Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

This the season for Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 AM
dome P 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveh
Packed and ready to go. See ya'll in the morning!
DaveH

???

are you gonna show up for the speedventures event on Feb 2nd?

it would be great to get some tips from you of the track... i only driven seca in a minivan.

you run nasa events? do u know if kojima is showing up?

the alignment spec i got from mike and my rears have abnormal wear on the outter edges. Im not sure if i wrote his specs down correctly. what alignment specs are you running on your Z? anything you can recommend for street/track set up? Im planning to do realign my car this weekend any suggestions will be apprieciated

cheers

dp2
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
dnguyent

Turned out to be a fantastic weekend. Sunny and in the 60's Saturday. Sunday was quite the opposite, but it was still fun nonetheless. I did not have any problems with sound for the whole weekend, and I did not lift or short shift. So, Nismo exhaust, pop charger, Kinetix HF cats do fine at LS.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Turned out to be a fantastic weekend. Sunny and in the 60's Saturday. Sunday was quite the opposite, but it was still fun nonetheless. I did not have any problems with sound for the whole weekend, and I did not lift or short shift. So, Nismo exhaust, pop charger, Kinetix HF cats do fine at LS.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think you'd have a problem. My 300ZX is pretty loud at WOT at high RPM, and only registered 96.x dB.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
dome P 2

Originally Posted by dnguyent
great news....

sound like you have the same mods i have.

good to hear you had a blast and didnt have any issues

thanks for postin

dp2
Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM
alving

did anyone see this Porsche in HPDE4?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM
dome P 2

hi guys

i just got back from LS... barley passed the 92db limit with nismo, hi-flow cat and cone filter at 91db. I fabricated some ducting from home depot just in case. fortunately i didnt need them.

sensational track! it was my first time there and i got the smorges now.

i didnt get out in time for the 1st session. i ran 1:51 with r-compounds on my 2nd session. Pretty disappointed....wanted to break into the 40's but the traffic was pretty heavy in my next session and it rain on my last.

even with a hamfisted amature driver like myself, i think i had a shot of the 40's. a stock 05-07 350Z should have no problems breaking into the 40's with R-compounds with a guy that knows what hes doing behind the wheel

cant wait till the next time

anyone want to buy some rear exhaust sound deflectors for there Z?

cheers

d
Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
daveh

Mid 40's are doable with R-comps. Even with no brakes coming out of the corkscrew due to knockback

I'll be back again at the end of the month going for my 3rd straight dry day at laguna!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
dome P 2

daveh

debating whether to get some upper arms for more -chamber... in front, and dial in more at the rear too. I was surprise how "loose" the car was on turn 3 and 4. typically i just hammer on the throttle coming out to rotate the car to kill the understeer. I really had to "roll on" the throttle at those 2 corners. i wonder if my alignment is off on right handers or is that just the nature of the track? btw my rear 048's are kinda of toast too.

unfortunatly LS is so far from me.... id luv to run there regulary but thats most likely not gonna happen. maybe just an annual event for me at best.

its such a great track... rate right up there with my other favorites...the ring and gingerman

let us know what times your getting when you get back...

have a blast and be safe.

dp2

PS what r the scca T2 cars running at seca?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by dome P 2
T2 350z does it in the low 1:43's. Spec Miata in the 1:45's

Last edited by dnguyent; 02-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM
daveh

Upper arms are a great item for our cars. They will not reduce oversteer like you described above but will give you more front grip (and more oversteer). You'll need to take some tire temps to know exactly what you need for both the front and the rear. My driving style is not typically to 'hammer' out of the corners like you mentioned, but to roll it on to transfer the weight back gradually to get exit traction and settle the rear. I've got a clutch type lsd too which requires smooth throttle as the lockup ramps up. What is the rest of your setup?

Originally Posted by dome P 2
daveh

debating whether to get some upper arms for more -chamber... in front, and dial in more at the rear too. I was surprise how "loose" the car was on turn 3 and 4. typically i just hammer on the throttle coming out to rotate the car to kill the understeer. I really had to "roll on" the throttle at those 2 corners. i wonder if my alignment is off on right handers or is that just the nature of the track? btw my rear 048's are kinda of toast too.

unfortunatly LS is so far from me.... id luv to run there regulary but thats most likely not gonna happen. maybe just an annual event for me at best.

its such a great track... rate right up there with my other favorites...the ring and gingerman

let us know what times your getting when you get back...

have a blast and be safe.

dp2

Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
dome P 2

stock 04 except for exhaust and a intake cone that just makes more noise.

ive got max chamber..up front (only can get 1.4 neg and 1.6 max) and -2.1 in the rear . 048 R-comp 265F 285R 18. nismo suspension and bars. (on tight course like waterford, gingerman, streets etc.. i run with stock softer front bar) D2500 pads (didnt brake too deep in corner because i wanted to make it home).

