Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Speeding ticket -contest or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Analog.Lemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket -contest or not?

Got the damn ticket on I-5 around Lynnwood for $247. Do I stand any chances if I contest? I have Canadian license plate and driver license.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM
pinkbraprincess

Originally Posted by Analog.Lemon
Got the damn ticket on I-5 around Lynnwood for $247. Do I stand any chances if I contest? I have Canadian license plate and driver license.
More info Dude.............were you speeding? How fast? Do you have past tickets? Do you live in Canada? What LE gave it to you?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plead no contest due to the fact that you are Canadian. I am not really sure what being Canadian has to do with speeding in the US. You might tell them that being Canadain/ignorance is an excuse for the law, in Canada.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinkbraprincess
More info Dude.............were you speeding? How fast? Do you have past tickets? Do you live in Canada? What LE gave it to you?
+1, i have a court date too on 31st
Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
jjaujou

Give Jeannie Mucklestone a call if you're more worried about your record than the money. Her track record is excellent, and I would definitely use her again in the future.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Analog.Lemon

I'm not sure if they can pull my history as I have no US license (I already know that insurance companies can't access Canadian records). And yes, I was speeding -shamefully doing +90 When the **** happened I was living in WA but now I'm back in Canada.

Last edited by Analog.Lemon; 07-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
dkorr

I'm not sure if they can pull my history as I have no US license (I already know that insurance companies can't access Canadian records). And yes, I was speeding. When the **** happened I was living in WA but now I'm back in Canada.
I'm Canadian, lived in Washington, got speeding ticket, and hired a lawyer... so I think I can answer that for you...

You will get the ticket in the mail. Somehow they pool info across the border. And yes, ICBC will know about this. Normally I would say hire Mucklestone for $350 to get rid of the ticket, but in your case it could be tricky. Just pay the fine and hope still gives you the 45% discount rate.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

When I got a ticket in Canada, I just paid it. Since I was fairly sure it wouldn't show up on my record here.

I suppose you could give that lady a call (I've used her before and she's great) but I was on probation (1 more ticket w/in a year thing) and it was worth it to me to try to get this one gone as it would eliminate the other also)

Being from out of the country, I don't know. Paying $250 is about what she charges anyway and there's no guarantee she can get you out of the ticket. But hiring her, would eliminate you from having to come down here again for the court date.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
When I got a ticket in Canada, I just paid it. Since I was fairly sure it wouldn't show up on my record here.

I suppose you could give that lady a call (I've used her before and she's great) but I was on probation (1 more ticket w/in a year thing) and it was worth it to me to try to get this one gone as it would eliminate the other also)

Being from out of the country, I don't know. Paying $250 is about what she charges anyway and there's no guarantee she can get you out of the ticket. But hiring her, would eliminate you from having to come down here again for the court date.
I think he got the ticket in WA, not Canada... totally different system. Either side of the border, he's f--kd
Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
350Zimo

I'm not sure if they can pull my history as I have no US license (I already know that insurance companies can't access Canadian records). And yes, I was speeding -shamefully doing +90 When the **** happened I was living in WA but now I'm back in Canada.
well, if you contest the ticket the first question the judge will address to you is "were you speeding". What would you answer?

The speed limit on I 5 assumingly was 70mph further north. You see if you were not really speading that much and you were a "quota" victim you could request "discovery" where they have to present information regarding the way they clocked you whether pacing or by hand held radar. Either way I highly doubt that you will win. Just pay the ticket, or get a deferment. Since you live in Canada it's not going to be worth it to make an extra trip to US so you can defend yourself. Unless you wanna pay a lawyer
Old 07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Analog.Lemon

The 90 mph was what the officer clocked me; I think I was going slower but still over the limit. I am in deep **** -I'm on probation from ICBC and one more strike gets me suspended. If out-of-province offenses are reflected on my Canadian record then I better hire this lady... And that's what I want to know -will it be reflected?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 AM
dkorr

The 90 mph was what the officer clocked me; I think I was going slower but still over the limit. I am in deep **** -I'm on probation from ICBC and one more strike gets me suspended. If out-of-province offenses are reflected on my Canadian record then I better hire this lady... And that's what I want to know -will it be reflected?
yikes... ICBC probation is a bytch. I guess you're far from 45% discount. Does that mean you have at least a 45% surcharge?

Traffic lawyers tend to charge based on what county the offense has taken place. ie you don't want to hire a lawyer from King Cnty if offense took place in Snohomish or Whatcom. An alternative to Mucklestone is Lisa Donaldson. I got a speeding ticket on the way up to Surrey from Belligham last year. She can acquit you easily based on 'insufficient evidence'. As far as getting you off the hook she'll do it just as well as Mucklstone (prolly cheaper), but whether she can communicate with ICBC is another story alltogether.

Donaldson & Knigge Seattle, WA 98102 Telephone: 206-915-0137 Fax: 206-781-7835 Email: lisadonaldson@seattletrafficlawyer.com Web Site: www.SeattleTrafficLawyer.com
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
SpoilsofWar

Whats ICBC? Just curious.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Analog.Lemon

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
DMV + all auto insurance companies = ICBC = Insurance Corp of British Columbia. It controls licensing AND insurance (you have to buy your basic insurance from them, and only them). Monopoly at its finest.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Analog.Lemon

Originally Posted by dkorr
yikes... ICBC probation is a bytch. I guess you're far from 45% discount. Does that mean you have at least a 45% surcharge?

Traffic lawyers tend to charge based on what county the offense has taken place. ie you don't want to hire a lawyer from King Cnty if offense took place in Snohomish or Whatcom. An alternative to Mucklestone is Lisa Donaldson. I got a speeding ticket on the way up to Surrey from Belligham last year. She can acquit you easily based on 'insufficient evidence'. As far as getting you off the hook she'll do it just as well as Mucklstone (prolly cheaper), but whether she can communicate with ICBC is another story alltogether.

Donaldson & Knigge Seattle, WA 98102 Telephone: 206-915-0137 Fax: 206-781-7835 Email: lisadonaldson@seattletrafficlawyer.com Web Site: www.SeattleTrafficLawyer.com
Thanks alot for the info -I'll definitely give her a call.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 AM
SpoilsofWar

DMV + all auto insurance companies = ICBC = Insurance Corp of British Columbia. It controls licensing AND insurance (you have to buy your basic insurance from them, and only them). Monopoly at its finest.
Wow...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Unless you decide to take a deferral, contest it. It's around $250-$350 these days, and well worth it.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Analog.Lemon

Yeah I've already phoned the Donaldson lady and ready to contest for $285. That's what I should've done for my previous offense (2 counts) that happened a year ago here in Vancouver -I did contest but didn't get a lawyer and the best I could do was pleading not guilty to one count. I really regret it. I had a clean record until then.

Anyways I'm glad I posted in here!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
pinkbraprincess

If it were me, I would ask for the ticket to be deferred, if it's the only one you've gotten in the U.S. Usually the judge will reduce the fine, but you have to be good for a year and then it doesn't go on your record.

The boys are right, border patrol knows all on either side........

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket -contest or not?