Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Good Aftermarket Tuning Shops in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Mercuttio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Aftermarket Tuning Shops in Seattle

ANy have any recommendation. I'd like some professionals to help with my car.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Pat1USMC

I'd also like to know, since i'll be moving to that area soon! (Whidbey Island...not exactly close, but i'll be willing to drive somewhere if the service is good)
Old 09-09-2003, 06:35 PM
johnlotusboy

I don't care to have a shop blindly work on my cars. So I do all the work myself and have for over 20 years. I would be glad to assist you, but I am not a shop for hire and you would do some of the work with my help. (and buy the beer afterwords)
I auto-x and have done an AEM intake, Borla Exhaust, springs/swaybars, braided stainless brake hose, brake pads, grounding kit and stereo work (ripped apart the whole interior).
This is not my first car to really rip into and modify, the list is long: BMW's, Lotus, MR2, Miata.
Send me a PM and I would love to help out another car nut. It is fun to work on cars and BS.

P.S. If I can't help you I can steer you to the right person.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Mercuttio

That would be awesome!

I really want to learn more about this great car and any help would be appreciated!

I making a list of the mods to save for and help pn the best things would be great! I'll PM you with my email and we can go from there.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
tanakaZ

hey johnlotusboy,
Where do you do your work? Own garage (as in home garage)? If so, how do you get under your car? Or do you have access to a lift somewhere?

I love working on my car, but this baby is just too low to get under. Ramps aren't really an option either since the front facia would still hit the ramps.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:27 AM
johnlotusboy

I do my work at home since you can't even use a lift with my new suspension and the body kit on the car. I have two 2" thick bricks i drive the front tires up on to, then my floor jack fits under the nose to the front cross member, then it jackstands time.
The rear is easy you just use the diff. housing to jack it up from.
I have air tools. If I don't have it a near by relative is a retired machinist and he gave me the keys to his full machine shop that we can fabricate anything I need. (horizontal/vertical mill, lathe )
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
tanakaZ

what would really be nice is to have a wherehouse like building with several stalls containing lifts and the general public would be allowed to "rent" a stall on an hourly basis. The wherehouse would have a store that sold tools, etc.
Back home, they had this on the local military base.

Hmm. Good business to open around here? Or is there one around here already?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tanakaZ,

It's funny that you should mention that concept of a "rentable garage for autowork". Back in school a few friends and I bounced that idea around (Mini Baja and Formula SAE teams). We came the conclusion that there is just too much liablity which would make it prohibitively expensive to manage. There's no way of keeping some guy from commiting some really messed up accident like loosing his fingers, setting the place on fire, dropping a car on his foot or something far worse. There might be some type of business model(s) out there that operate under the same premise and it'd be interesting to see how they manage costs and deal with the liability issues.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:26 PM
tanakaZ

The only place I've seen this was on a military base. Guess that's how they get around liability.

Besides fires, I'm sure you can get around lift issues. Only allow employees to operate the hydrolics.

There are plenty of other issues, of course, but damn. Seems like a lot of $$$ to be made.