Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

PGP Lapping day!! 3/24

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ 1.17.6X was my fastest last year. Since then the biggest mod was I've switched to R-comps, NT01's.

Nah, there was this other guy in a gutted and caged track purpose built Z, not a forum regular. He was fast but he didn't have a transponder to verify his times.

The Z's always do well at PGP as long as the brakes can handle the heat. I was actually able to get the fastest timed lap for the AM session (didn't stick around for the PM), might have been the fastest time of the day.

I'm thinking an aggressive clutch type LSD+lightened flywheel would be nearly as effective as the switch to R-Comps. 1:12.XX might be possible for my Z w/ a couple more mods. 1:11.XX is pretty much the recognized track record. There has to be a Z setup well enough locally to break it. I lack the necessary funds and commitment to build up my car like that.

Last edited by drivesolo; 03-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought it'd be the tires... you gotta break that record and prove that z's are faster than s2k's!

if only peter still had his z... I'm sure he's Z would have what it takes to break the record.

unfortunatly i went the same way as him and sold mine (but bought an is350 instead of a miata...)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
killa.beez33

Man, if my car wasn't in such bad condition I wish I could've gone. How was it?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
warmmilk

lol, if i had a nickle for every time i heard that excuse...

its a lapping day, not a car show...
Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by warmmilk
i thought it'd be the tires... you gotta break that record and prove that z's are faster than s2k's!

if only peter still had his z... I'm sure he's Z would have what it takes to break the record.

unfortunatly i went the same way as him and sold mine (but bought an is350 instead of a miata...)
IDK... Peter and I have been talking about it and the biggest problem that holds the Z back from having reliable potential at PGP are the OEM non-brembo brakes. You were right in your plans to upgrade to a BBK, I've had to come up w/ a lot of tricks to mitigate the lack of capacity for these brakes but it seems like a loosing battle. For every half second I gain the brakes need more capacity. Project Mu HC+ pads front & rear, Modul RBF600, I run a more conservative line to omit 2 smaller braking points, I've even built a ghetto cooling system for while my car is in the pits. Peter had an '05 w/ the really small rotors, Outside of his out lap, he'd probably only get only one maybe 2 laps in his first session before his brakes were done. But he IS good at being fast right out of the gate so who knows?

We're gonna build ducting for my car, hopefully have it done by next month and see if that does the trick before calling it quits and just accepting it as such or manning-up and buy a BBK.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
killa.beez33

lol, if i had a nickle for every time i heard that excuse...

its a lapping day, not a car show...
Well, my rear camber arm = bent. Rear tires = almost gone. Now my rear diff is acting up.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
350LowLife

Originally Posted by killa.beez33
Well, my rear camber arm = bent. Rear tires = almost gone. Now my rear diff is acting up.
But that front bumper more than makes up for everything else that's broken on your car....you should have went anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by drivesolo
IDK... Peter and I have been talking about it and the biggest problem that holds the Z back from having reliable potential at PGP are the OEM non-brembo brakes. You were right in your plans to upgrade to a BBK, I've had to come up w/ a lot of tricks to mitigate the lack of capacity for these brakes but it seems like a loosing battle. For every half second I gain the brakes need more capacity. Project Mu HC+ pads front & rear, Modul RBF600, I run a more conservative line to omit 2 smaller braking points, I've even built a ghetto cooling system for while my car is in the pits. Peter had an '05 w/ the really small rotors, Outside of his out lap, he'd probably only get only one maybe 2 laps in his first session before his brakes were done. But he IS good at being fast right out of the gate so who knows?

