Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Mercedes Driving event incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless it was a messed up thing to say. He was pretty much talking down to you because you are a young Asian guy. How would someone feel if they said "If you ghost ride the whip, we're gonna leave you behind," is that racist? It's just a f***ed up thing to say, i hate ignorant people out there.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
junl350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
Just out of curiosity....saying someone is going to drift is racist? Didnt know that, maybe stereotypical, but racist I dont think so. Did you drive your Z to the event? Maybe he saw you drive up in the Z. Just a thought, but you know today people jump to the conclusion about racist for saying something stereotypical. I am not saying it was right of him to say this, but there could be a million different reasons it was said. Maybe the last guy who drove the car looked like you and drifted it...who knows.
saying something based on stereotype can be racist, sexist, ageist.... or just being ignorant..

Last edited by junl350z; 08-06-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by junl350z
saying something can be racist, sexist, ageist.... or just being ignorant..
What is your point? I never said saying something cant be those things.....I just dont think saying something about drifting is being racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racist

Definition of racism....what this guy did was stereotype the OP. Not that it is okay, but it is way different then racism. That was my point.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
junl350z

What is your point? I never said saying something cant be those things.....I just dont think saying something about drifting is being racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racist

Definition of racism....what this guy did was stereotype the OP. Not that it is okay, but it is way different then racism. That was my point.
my bad on my typo ....stereotyping based on race is a racism....
Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Navygolf13

my bad on my typo ....stereotyping based on race is a racism....
You are sorely mistaken if you think steroetyping is racism. Stereotyping is putting someone into a group based on the way they look, it is not necessarily based on race. Basically stereotyping is your first impression of someone. We all do it consciously or subconsciously....it is human nature. When you meet someone you automatically have a notion of who they are based on what they wear, what they drive, how they speak, how they carry themselves. The difference is that a racist doesnt change his mind no matter what happens from there on out. If someone changes their opinion based on their interactions with the person then they are no tracist.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity....saying someone is going to drift is racist? Didnt know that, maybe stereotypical, but racist I dont think so. Did you drive your Z to the event? Maybe he saw you drive up in the Z. Just a thought, but you know today people jump to the conclusion about racist for saying something stereotypical. I am not saying it was right of him to say this, but there could be a million different reasons it was said. Maybe the last guy who drove the car looked like you and drifted it...who knows.

+1

I was wondering how far I would have to scroll down till somebody realized the difference between racist and stereotypes.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
junl350z

just my opinion, here are some example of 1st impressions that can be construed as being "racist" since it is based on race...

- Chinese = "He must know karate"
- African American = "Likes Fried chicken..."
- Native American = "Drunk"

- Blonde chick = Dumb... - not racist but a stereotype...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you talking about?? It's a fact blondes are dumb. They did a whole thing about it on 60 minutes last month!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
chriskabobbers

Originally Posted by Chad68
What are you talking about?? It's a fact blondes are dumb. They did a whole thing about it on 60 minutes last month!
really? i wanna watch it ...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Jabdo233

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my opinion, here are some example of 1st impressions that can be construed as being "racist" since it is based on race...

don't forget about indian people and programming lol.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Navygolf13

Those are perfect stereotypes, like I said the difference is when you leave them in that stereotype after you know them and know they dont fit. Bottom line the guy at the Mercedes Driving Event shouldnt have said what he did, but at the same time it is not racist.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM
vaughn1576

Those are perfect stereotypes, like I said the difference is when you leave them in that stereotype after you know them and know they dont fit. Bottom line the guy at the Mercedes Driving Event shouldnt have said what he did, but at the same time it is not racist.
Racism is acting on a stereotype, which is what the Mecedes guy did at that event. It was racism in subtle form and you can see the pain it has caused... well maybe you can't see it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by vaughn1576
Racism is acting on a stereotype, which is what the Mecedes guy did at that event. It was racism in subtle form and you can see the pain it has caused... well maybe you can't see it.
Racism has nothing to do with how people act and what they do, again here is the link for the definition of racism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Check it out. It doesnt say anything about what people do, that is a stereotype. Racism is based on what a "race" is capable of accomplishing in life due to constriants of what they are able to do or that a certain race is superior. Whether asians drift or black people eat fried chicken, or any other steroetype we have of a certain race is not racism it is merely an activity that has been associated with that race. Too bad if you cant understand that.....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
tommyjeans214

sorry to hear that vince.

