Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown
By GREG RISLING Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 06/20/2007 02:32:18 PM PDT

Sergio Zavala, 18, looks over his yellow 1993 Honda after his car was crushed... (AP Photo/Nick Ut)«12»RIALTO, Calif.—Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.
The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people—drivers and spectators—have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.
"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars—usually Hondas or Acuras—are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties—on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars—Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."

Sergio Zavala, 18, looks over his yellow 1993 Honda after his car was crushed at Ecology Auto Parts in Rialto, Calif., Wednesday, June 20, 2007. Six vehicles were destroyed in front of their owners Wednesday at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramps up enforcement this summer after illegal street racing is suspected or responsible for 13 deaths in Southern California since March. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)
Attached Thumbnails Cars crushed in street racing crackdown-20070620__crushedhotrods-1_gallery.jpg  
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Elohite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

repost :P

look in OT chris
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are those TE-37's on that yellow civic??? Those are hot!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Richy350Z

I posted a link with the video on other thread
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari"

Old 06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari"

Besides the corvette and ferrari claims, I have a real problem with this statement ^. The Y1 and USDM Si/GSR/Type-R trannies for the B16/18 series are geared to top you off at 135mph.

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 06-21-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Wait a minute, why was Sergio Zavala's car crushed (Yellow Civic)? Was he actually caught racing or was it just because he an illegally modded car? I know he admitted to racing but was he actually caught in the act? All it said was he was pulled over for a broken tail light & he was caught with illegal mods on his car so they then crushed it. Am I missing something here? If it was just the engine being a stolen item, I'd just take the damn engine out & keep the car!

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 06-21-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z

I thought anyone can beat a ferrari or corvette these days?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
I thought anyone can beat a ferrari or corvette these days?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

hahaha >>>>https://my350z.com/forum/entertainment/281123-police-crushing-street-racing-cars-video-inside.html
Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Z-T

Hilarious.
Crush away
Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Elohite

look in OT chris
Sorry, I quit going there last year, I should have checked.

Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
jondimellow

"That's my heart, my dream."

Does anyone find it funny?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Chineseguy

Originally Posted by Elohite

look in OT chris
Why you have to try to make Chris feel bad???
Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Elohite

Originally Posted by Chineseguy
Why you have to try to make Chris feel bad???
Why you gotta goto China and leave me
Old 06-22-2007, 12:43 AM
iNi_REALiZED

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Besides the corvette and ferrari claims, I have a real problem with this statement ^. The Y1 and USDM Si/GSR/Type-R trannies for the B16/18 series are geared to top you off at 135mph.

When I drove a swapped hatch in highschool, at 130mph I would be at about 7k RPM in 5th gear. If his horsepower claims are anywhere near true, I'd naturally assume he has a built motor. With that being said, if redlining at 8.5-9k it would be possible to get to 160mph. Whether or not I would go that fast in a hatchback is a different story.

BTW... *edit* Read the post incorrectly.

Last edited by iNi_REALiZED; 06-22-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 AM
iNi_REALiZED

*double post...
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Darshu

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
are those TE-37's on that yellow civic??? Those are hot!
But only on the rears. Fronts are steelies for teh supar drag traxion!@(!

also... I think they're actually Rota Grids
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Devil Z

Retarded pigs wasting tax dollars for "street racing" stings and investigations . . . . . . this country makes me sick sometimes.

Too bad we don't have this type of crap here in WA . . . I would seriously flip.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by iNi_REALiZED
When I drove a swapped hatch in highschool, at 130mph I would be at about 7k RPM in 5th gear. If his horsepower claims are anywhere near true, I'd naturally assume he has a built motor. With that being said, if redlining at 8.5-9k it would be possible to get to 160mph. Whether or not I would go that fast in a hatchback is a different story.

BTW... *edit* Read the post incorrectly.

Meeeh..well it's hard to tell what this kid really had but anything over 135 mph in a honda is certain death. I had a 95 EG hatch swap back in the days and even with good tires and a sound suspension I don't see how going near 160 mph on a public road in a civic and being alive to talk about it goes hand in hand. One slight bump on the road in these cars and you are done.

Quick Reply: Cars crushed in street racing crackdown