Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

base model vs entuasiast vs touring vs track

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
rhdek9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default base model vs entuasiast vs touring vs track

hello there,

sorry for the super noob question. i am actually considering on buying a 350z, but have not finalized my decision. i would like to know if you guys can tell me the "technical" difference between these different models. i'm more looking at the differences between the base model and the track model besides the obvious seats, stiffer spring rates, wheels and brakes. what i would like to know are the difference in sway bars, why is the 350z heavier and such and such. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Bolaz

Get ready to put the "flame suit" on, do a search and you will find all the explanations for your question
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Base model doesn't have an LSD or xenon headlights. The seats are all the same, but one model (touring?) only comes in leather (IIRC). The track model has the Brembos rotors, calipers, and pads, and comes with a horrible stereo.

What year(s) are you looking at? New or used?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Key Lago

Don't count out the Grand Touring. Although I wasn't looking for a Grand Touring, I found a used '06 w/10k miles that an older gentleman wanted to get rid of at a huge loss. It was always garaged, never wrecked and near perfect with the exception of some minor rock chips in the front. It seemed too good to be true. If you're going to buy used, be sure to pull a "car fax" report. I was happy to find that the report coincided with the seller's words. Also, if it has less than 36,000 miles, it's still under warranty. Check cars.com and maybe even craigslist.com.

Regarding your original question:

1. They all have the same motor (of course that just changed for the '07s).
2. The base & track only come with a manual transmission. The enthusist, touring and grand touring can optionally come with an automatic.
3. The base & I think the track only come with cloth interior and a single disc player with a lousy sound system. The enthusist, touring and grand touring have the option of upgrading to leather and a 6 disc Bose system. I'm not sure which models have the option of the factory navigation system.
4. The track and grand touring come with a rear spoiler, under body diffusers, Brembo brakes, 19" rear & 18" front Rays Eng wheels, and I'm not sure what else.

There's probably more details that you can find out simply by going to NissanUSA.com or going down to your local Nissan dealer.

Hope this helps. Hope you get a great Z.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

WwW.NiSsAnUsA.cOm
Old 07-25-2007, 04:45 PM
mcowger

Originally Posted by scotts300
Base model doesn't have an LSD or xenon headlights. The seats are all the same, but one model (touring?) only comes in leather (IIRC). The track model has the Brembos rotors, calipers, and pads, and comes with a horrible stereo.

What year(s) are you looking at? New or used?
Wow - you need to do some research on recent models. Since MY2006, all models include HIDs. Both GT and Touring come with leather. There is no track model for 2007, and now the only way to get brembos in in the GT model. 2006 track models also have brembos. Only the base model does NOT have an LSD.

Besides the wheels, brakes, LSD, body stuff (on GT) and leather/navi/sound type stuff, they are all the same. No differences in anything that REALLY matters (suspension, swaybars, etc). The extra weight comes from stuff like the bose system, leather, LSD, etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
rhdek9

Originally Posted by mcowger
Wow - you need to do some research on recent models. Since MY2006, all models include HIDs. Both GT and Touring come with leather. There is no track model for 2007, and now the only way to get brembos in in the GT model. 2006 track models also have brembos. Only the base model does NOT have an LSD.

Besides the wheels, brakes, LSD, body stuff (on GT) and leather/navi/sound type stuff, they are all the same. No differences in anything that REALLY matters (suspension, swaybars, etc). The extra weight comes from stuff like the bose system, leather, LSD, etc.

