Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Dominican University of California?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by monokuroboo
몰라~ mom's really against me going to texas because she lived there for a while and apparently she didn't like it at first. x__x' she wants me either in California, Minnesota, or Massachusetts. you read my facebook note... if I go out of state to visit colleges, she says I gotta pay for it all on my own. (plane, hotel, food, ect.) and if I go to an out of state college that's not in her selection of states...I get to pay it all when I get out of college. I stay in cali/minn/mass, she pays. arghhh. 짜증나 죽겠어!!!!!!!
그렇다고 니가 앞으로 갈 길을 부모님이 다 정해주실수 있는건 아니잖아. 니가 잘 생각해봐서 옳다고 생각되는걸로 해. 텍사스 오게 되면 말해주고..

Originally Posted by jondimellow
im korean but i dun know what those korean words mean.... what do they mean?
Are you serious..? I'm guessing you don't know much Korean, if any?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
그렇다고 니가 앞으로 갈 길을 부모님이 다 정해주실수 있는건 아니잖아. 니가 잘 생각해봐서 옳다고 생각되는걸로 해. 텍사스 오게 되면 말해주고..

Are you serious..? I'm guessing you don't know much Korean, if any?
아랐어 =) 이번 보흠 방학에서는 못가도 여름떼도 갈라고 할께 =) 돈 좀모으고.. ㅠ__ㅠ"
Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
jondimellow

basically i wanna know how to write bad words so i can use them on my friends.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Originally Posted by jondimellow
basically i wanna know how to write bad words so i can use them on my friends.
are you sure you're korean?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

아랐어 =) 이번 보흠 방학에서는 못가도 여름떼도 갈라고 할께 =) 돈 좀모으고.. ㅠ__ㅠ"
You aren't too great yourself.. jk
Old 03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

You aren't too great yourself.. jk
할아버지...계속 이를거야!?!?!?!? >:[
I'm no fob >___>" 근대 나 seriously 한글 spelling is 순 엉터리 ㅋㅋㅋ~
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

할아버지...계속 이를거야!?!?!?!? >:[
I'm no fob >___>" 근대 나 seriously 한글 spelling is 순 엉터리 ㅋㅋㅋ~
I'm no fob, but I'm not white washed, neither. And I said I was kidding! haha Sorry.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:05 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

I'm no fob, but I'm not white washed, neither. And I said I was kidding! haha Sorry.
ughhh. always, you+me= crazy off topicking. like the hotchkis springs thread.
할아버지 나가!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

You only get a break with State schools.. so UT, A&M, Tech, etc are the ones you are automatically accepted to. With private schools, like Austin College, Baylor, SMU, etc, that's not possible.

And as far as going to a community college for a year then transfering, that all depends on what you want to do. If you're on a strict program like the pre-med program, you can't afford to lose a year doing basic courses.

IMO The University of Texas is the best all around school in our state for under grad both in curriculum and in price. Engineering, Business, CS, Architecture, ...etc you name it. As far as pre med, how are you loosing any time by going to CC your first year? You start out with your basic Bio I and II anyways no matter where you go. Pre med program is nothing more than a Biology degree your first 2 years. I don't know how your school does it but labeling your under grad program with whatever status doesn't mean jack squat. What your grades are at the end or what University program you were in doesn't improve your chances in getting into med school if your MCAT scores are not good enough. That's my 2 cents. I'll let you two get back to your conversation in Korean.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
how are you loosing any time by going to CC your first year?.
I don't know about that, but I know that I'd be losing a place to stay, and people to call "mom and dad". But before losing that, I'd probably lose my ability to walk as my mom would beat the living daylights out of me for wasting her life and killing her reputation in the korean community. x__x" so...yeah... I think I'd rather stay away from that option.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** off mom, tell her you are joining the Army so they pay for school
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I don't know about that, but I know that I'd be losing a place to stay, and people to call "mom and dad". But before losing that, I'd probably lose my ability to walk as my mom would beat the living daylights out of me for wasting her life and killing her reputation in the korean community. x__x" so...yeah... I think I'd rather stay away from that option.