i turn in pretty late because the Z is not really a momentum car but at LS i was taking more of mid apex going hot trying to use more of the fronts because of the excessive oversteer. i usually jump on the throttle to plant and settle the rear end coming out of the corners. typically the z feels great powering out of coners but had big traction problems at 3 and 4. this is the first time im trying to induce understeer in this car...rolling on the throttle sure helped as you mentioned. I do mostly mid speed tracks and "hustling" the cars around corners is pretty fun. Ive only done a few fast tracks with the Z, big willow and SIR where smoothness really helps. LS has a magical blend of mid speed corners and elevation change.

ive got 3 heat cycle on the 048's and the tow setting where jacked up at .31" each side wearing the outsides excessively in the rears. kojima says to run 8th of an inch tow in at the rears? ive redone them to 0.02 tow right before i went to LS but the tire where probably done by then. coned tires might be the source of the oversteer. it was a pretty cold day too in the low 40's F in the first couple of sessions.

the Z is my everyday car... i didnt feel like towing my race car up. its really spoiling me because it can torque around town when i dont feel like driving, sit on the grid in a +100 degree day at willow with the AC on or do D1 drifting day right before i get new treads. its an amazingly flexable car.

only thing is i wish it was lighter becuz it eats up tires and brake like no tomorrow.

next and final mods will probably a 3.9 gear and LSD. not sure which one to get. what type is your LSD? I hear if you run long stints with the nismo one a diff cooler is a must. its heats up excessively after 4 or 5 laps. does the tighter LSD with make you oversteer more after apex and understeer going in? what percentage do you have it set at?

it'll be great to bump into you at one of these track days to pick up some pointers and hopefully a ride

thanks for all the advice

dp2

Last edited by dome P 2; 02-07-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
daveh

You're asking me to give up all of my secrets.
I've got the nismo lsd and yes it will get pretty hot after 30 minutes or so, but I don't think that any damage is being done to the lsd. I have taken my diff apart after each season and everything looks brand new inside. I think the oils were just cavitating. After swithching to motul gear oil, I haven't had a problem with it.
(Putting on my instructor hat) I disagree that the Z is not a momentum car. Every car is a momentum car I run against a lot of mustangs and my Z is definately a momentum car in comparison.
I think you're lack of a good lsd is the first place to start. Perhaps your handling problems are stemming from that since it sounds like you are complaining about funny things happening at throttle app. The VLSD just does not react fast enough.
You should be ok with -2.1 rear camber. I like to run some toe-in in the rear and toe-out up front.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
dome P 2

i'll clear up my mailbox and you can PM me all those secrets....lol

its good to know you can run the LSD for an extended period without a cooler. i didnt want to got through added expense and complexity putting in and oil cooler

when compared to a mustang nearly everything is a momentum car...lol.
the Z is not elise or even a miata for that matter for carrying speed deep into corners. but for the big beast it is, its corners pretty well. im sure your driving abilities mask a lot of the cars short comings. the thing i like about the z's chassis gives you ample warning and its so forgiving at the limit makes it a real hoot to drive.

LSD and maybe a 3.9 will be my last mod. although its nice to have more power, i want to keep my daily driver motor stock. i can sure brush up on my driving skills first anyways.

cheers

dp2
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
S30ZT

Does anyone know if there are any events at laguna seca in early march? I'd like to sign up for one of the events at the end of Feb. but I think I may need a little more time to sort the car out.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by S30ZT
Does anyone know if there are any events at laguna seca in early march? I'd like to sign up for one of the events at the end of Feb. but I think I may need a little more time to sort the car out.

Mar 17: http://www.motorsportreg.com/calenda...859BA03A91FB04

Feb 25, Apr 7: http://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx

April 15: http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1

Feb 28: http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
daveh

If it's got 4 tires, it's sorted
Come out and play. Hertz loans out 'sorted' cars too.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
S30ZT

Originally Posted by daveh
If it's got 4 tires, it's sorted
Come out and play. Hertz loans out 'sorted' cars too.
I hear ya. Every year I tell myself I'm gonna drive LS but never do. If get my new diff mount on I'll be out there. It will be my first time on any track BTW.

Do you know if you have to be a PCA member to participate in the Mar 17 event?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
dnguyent

I hear ya. Every year I tell myself I'm gonna drive LS but never do. If get my new diff mount on I'll be out there. It will be my first time on any track BTW.

For a first timer, go with what you got. Upgrades won't matter as the lack of skills and little knowledge of track layout will mask anything that would otherwise make the car go faster. seriously...just go stock.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 PM
dome P 2

if your in san jose...do it by all means

i drove a 1000 miles round trip from socal and it was totally worth it

im always pondering whens the next time i can get back there...its truly a majical place

dp2
Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how the hell did I miss this I live 20 minutes away arggg woe is me I've been on the wrong fourms.