DING DING DING
thank you so much! exactly the answers that i was looking for. sorry for the new thread, not used to this forum yet hehehe
i was a bit shocked when i read about the base model not having HID's as standard? are there any years that didn't come with HID'S? and no lsd? hmm...has any base model guys ever been bothered by this? if i do get one, it will be my daily driver and "might" see some spirited canyon runs, but nothing crazy and will not see track at all (except maybe the pit area/parking lot), i have a car for those purposes. you guys have been helpful thus far.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for 07 models, but all 2006 Z's came with Bi-Xenon headlights(high and low beam). So if you're looking for a Z with HID but now LSD than a06 is the way to go. For weight, the Base models are gonna be the lightest. And for a daily driven Z, be prepared to have lots of rock chips, i DD my z and travel 45miles a day so my front bumper is pretty F***ed up, but hey i rather drive around with rock chips on my bumper than have a bra on.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget, Base models don't have cruise control nor do they have dash-mounted radio controls...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
chriskabobbers

lol dude come on ... nissan has a website.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Kevins350z

Originally Posted by z32-z33
I can't speak for 07 models, but all 2006 Z's came with Bi-Xenon headlights(high and low beam). So if you're looking for a Z with HID but now LSD than a06 is the way to go. For weight, the Base models are gonna be the lightest. And for a daily driven Z, be prepared to have lots of rock chips, i DD my z and travel 45miles a day so my front bumper is pretty F***ed up, but hey i rather drive around with rock chips on my bumper than have a bra on.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
rhdek9

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
lol dude come on ... nissan has a website.

yes, i've read the website and all, but i wanted to see if all the differences were pretty just what they say or if there were more. kind of like how the integra gsr vs integra type r were back in the days. u couldn't find any information on the acura website about the difference between spring rates and that the rear sway bars were 22mm on the itr vs 16mm on the gsr (i think) and how the type r had no sounds deadening and all that other good stuff. thank you guys though, you guys have helped me out and got the information that i needed. i have this one 350z in mind, but i don't wanna jinx it, so until i do actually purchase it, i will keep it for myself for now.
mcowger

Originally Posted by rhdek9
DING DING DING
thank you so much! exactly the answers that i was looking for. sorry for the new thread, not used to this forum yet hehehe
i was a bit shocked when i read about the base model not having HID's as standard? are there any years that didn't come with HID'S? and no lsd? hmm...has any base model guys ever been bothered by this? if i do get one, it will be my daily driver and "might" see some spirited canyon runs, but nothing crazy and will not see track at all (except maybe the pit area/parking lot), i have a car for those purposes. you guys have been helpful thus far.
03-05 base models did not have HID.

No LSD doesn't bother me - I specifically bought the base model KNOWING I would be replacing the LSD with a Quaife and the brakes as well, and that its the lightest - though for me I drive it once a week for fun (track and sometimes ot napa - I take the bus to work) If you will never see a track and only occasional canyon runs, a LSD probably wont really make a difference to you - I certainly dont see a big advantage when I'm not driving like a nut.

Also, base doesn't have traction control (in addition to the other stuff I mentioned above as well as the lack of cruise control (my only annoyance) and steering audio controls.

Last edited by mcowger; 07-25-2007 at 07:51 PM.
rhdek9

Originally Posted by z32-z33

i was actually thinking of getting a clear bra installed on it since it's gonna be daily driven. what do you guys think?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
rhdek9

Originally Posted by mcowger
03-05 base models did not have HID.

No LSD doesn't bother me - I specifically bought the base model KNOWING I would be replacing the LSD with a Quaife and the brakes as well. If you will never see a track and only occasional canyon runs, a LSD probably wont really make a difference to you.

sounds exactly like what i had planned to use the car for, regular streets and occational canyons. 03-05 base model, hid's not standard, got it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 PM
mcowger

i was actually thinking of getting a clear bra installed on it since it's gonna be daily driven. what do you guys think?

I am getting one installed even though its NOT DD! Esp. with my white car being parked on the street in the city every day.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting it Used or New?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 PM
rhdek9

it's definitely gonna be used. can't afford a brand new one right now...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM
rgtopz

it's definitely gonna be used. can't afford a brand new one right now...
There's a used nice showroom condition 03/ 350z track model for sale on craigslist.com. He lives just a mile away from me. Always garaged and never seen the rain. It's black ext. and black int. Fully loaded with everything and some upgrades. Only has about 12,000 or less. Check it out.

Quick Reply: base model vs entuasiast vs touring vs track