduled.

I can't say that I'd recommend her, but if she does come through and get this ticket turned around, she'll definately have credit with me.

Dude,
What the rates are if it comes to traffic attorneys???? I’m looking for one myself and so far I got this guy who does not seem trustworthy or convincing and he wants $650.
I never had to take an attorney with me so I don’t really know their prices but that seem highhhh ghhhh
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

There are 3 lawyers that I suggest to everyone I know that gets a non-criminal traffic citation. $300 and your ticket disappears...no fines, not even court appearances for you. If anyone is interested, just PM me and I can get you the info. One in particular has gotten me off of 3 citations, my Dad off of 2, my sister off of 1 (another one is pending), a friend off of a reckless and a few tickets, and my ex-gf of a ticket as well. Great track record, as you can see...
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
drivesolo

Whoa... this is a blast from the past. Probably one of my first posts on this forum. I just read through it and thought to myself... "Man, is this guy having a bad bad day. Sounds pretty grumpy."

I gotta say, that V1 has served me well. 2 year & 8 months later only got pulled over once for not having a front license plate. It's saved my butt more than a few times, it sure beats paying attourney fees.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
JindaZ

lol i was reading this and then i looked at the date and was like

Quick Reply: King County - Speeding Tickets!