We're gonna build ducting for my car, hopefully have it done by next month and see if that does the trick before calling it quits and just accepting it as such or manning-up and buy a BBK.
brakes, always the brakes...

if he took a couple of sessions to get used to the car on that track, then takes the first lap easy to get tires up to temp, then go for the record then, he may be able to do it...

i hear pdx_racer is pretty good, so maybe he'll put a dent into it. but then again, he does have an 05 also with the small brakes, and stock other than tires...

whats this ghetto cooling system you put together? fans on each wheel? i took my car on a cool down trip down highway 18 to the black diamond exit, then turned around and came back, trying to use as little brakes as possible. it helped a bit, but the most i've done without my brakes fading i think was 6 laps...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
warmmilk

you posted this up almost 3 weeks ago, more than enough time to fix those...

whats wrong with your diff, how's it acting up?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 PM
killa.beez33

you posted this up almost 3 weeks ago, more than enough time to fix those...

whats wrong with your diff, how's it acting up?
no job = no money.

I don't know, maybe I was tripping. It felt like it was grinding, and kind of made grinding/clanking noises when I would step on the gas through 2.5k-4k rpm range. And when I'm drifting, it'll not lock and work like an LSD at random times.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM
warmmilk

no job = no money.

I don't know, maybe I was tripping. It felt like it was grinding, and kind of made grinding/clanking noises when I would step on the gas through 2.5k-4k rpm range. And when I'm drifting, it'll not lock and work like an LSD at random times.
well that will do the trick...

about the lsd, idk about the grinding or whatever, but if you have the oem so called lsd, the viscous fluid wears out and it stops working. basically an oem lsd is pretty much useless after about 5-10k. so if thats the only problem, then there is nothing wrong with it, thats just the way the oem lsd is...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
350LowLife

well that will do the trick...

about the lsd, idk about the grinding or whatever, but if you have the oem so called lsd, the viscous fluid wears out and it stops working. basically an oem lsd is pretty much useless after about 5-10k. so if thats the only problem, then there is nothing wrong with it, thats just the way the oem lsd is...
so is this fluid issue the same with the VLSD? Would changing the fluid to something else other than factory fluid be recommended? If so, what do you suggest?
as you can tell in my sig I have an '07 Ent.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
warmmilk

The fluid that you can change is the gear oil for the final drive, it goes inside the diff housing. The viscous fluid in the LSD is sealed inside the diff, you can't change it.

Last edited by warmmilk; 03-25-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 AM
drivesolo

brakes, always the brakes...

if he took a couple of sessions to get used to the car on that track, then takes the first lap easy to get tires up to temp, then go for the record then, he may be able to do it...
He's been going to all the events I've gone to this year. He only missed this last one since he sold the Miata the day before. Not to happy that I was faster than him by more than a second at PGP ,so he's got another plan in the works for later this year. PM/e-mail him for details. If it doesn't work I may suggest to him to just get a 370Z. To reiterate: the Z's, even in stock form, seem to be faster than one would expect around PGP, as long as it can over come the brake heat limitations.

whats this ghetto cooling system you put together? fans on each wheel? i took my car on a cool down trip down highway 18 to the black diamond exit, then turned around and came back, trying to use as little brakes as possible. it helped a bit, but the most i've done without my brakes fading i think was 6 laps...
I could make it through my first session w/o any fade w/ the stuff I have now. The problem is every session afterwards. I took a queue from Formula 1, I built a forced air blower out of a battery powered leaf blower, wire, duct tape and 3" dryer hose. After my session I hook it up to the front of the car and blow ambient air onto the calipers and rotors. Works great. I guess you can call it a Ghetto Cooling Device (GCD )

I wouldn't be able to continue much beyond my first session w/o it. When I was still on All-seasons running 1:16.61 the measurement of my temps of the front were about 500F coming right off the track after my 1st session, starting off at ambient temp. Would cool down to about 300F in 30 minutes before having to get ready for my 2nd session. Now w/ R comps running 1:14.74, coming off the track after the first session the fronts were around 560F but I could cool them down to about 120F in the same amount of time thanks to the GCD.

I'd head out and go for a drive but w/ hot R-Comps, going through the gravel area is just asking for trouble. I might consider it w/ street tires, but not w/ the NT01's when they're hot.

Last edited by drivesolo; 03-26-2010 at 08:08 AM.