Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Flying to Seattle for a job interview. Can anyone help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying to Seattle for a job interview. Can anyone help me out?

Hey guys. I'm flying into Seattle on the 31st for a job interview at Pacific Propeller International and was hoping anyone from around there could give me some insight. Any of you have knowledge of this place? It's in Kent to be exact. I sent my resume (Avionics technician) to them yesterday and today the assistant manager called me up and asked if i could make it in. Not only am i looking for info on this company, i'm looking for info on the area. Ghetto or nice, how far from what, things like this. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by Nic@CiNcity; 01-16-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM
brandon7382

I lived in Kent/Fairwood area. Kent is not a ghetto area. It is kinda a quiet town but not ghetto for sure. From Kent to Seattle, you are looking for 30 mins of driving if no traffic and depends on which part of Kent cause Kent is pretty big. We need more people to come in and invest to this little town beside that, i donno anything about that company, never heard of it
Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live at the Southend of Renton near Kent. I guess "ghetto" all depends on one's definition. Like brandon7382 said; Kent is a Big place. There are multi-million dollar homes there as well as trailer home parks. What's more important is what part of Kent are you refering to.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
pacificwindsurf

I lived in Kent for two years, after living in Seattle and before moving to Bellevue. I've never heard of that company, which I suppose could be good or bad ... As far as Kent is concerned, the non-politically correct short story, is that it is an area that maybe was once more of a white middle class rural or suburban area, but now is where the new, "affordable" housing developments area. You know, every city has those areas where all the new houses are that are the typical two car garage, median home price target, etc. If you are willing to commute 30 minutes to an hour, than anything is an option from Kent. You can commute to forests in the East, or areas more urban to the North in Seattle or South in Tacoma. Kent is exactly half way between Tacoma and Seattle, which gives you lots of options.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Soccerprep205

Plus Kent is the Infamous street racing scene!! haha i haven't been very much in the last year or so though. But it was fun while it was at its peak. Kent has a mall and everything needed to have a day. I would recommend driving to Seattle for a Washington experience. ORRRRR you can go visit Jason at W1P.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Ok, cool. Thanks guys. I googled Pacific Propeller International (PPI as they call it) and the web site was actualy kinda neat. Did a map quest of where it was at, but after looking at it, i realized it doesn't mean much since i know nothing of Seattle anyway. Althoug my brother is in school at Seattle college of Arts or Art institute or whatever it is?? Thanks for everything! Sounds like fun.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
dkorr

I wouldn't worry too much about whether Kent is ghetto place or not. If by your standards you find its 'ghetto' you can always live elsewhere. Just leave urself plenty of time for traffic and snow. BTW where are you coming from?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kent is being developed. Compared to Bellevue, you might consider it ghetto, but compared to Bellevue or Seattle, it's still affordable.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 AM
IronMedic

i live in puyallup which is south of kent. puyallup is a nice city but very busy. the whole northwest around here is very scenic and nice except traffic is just a pain. there are plenty of shortcuts to learn around here!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I wasn't saying or suggesting that Kent is ghetto, just asking what it was like? I'm getting out of the military in Minot North Dakota, so... ANYTHING is better than here. I'd even live in a box in Mexico to leave this rats nest. Also, are there any good public schools area that area i should look into? My wife will be starting her third year of teaching (1st grade).
Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
skidmarq

Oh man, that company must have been pretty desperate if they are calling you!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Ballin'g35

I know a couple of people that work there, I actually work at Sysco of seattle which is right next door. I would say parts of kent are ghetto, but some are nice. There are a lot of nice places to live in the surrounding area also.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by skidmarq
Oh man, that company must have been pretty desperate if they are calling you!!!
where did that come from?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Haha.. Skid gave me the link where i posted my resume. So now i have another interview in Portland the day before as well. This turned out to be pretty sweet. I'd rather live in Seattle where my brother is, but i've been in and around Portland alot. Guess we'll see? Thanks again SKID!!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 AM
IronMedic

go check out living in auburn. there are some nice suburbs in the northern part of auburn. that is like 10-15 min drive to kent.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 AM
skidmarq

Originally Posted by Subrwho
Thanks again SKID!!
You betcha, Brotha, good luck and hope to see you out here soon!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:37 AM
dkorr

Haha.. Skid gave me the link where i posted my resume. So now i have another interview in Portland the day before as well. This turned out to be pretty sweet. I'd rather live in Seattle where my brother is, but i've been in and around Portland alot. Guess we'll see? Thanks again SKID!!
You said your bro goes to Art Institute of Seattle? that's a good location. Its near the Pike's Place Market area.

Congrats on your double-header interviews. If this all works out, we'll all go for a Z-cruise by Spring. I lived in six different cities and each time I would make the move because of the job opportunity- so I can relate to you.

Here are some interview questions that I've been asked:

"Why do you want to work here?"
"What kind of experience do you have for this job?"
"What did you like/dislike about your last job?"
"Why are you leaving your present position?"
"How long would you stay with the company?"
"How long would it take you to make a contribution to our company?"
"What would you like to be doing five years from now?"
"What are your biggest accomplishments?"
"Can you work under pressure?"
What are you looking for in your next job?"
"Describe the most difficult problem you've had to deal with."
"What would your references say?"

Good Luck!

Last edited by dkorr; 01-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dkorr
You said your bro goes to Art Institute of Seattle? that's a good location. Its near the Pike's Place Market area.

Congrats on your double-header interviews. If this all works out, we'll all go for a Z-cruise by Spring. I lived in six different cities and each time I would make the move because of the job opportunity- so I can relate to you.

Here are some interview questions that I've been asked:

"Why do you want to work here?"
"What kind of experience do you have for this job?"
"What did you like/dislike about your last job?"
"Why are you leaving your present position?"
"How long would you stay with the company?"
"How long would it take you to make a contribution to our company?"
"What would you like to be doing five years from now?"
"What are your biggest accomplishments?"
"Can you work under pressure?"
What are you looking for in your next job?"
"Describe the most difficult problem you've had to deal with."
"What would your references say?"

Good Luck!
dkorr brings up a good point. I move to the Seattle area 10 years ago. My plan was to stay for a little while (2 years tops), gain some job experience and then move back to NYC (born and raised). But after a little more than a year here, I realized that the pacific northwest was the place for me. I think a lot of us here on the NW forum are 'transplants' from other parts of the country (or other countries) that call the Pac NW home now.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I'm actualy from Oregon though. Spent most of my childhood in SW Oregon (Brookings) and then attended COCC (**** on the rock) in Bend OR. I LOVE the North West and REALLY hope this whole thing pans out.

So now that i'm looking into this other interview i got, i'm not so sure it's going to be for me? It looks like it's a job service place? Has anyone ever heard of expresspersonal something or other? They're ALL over jobdango.com and guess they have billboards and stuff as well. From what it sounds like, they look for employees for local business's that don't do it themselves. Does that sound right? They're based in Beaverton i believe??
Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
pacificwindsurf

Portland is a great city. If I had to leave Seattle, Portland is one of the other few cities I'd live in. I would say, compared to Seattle, Portland is cheaper, more liberal (yeah if you can beleive it), a little smaller, a little colder in the winter, hotter in the Summer .. but other than that, much like Seattle.