I'm Asian so I know what kind of pissing contest parents go through with their friends and family. I guess how you go about this depends on what you are planning to do with your life. Have you decided on a major?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

IMO The University of Texas is the best all around school in our state for under grad both in curriculum and in price. Engineering, Business, CS, Architecture, ...etc you name it. As far as pre med, how are you loosing any time by going to CC your first year? You start out with your basic Bio I and II anyways no matter where you go. Pre med program is nothing more than a Biology degree your first 2 years. I don't know how your school does it but labeling your under grad program with whatever status doesn't mean jack squat. What your grades are at the end or what University program you were in doesn't improve your chances in getting into med school if your MCAT scores are not good enough. That's my 2 cents. I'll let you two get back to your conversation in Korean.
My bad. I wasn't thinking that you could take the basic bio and chem courses in CC. But either way, schools like Austin College and Baylor are known for their pre-med programs. The med school acceptance rate is higher than just state schools.

For example, Austin College, while a small liberal arts school, has an incoming freshmen population of about 350. Out of those 350, half are potential pre-meds. By the end of freshmen year, that number reduces by at least a third. Then as they take on more challenging courses, the number decreases time and time again. In the end, they only have about 20-30 pre-med students at graduation.

What I'm trying to get here is, while UT may be a good school all around, it certainly isn't the best. Austin College, loves to give away scholarships and grants to most students. We get money back every semester (I got $3600 back this semester). So with that in mind, if we have such challenging courses that can give you the edge over other students when applying to med schools and when taking MCAT, and we don't pay nearly as much as we should, isn't Austin College the better school for pre-meds?

Basically, in my opinion, not only do you have to look at the school as a whole, you also need to take into consideration the courses they offer, scholarships, the student life, etc.

I don't know why I'm writing an essay, but I'm done. I'm gonna go drive around.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I'm Asian so I know what kind of pissing contest parents go through with their friends and family. I guess how you go about this depends on what you are planning to do with your life. Have you decided on a major?
Don't we all know how asian parents get when it comes to education?

And as far as majors go, most people don't know what they'll major in. And even if they do, it'll most likely change when they actually experience different subjects. ****, I know mine changed.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Don't we all know how asian parents get when it comes to education?

And as far as majors go, most people don't know what they'll major in. And even if they do, it'll most likely change when they actually experience different subjects. ****, I know mine changed.

LOL well I guess that's why my parents were pissed at me. I took the SAT once. Applied to one school (UT). Declared CS my first semester. Graduated with a BS in CS. Worked for two year. Went back for my MS. I was a one way puck all the way. No Harvard or Yale for me. I could have gotten in to those schools with my SAT scores if I wasn't Asian. Affirmative action FTL!!! But whatever...my point is under grad on the grand scheme of things don't mean much. I've known people who went to John Hopkins who started out CC, then transfered to UNT, then JHU. Others have gone on to other good quality schools. With pre med you have to do well in 3 areas. Your grades, MCAT, and your interview. My whole point to monokuroboo is this: having somebody fund your education is great but don't be afraid to be your own person and make decisions for yourself. There are several ways to get through school without mommy and daddy. At the end of the day, you are an adult now and it's your life not your parents. Choose the path that is right for you and don't get caught up in what your parents or their friends might think.

Edit: I loaned my way all through school. My parent didn't pay for a single penny after I turned 18 and I turned out just fine. Parents sometimes use $$ to control us because they think they know what is best for us. But at the end, if they truly love you and support you, it doesn't matter what you choose to do with your life as long as it's honest and respectable.

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 03-02-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Edit: I loaned my way all through school. My parent didn't pay for a single penny after I turned 18 and I turned out just fine. Parents sometimes use $$ to control us because they think they know what is best for us. But at the end, if they truly love you and support you, it doesn't matter what you choose to do with your life as long as it's honest and respectable.
yeah.... it's just that my mother/father's financial support for me is what reassures them that I'm stuck with them. and to a true asian parent, their love and support for you is something that is bound by what you do to boost their reputation; and it's your duty to reciprocate (is that even a word? LOL) their love and show your gratitutde by doing things that will boost their reputation (aka. get into a school that, no matter how beneficial or unbeneficial the educational enviroment will be to you, gives them bragging rights.)

