Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

whats a decent 350z lap time at SIR (pacific raceway)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
dome P 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a decent 350z lap time at SIR (pacific raceway)?

hey guys

im curious, what a respectable lap time for a stock 350z on street rubber (non R compounds) at pacific raceway?

cheers

dp
Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
G35Soul

There are too many variables to consider.

Driver skill
Weather (wet or dry)
Modifications
etc., etc.

A lightly modded Z (only I/H/E, and Tein coilovers) was lapping consistant 1:47s on RE-01Rs on a dry August day this past summer. It was lapping with the group below me in Group B.

I have yet to track my Z. But, I was lapping my Civic in the 1:40s on street Toyo R1R's. Since I've owned my Z, I can feel that it could likely lap around around the 1:42-1:46 range.

Last edited by G35Soul; 11-12-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 AM
dome P 2

cool 1:40 ? wow that civic really scoots... considering its kinda of power track.

i was doing 1:48s in a bone stock 05 on 17's. i had to save the car for my round trip back to socal so i wouldnt cook the brakes...lol

doing 3 spirted laps and then sneaking in one hot one... traffic was heavy and i only got a couple of laps without slower traffic. your 1:42-46 sounds spot on with a competent driver.

its been about 17 years since i last drove SIR before the z outing. i forgot what a entertaining track it is. they seem to have put in a kink on the front straights that never use to be there. Phil Hill used to call it the "mini ring". i can see why... i driven that too and say id have to agree.

compared to all the featureless desert waste land tracks we have in socal SIR like many of the little know tracks around the country is somewhat underrated. most of the car mags do there test at the mundane streets of willow and button so they get a lot of exposure.

i cant imagine owning a sportscar up in wa with the state patrol up there. id be at SIR everychance so i wont lose my licsense.

cheers and keep hit a late apex

db
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
G35Soul

1:48s is great for a bone stock Z! What tires were you on?

I have to agree with you regarding the track. Pacific Raceways is VERY underrated! The scenary & elevation changes alone combine for an enjoyable lapping experience! I'm jealous though....At least in SoCal, you have a plethera of tracks to choose from!

Here is a video of my civic chasing an Ariel Atom & Lotus Elise Exige. It doesn't showcase my 1:40 laptime, but gives a good idea of what the car is capable of. My oil temps prevented me from really pushing it, and the Toyo R1Rs were starting to oil up (you'll see the understeer, and the awkward line I was taking into Turn#5)

Hopefully I'll see you at PR next track season!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJIz5Cd5dw
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

I raced at the SCCA Double National at SIR over a decade ago and still have distinct memories of what a cool track it was. I particularly liked the switchbacks on the back side of the course and accelerating through the forest. Still, there wasn't much runoff room and no armco like at Road America.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by dome P 2

Phil Hill used to call it the "mini ring". i can see why... i driven that too and say id have to agree.

db
Phil Hill as in the F1 driver that recently passed away?

mini ring as in mini version of the nurburgring?

man, I really gotta get out there and drive this track
Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 AM
dome P 2

G35

yea 48's its ok considering i was put mistakenly put in novice class because i was not a local and they thought i was a noob.
traffic was mostly like rush hour on the the 405. i was tunning my radio down the straights i was so bored at times. im not sure what the tires are they are stock think 225F and 235R 17s. i think they are somesort of brigdestones. if i had brakes i think i cudda shaved off a couple of seconds of 48. but i had a long long way to drive home and SIR is tough on brakes.

believe me socal tracks are way way overrated. street of willow that everybody raves about really sucks and is geared for punny fwd cars (no offense). fonatana sucks with its glorifed go-kark infield. big willow is better and buttonwillow is fun though both look like desert landfills. most socal folks love it because that all the know. norcal tracks are much better. i luv laguna eventhough its a pretty easy track to drive. i been out to thunderhill and sear point (infideon?) to watch and they to look nice too.

nice vid... that one quick civic! luv the sound of motor. btw what kind of numbskull puts KDW2's on a atom? ive driven the original prototype supercharge k20-R atom that (burno?) in oregon took and reverse engineer for the larger and heavier usa built atoms. an i can tell you even with r-compound yoko 048 there is really no grip in that thing. its a great car in to run in an open airfield so jeremy clarkson doesnt hit anything...lol. it has a lot more potential once someone dial in the chasiss for track use imo.

would luv to cya out there but i just go back once in awhile to visit family

dk mura

the switchbacks (turn 5A?) rule... going down there with the trees converging really give a sensation of speed and to hustle the car rally style in the switchbacks to rotate the car to get it point correctly.... then get slammed down through the compression chamber. cressing the hill the car get light a floaty driting wide to a difficult trail braking zone...wow its a really memorable.... man talking about it make me want to go back!

reminds me of going in to launch the proton torpedoes in the death star trenches then bailing out... it pretty unique section of the track.

there a much better tracks in middle america than socal. grattan is great little unknown track near chicago. its configured like donnigton and looks a lot like it with its serene beauty. tons of tracks in that area that dont get much exposure. road america, mid ohio, waterford, gingerman, blackhawk, nelson ledges, mosport etc... and im sure ive left out a bunch. i regret not doing mid-ohio, road america and mosport when i was there.

warmilk

yea that phil hill... yea that ring.

get this when i last drove there it was about $20 bucks a lap. i did 3 laps witch is about 40 miles. there no track marshals or tech need for the car. much like paying to get into an unattended parking lot here in the states, u put your money in to a vending machine and is spits you out a ticket for the gate. then your off to one of the most majestic places on earth. it should be the 8th wonder of the world imo..lol. the first time i was there the track was close because they where scrapping a motorcyclist off the gaurd rail.

if your in seattle and kent is 30mins drive id be dissapointed if you dont try it. i drove 2500 mile round trip to get up there and it was well worth it...

cheers

all

Last edited by dome P 2; 11-13-2008 at 11:36 AM.