Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

rims debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
icedoutis
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, just washed rims for the first time, when i got done washing them, I noticed that they were scratched, and rainbow colored on the lip. Talked to my detail guys, and they said that it was because when the center pieces were installed, they rotaded them into place, and used some wax to cover it. Washing took that right off. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this without taking it all apart and buffing it out? Or what would cause the rainbow and hazing effect on the lip? Used soap and water.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:26 AM
zip

Originally Posted by icedoutis
ok, bought a set of gloss black volk GTS off wheelautohaus today. 19x9.5 +17 front, 19x10.5 +18 rear. My car is lowered 1/2-1 inch. Now, All I need is tires. Decided to go with Toyo T1r's, but don't know how wide i can go without rubbing. Anyone have a similar set-up that would know? Thanks in advance. Never know, maybe I will become good enough for Andy at performance nissan one day, since no other car in the NW is good enough for him.
Interesting you bought your wheels/tires from wheelsautohause after me and got them in a week and almost a month later I am still waiting. Got different rims and same tires. I'm told they can't get the tires - but looks like you got yours. Was told I would get them in 1-1.5 weeks... Starting to get p-o'ed...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 AM
saberphx

Gts Ftw!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Big lips and low offset FTW!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 AM
saberphx

Resistance is retarded!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Soopa G

ok, just washed rims for the first time, when i got done washing them, I noticed that they were scratched, and rainbow colored on the lip. Talked to my detail guys, and they said that it was because when the center pieces were installed, they rotaded them into place, and used some wax to cover it. Washing took that right off. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this without taking it all apart and buffing it out? Or what would cause the rainbow and hazing effect on the lip? Used soap and water.
first of all, you can't buff Volks, the finish is a clear anodized. Are you sure you just used soap and water?

If you used some type of wheel cleaner that is not compatible with anodized finishes they are stained and you be screwed
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
wasuber

OMG I just realised your "detail guys" might have used a wheel cleaner that ate the finish off your wheels or damaged it, I would kick thier asses! If not, disregard.

But if they did I say kill them...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I am curious, I thought someone said in this thread that the largest tires you can run without rolling the fenders is 245F and 275R? Is this only for 19s? Cuz I have much larger tires than that on my car right now and they fit fine with no rub and a 1 inch drop.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
I am curious, I thought someone said in this thread that the largest tires you can run without rolling the fenders is 245F and 275R? Is this only for 19s? Cuz I have much larger tires than that on my car right now and they fit fine with no rub and a 1 inch drop.
What's your offsets, widths and camber settings?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
What's your offsets, widths and camber settings?
The wheels are 18x8.5F and 18x9.5R Not sure of the offsets because the wheels belong to a friend (I didn't buy them) and I don't have a camber kit yet.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
The wheels are 18x8.5F and 18x9.5R Not sure of the offsets because the wheels belong to a friend (I didn't buy them) and I don't have a camber kit yet.
Then you wheels don't even apply here, we are talking about low offset 9.5/10.5 setups
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
icedoutis
Banned

Originally Posted by zip
Interesting you bought your wheels/tires from wheelsautohause after me and got them in a week and almost a month later I am still waiting. Got different rims and same tires. I'm told they can't get the tires - but looks like you got yours. Was told I would get them in 1-1.5 weeks... Starting to get p-o'ed...
got the rims from wheelautohaus, tires from status, both came in 5 days. Status should still have the tires in stock (also a set of the GT-S rims).
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
icedoutis
Banned

Originally Posted by wasuber
OMG I just realised your "detail guys" might have used a wheel cleaner that ate the finish off your wheels or damaged it, I would kick thier asses! If not, disregard.

But if they did I say kill them...
Talked to them, they said that they used a non aerosol spray degreaser (that they use on all clear coated rims, and paint) to get off most of the dirt, so when they used a mit, it wouldn't scratch the rims. after drying, they noticed the "rainbow effect hazing", and some scratches that looked like they were from installing the black center piece onto the outer part of the rim. Took a pic with my camera phone, but it was horrible, and you can't see anything (I hate my razr phone)
Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Soopa G

Talked to them, they said that they used a non aerosol spray degreaser (that they use on all clear coated rims, and paint) to get off most of the dirt, so when they used a mit, it wouldn't scratch the rims. after drying, they noticed the "rainbow effect hazing", and some scratches that looked like they were from installing the black center piece onto the outer part of the rim. Took a pic with my camera phone, but it was horrible, and you can't see anything (I hate my razr phone)
yep, you're screwed.....that **** eats the anodizing off the rims......

I'm sure they are unfamiliar with Volks....that's why no one touches my car....

Last edited by Soopa G; 07-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
wasuber

I gotta see this now. Nothing touches my rims but soap and water, simple green is ok to use also, I didn't know that the other types of Volk wheels were anodized as well. Your car looks good though, did you ever take it to get the suspension looked at?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
icedoutis
Banned

appt tomorrow at nissan of the eastside for the suspension/steering. Hopefully it's warranty. Will try to use some mothers mag alluminum polish on them, and see what it does.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Soopa G

appt tomorrow at nissan of the eastside for the suspension/steering. Hopefully it's warranty. Will try to use some mothers mag alluminum polish on them, and see what it does.
Mother's may work but I'd recommend Wenol....
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
redlude97

don't use aluminum polish on them! thats meant for oncoated wheels only. You'll likely start stripping the anodizing with the wheel polish
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM
icedoutis
Banned

well, just went to schucks, tried 3 different things on my wheels, but to no avail. Tried mothers mag polish, normal paint polish, and blue magic wheel polish. Wouldn't even turn black. Pretty pissed right now. Those rims were on my car for 1 week. And now they are FU*KED UP. Was told that it is acid burns on the lip. Said I have 2 options left. First option is to try the chrome polish/rust remover, but was told it may be too harsh, and hurt the rims more, or just go and get them resurfaced. Anyone have any more suggestions? Furious at this point. Want to grab my knife from the side of my passenger seat, slit my detailer's throat, pour degreaser down the gaping hole, and laugh at his *** till he bleads out, and sh*t's himself before death.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

buy what you like most. at the time i bought my GT7's, the LE, Challenge and TE's were the most popular. I personally liked the GT7's the most so that is what I bought and I couldnt be happier. dont let anyone persuade you away from what you like best. you have a good list of wheels and you really cant go wrong with any of them. just get what you like. see how many people are selling their wheels after only a short time? my theory is they get what they think is popular instead of listening to their own wants. right now the wheel of the day is the GTS which i think are ok looking wheels but the challenge is a much better looking 5 spoke imho. notice all the GTS's for sale lately?

Quick Reply: rims debate