응, 알아 chris... I'm still thinking about which college to visit... I dunno.... if I save up enough money by april. LOL. but theres no colleges in cali I wanna check out...but cali is where my mom freakkin wants me. well, she said straight out "austin college 생전 들어본적 도 없는대는 왜 이렇게 날리를 치냐 blah blah blah" <-- see, it's all about what school gives her fcking bragging rights, even though she denies it, and says she wants whats best for my education. =___=" speaking of norcal... I just realized few months ago, stanford sent me this thingy telling me to apply for their summerschool...write an essay....agh shct. I lost the paper... x___x" ohwell. LOL.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

yeah.... it's just that my mother/father's financial support for me is what reassures them that I'm stuck with them. and to a true asian parent, their love and support for you is something that is bound by what you do to boost their reputation; and it's your duty to reciprocate (is that even a word? LOL) their love and show your gratitutde by doing things that will boost their reputation (aka. get into a school that, no matter how beneficial or unbeneficial the educational enviroment will be to you, gives them bragging rights.)

응, 알아 chris... I'm still thinking about which college to visit... I dunno.... if I save up enough money by april. LOL. but theres no colleges in cali I wanna check out...but cali is where my mom freakkin wants me. well, she said straight out "austin college 생전 들어본적 도 없는대는 왜 이렇게 날리를 치냐 blah blah blah" <-- see, it's all about what school gives her fcking bragging rights, even though she denies it, and says she wants whats best for my education. =___=" speaking of norcal... I just realized few months ago, stanford sent me this thingy telling me to apply for their summerschool...write an essay....agh shct. I lost the paper... x___x" ohwell. LOL.
Ah I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'll work out at the end. You're going through what millions of asian kids go through each year. On a side note, if I had a shot at Sanford I would take it. The campus is freakin awesome. Thinking back I was too dumb to care in HS and all I wanted was to get the hell out of the house.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Ah I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'll work out at the end. You're going through what millions of asian kids go through each year. On a side note, if I had a shot at Stanford I would take it. The campus is freakin awesome. Thinking back I was too dumb to care in HS and all I wanted was to get the hell out of the house.
ehhh its for summerschool there... finally found the thing online...cuhs I lost the letter they sent me.
The essay, in 500-1000 words, for High School Summer College 2007 is: To learn to think is to learn to question. Discuss a matter you once thought you knew “for sure” that you have since learned to question.
great. waht did I once for sure know? that z's don't have ugly hoods? until I saw the 07?!?!?!?
HOLYSHVT. the application fee is non refundable $50. >:[
ugh....too much of a hassle to go through...and plus I didn't take my SAT yet. >___<" so yeah... and I might be in korea for this...bridge korea program thing during that time...

--edit.
okay, let's stop offtopicking and talking about stanford and stuff...this is making me super depressed. <-- worst asian ever....hahahha...man...the days when I was like the SUPER asian kid who wanted to go to Harvard... I thought that even Stanford was ehhhh, if I tried hard enough, I could do better than Stanford. Now I'm like..... Stanford is something I'll never even be close to. argh... how the hell did I end up so... f'ed up.

Last edited by monokuroboo; 03-02-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

HOLYSHVT. the application fee is non refundable $50. >:[

Now is a good time to hit up mommy and daddy. Summer programs are not that bad. It helps you during your application process...but yeah that essay sucks major ***. I'm so glad I'm out of school
Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Now is a good time to hit up mommy and daddy. Summer programs are not that bad. It helps you during your application process...but yeah that essay sucks major ***. I'm so glad I'm out of school
lol...do you know how many fights it took to get my mom to pay for my $41 SAT fee for may5?....

Quick Reply: Dominican University of California?