why were you at benz anyways? its for old hokey people (as you can see).

write to benz corp and the event coordinators...maybe a long shot but better then doing nothing.

big corps are always big on their employees representing themselves, the company and the brand in a professional manner. if they hear someone acting like a ****, they may do something about it, especially at events like this.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 AM
tommyjeans214

if that doesnt work, we should ALL go to the next event and drive the **** out of their cars

damn us squinty (spelling) eye devils .
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
chriskabobbers

mercedes is known for all their services, and how they treat their customers, so the way that this guy acted was unacceptable.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
vaughn1576

Racism has nothing to do with how people act and what they do, again here is the link for the definition of racism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Check it out. It doesnt say anything about what people do, that is a stereotype. Racism is based on what a "race" is capable of accomplishing in life due to constriants of what they are able to do or that a certain race is superior. Whether asians drift or black people eat fried chicken, or any other steroetype we have of a certain race is not racism it is merely an activity that has been associated with that race. Too bad if you cant understand that.....
Racism is treating someone differently because of race, which is what happened. It's just that simple. Use semantics all you want to negate his experience as you seem to want to minimize everything anyone experiences (like in your endless defense of VRT), but it was definitely racism.

Oh... and if you need Wikepedia to tell you what racism is, then maybe you shouldn't be talking about it. It's really a common sense thing.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by vaughn1576
Racism is treating someone differently because of race, which is what happened. It's just that simple. Use semantics all you want to negate his experience as you seem to want to minimize everything anyone experiences (like in your endless defense of VRT), but it was definitely racism.

Oh... and if you need Wikepedia to tell you what racism is, then maybe you shouldn't be talking about it. It's really a common sense thing.
I am not using semantics to neagate what happened. I am using the definition of racism to determine what happened. You say he was treated differently...he was allowed to drive the car right? He was asked if he was going to drift it. From where I sit it is a fair question to ask anyone, they were driving MB cars that were not theirs. I just went to a Lexus driving event and they told us the same kind of things.....i.e. keep it on the course, dont lock the wheels, etc. It is a driving event for Gods sake and people drive the crap out of the cars and he made sure the driver knew what was allowed and what wasnt. Did he do it in the best way he could, NO!! However it does not make what he said racist.

You can compare this to VRT if you want, but again here I am not sticking up for anyone....I am trying to make you people realize that the actions however right or wrong were not RACIST! Bottomw line, I have said a few times that it was not the right thing to say, however, it does not make it racist.

As for using Wikepedia to define racism, I was doing it for you along with the rest of people here who dont understand the meaning of the word. I knew it was not racism and you did not understand that so I thought I would show you the definition.....did you take a look at it? Because if you did you would now know the definition of racism....
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
michaeljr6

why BMW > benz
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
vaughn1576

I am not using semantics to neagate what happened. I am using the definition of racism to determine what happened. You say he was treated differently...he was allowed to drive the car right? He was asked if he was going to drift it. From where I sit it is a fair question to ask anyone, they were driving MB cars that were not theirs. I just went to a Lexus driving event and they told us the same kind of things.....i.e. keep it on the course, dont lock the wheels, etc. It is a driving event for Gods sake and people drive the crap out of the cars and he made sure the driver knew what was allowed and what wasnt. Did he do it in the best way he could, NO!! However it does not make what he said racist.

You can compare this to VRT if you want, but again here I am not sticking up for anyone....I am trying to make you people realize that the actions however right or wrong were not RACIST! Bottomw line, I have said a few times that it was not the right thing to say, however, it does not make it racist.

As for using Wikepedia to define racism, I was doing it for you along with the rest of people here who dont understand the meaning of the word. I knew it was not racism and you did not understand that so I thought I would show you the definition.....did you take a look at it? Because if you did you would now know the definition of racism....
You're a pretty sad dude... That's all I can say.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Driving event incident