Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

rims debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
wasuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icedoutis
well, just went to schucks, tried 3 different things on my wheels, but to no avail. Tried mothers mag polish, normal paint polish, and blue magic wheel polish. Wouldn't even turn black. Pretty pissed right now. Those rims were on my car for 1 week. And now they are FU*KED UP. Was told that it is acid burns on the lip. Said I have 2 options left. First option is to try the chrome polish/rust remover, but was told it may be too harsh, and hurt the rims more, or just go and get them resurfaced. Anyone have any more suggestions? Furious at this point. Want to grab my knife from the side of my passenger seat, slit my detailer's throat, pour degreaser down the gaping hole, and laugh at his *** till he bleads out, and sh*t's himself before death.
+1 cut them !
Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Soopa G

Originally Posted by redlude97
don't use aluminum polish on them! thats meant for oncoated wheels only. You'll likely start stripping the anodizing with the wheel polish
I've used Wenol on my Volks...doesn't strip them, removed some very minor brakedust stains...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Soopa G
I've used Wenol on my Volks...doesn't strip them, removed some very minor brakedust stains...
yes, but if you rub hard enough it WILL go through the anodizing. The anodized layer is very thin and very easy to damage. A much better option is a mild claybar with lots of lubricant
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Z33VQ35

dude yall are scaring me to wash my Volks. For the same reason, I haven't used anything but car wash soap and water on my rims.

My roommate used have Blitz rims on his Supra and used wheel cleaner which detail shops used (his work had detail) but messed that up just like that. I think he got it fixed but I'll ask and let you know where and how much....

I am sooooo sorry to hear what had happened to brand new set of GTSs....
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I had some SSR's with anodized lips in the past. Such a pain in the ass. I've vowed to try and stay away from that, ever since then. Love the Stainless jacket over the lip on my PIAA's. It's only on the 20's, too, not any of the smaller sizes...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
icedoutis
Banned

ok, so teh wenol product ended up not working, so for the last 2 days, ive been stripping the rims with oven cleaner (PS don't get that **** on your hands...it burns like hell). Used some mothers mag alluminum polish on 1 and they lok like chrome. Better than the stock look. Was the only way to do it, unless I wanted to pay 200 per rim to get them done professionally. Chroming would have cost 2k and took 2-3 months.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM
sno

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the detail shop ****ed up your rims and you're doing everything you can to FIX the problem? I'd be going after the detail shop...
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
icedoutis
Banned

was the detail shop where I work at (car lot). Can't go after my own employment...won't have a job anymore...make good money there too.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by icedoutis
ok, so teh wenol product ended up not working, so for the last 2 days, ive been stripping the rims with oven cleaner (PS don't get that **** on your hands...it burns like hell). Used some mothers mag alluminum polish on 1 and they lok like chrome. Better than the stock look. Was the only way to do it, unless I wanted to pay 200 per rim to get them done professionally. Chroming would have cost 2k and took 2-3 months.
Sorry the Wenol didn't work, I had a feeling it wouldn't. Did you remove the centers to polish? If you did, a mothers powerball with aluminum polish will quickly make those wheels bling. Look into some zoopseal to keep the finish looking good for longer, I've heard good things about it on autopia http://www.zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp
Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
icedoutis
Banned

well, it's 8:00, and I call it quits...successfully got 2 rims done...this takes way too damn long. Gonna go buy a powerball tomorrow (and a cordless drill for it to work). Looking closer at it, I think I need to soak my front rim in the oven cleaner 1 more time to get the inside pieces a little bit more. There is still a little bit of cleaner on them. Neighbors are pissed at me because I got that **** on the ground as well (turns nasty colors).
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Z33VQ35

I'm glad you found something to clean the mess up on your lip.

I asked what my buddy Pete did when he got his Blitz messed up. He also used some professional wheel cleaner from his own work. The bottle stated "for all wheel finishes" so got them on the phone. After *****in' and moanin' for a several months (6 months to be exact) they paid 600 bucks which was an estimate from Car Nutz to take his wheels a part and rechrome all 4 lip (he only messed up 2 of 4 but chrome whouldn't look the same as original polish). This way you can make the cleaner company responsible...

Good luck!