Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Does anyone ride a fixed gear bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 AM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone ride a fixed gear bike?

I ride road bikes. My friends are starting to get into fixed gears. I'm just curious if anyone here rides fixed? If so, how are you knees? It seems like they put so much stress on your knees that eventually it will give you problems. Also do you guys know anyone selling an entry level fixie?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, I was just looking at http://www.fixedgeargallery.com for inspiration.

my buddy just picked up an 80's frame and built the thing in two days!

I have a picture somewhere of it. light blue motosecane frame with deep V multispokes wheelset. pic is too big and I don't feel like resizing

I can email you it if you really want though.

these bikes are super dangerous though... but so cool!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
I ride road bikes. My friends are starting to get into fixed gears. I'm just curious if anyone here rides fixed? If so, how are you knees? It seems like they put so much stress on your knees that eventually it will give you problems. Also do you guys know anyone selling an entry level fixie?

he picked up the frame for under 50 bucks. the wheels are always gonna be expensive, the wheels he got were 160 (very entry level) and 30 for the better tires (puncture resistent, etc)... the pedals, chain and bearings weren't much.

he found the frame on craigslist.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
o snap its eric

yeah i read that fixie conversions aren't as good as true fix frame geometry wise. I looked at a few on CL and most of the fixies that are being sold are 80's frame and i have no problem with it however they are asking for a couple hundreds!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Motormouth
Banned

F that. those are fully built bikes from what I have seen.

I mean, to equip a fixie is gonna cost you about 500 anyway, so if there is a bike you like around that, you can probably negotiate with them.

but frames you shuold be able to find from 50-100 or so for a bare frame (probably no fork, bearings, seat, etc.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
workseuge

i ride fixed...check out widsor the hour and mercier kilo tt for entry level bikes...around 300 for the whole bike shipped...also, check out velospace.org to get ideas when you start fixing it up! i guarantee you will get hooked, have fun!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
velomack

I would test it out first, they have attachment you can buy from colorado cyclist that transforms your road bike into a fixie. you would be relying on your skewers with road drop outs, but it cheaper than buying a fixie and deciding you dont like it. better yet go to the velodrome and take a track class and then decide
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM
velomack

I would test it out first, they have attachment you can buy from colorado cyclist that transforms your road bike into a fixie. you would be relying on your skewers with road drop outs, but it cheaper than buying a fixie and deciding you dont like it. better yet go to the velodrome and take a track class and then decide
Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by workseuge
i ride fixed...check out widsor the hour and mercier kilo tt for entry level bikes...around 300 for the whole bike shipped...also, check out velospace.org to get ideas when you start fixing it up! i guarantee you will get hooked, have fun!

boo building the bike is the best part
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
o snap its eric

i might pick up a mercier kilo tt. The parts on it is pretty basic, i'm looking to change the wheels, handle bar, seat, seat post. I really want to takeout the mercier logo too but i guess that wont happen unless i do a custom paint job. At that point i might as well upgrade my bike. ARGh!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
workseuge

Originally Posted by Motormouth
boo building the bike is the best part
i feel u. i built mine...i would never buy a built bike. he was just looking for an entry level bike
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
o snap its eric

just picked up the mercier. Stopping is hard. My right leg is beat just from a new minutes of practice braking. Any suggestions on braking (skidding)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
workseuge

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
just picked up the mercier. Stopping is hard. My right leg is beat just from a new minutes of practice braking. Any suggestions on braking (skidding)
you will get it...you just have to not be afraid to lean far forward to lock up one of your legs...u will get it
Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
WangZ808

i've been riding fixed gear bikes for 15 years now.. for road racing training, nothing beats a fix gear. you learn to pedal in circles (most beginners pedal in squares). by pedaling smoother you can go faster more efficiently. it's kind of funny to me that fixed gear bikes are getting so much coverage lately. all my friends that made fun of me for riding bikes, are coming to me asking me to build them fixies! (i was a professional bike mechanic for a couple of years)

Harris cyclery has all kinds of fixed gear stuff... fixed gear bikes sometimes require a few hard to find parts.. harris has them

I wouldn't buy a fixed gear bike, but then again, I have a garage full of bike parts and have no need to. the really cool thing about fixes is their simplicity. all you need is: wheels, frame, fork, headset, bottom bracket, stem, handlebars, seat post, seat, crank, front chain ring, rear cog, pedals, chain (and a fixed gear hub of course!)

the fixed gear hub is the hardest part of the whole process... you can buy a single speed hub and build a wheel out of it (most expensive) or buy a fixed gear conversion kit that turns a normal 8-9 speed hub into fixed (you will need a single rear cog for both these options)

to skid the rear requires some practice. try'em in the grass, or after it rains and the road is still wet... a lot of it is confidence, it feels like you're going to get launched the first couple of times, but you'll get the hang of it. clipless pedals helped me.

as far as fixed gear frames being different then other frames...? i have never heard of this. "track" specific bikes have a steeper head angle which makes them hyper responsive (something you want on a smooth velodrome, something you probably don't want riding to 7-11) but any bike can be turned into a fixed gear (i.e. mtn. bikes, cruisers)

have fun... watch out for stop signs lol
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
o snap its eric

thanks guys, my right leg (the one i use to push down) is really sore now. The other leg isnt that bad. Is that normal?

I'm not that tall but i swear my legs are too long for this kinda riding. I'm not able to fully lock my legs its always bent more than what i think is usual. I see my friends do it and it looks normal but when i do it seems like my legs aren't extended to lock at its more efficient angel.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Motormouth
Banned

your bike frame might be too tall... they have inseam size raitings, as well as positioning the seat, etc.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
o snap its eric

all this is so new to me. Road bikes are so much easier. I actually dont feel like the bikes frame is too tall but rather the length of the frame is too short. For what its worth when i stand up the clearance between my nuts and that horizontal bar is just an inch or so.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Motormouth
Banned

here is some automotive related bikery. sort of

darn, no embed FTL: DORIFTOO!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W060JFgDW-0
Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
jinsei888

bandwagon...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
mistertue

if u want to brake, place your family jewels on the handle bars and lock your legs back...hahah pretty much how u skid when you first start off, also toe clips help a lot.

like ppl have said entry level fixed gears, all built, and ready to go under $300 go to www.bikesdirect.com,

i got my first fixie there, it was awesome... here is a pic of latest my ride (the first one)

www.davisfixed.com

Last edited by mistertue; 03-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ride a fixed gear bike?