Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

out of state taxes at registration (car purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 AM
FlyingSquirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of state taxes at registration (car purchase)

1. Let's say I buy a used car out of state from a private party...when I register, do I have to pay taxes on the purchase?

2. Let's say I buy a used car out of state from a dealer....when I register, do I have the pay the taxes on the purchase?

Let's assume it's a used car with over 20k miles on it.

I've been in europe for the last 8 years and don't really know how things work back home.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Lances08Z

I live in Missouri and just bought my Z from a Dealer in Arkansas and I just had to pay Missouri State taxes on it.

You pay taxes only in the state you have it registered or thats the way they do it here.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 AM
FlyingSquirrel

Was that new or used?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Phreakdout

Some smaller dealers are not able to pay out of state taxes so you end up getting a temp tag from the dealer's state. (Drive it home) and then register in your own state.

The downside is the taxes are something you pay outside of the car loan unless you make arrangements for the lender to cut you a check to cover the taxes. Personally, I paid the 6% out of pocket. I hate financing taxes. It seems wrong.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you bring it and register it in CA, you will pay taxes on it.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
B5I8

I shipped my 350z from Hawaii to the bay area. It cost me around $1k for shipping and over $2k to register it here in Cali and they made me smog my car. My car was used with about 20k miles on it.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have to pay CA tax for your vehicle if you purchase it from out of state and try to register it here. They will also make you smog your vehicle if it a used (Titled before), regardless of year or mileage.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
gtstephenson

I bought my car in South Carolina. I had to pay Sales Tax in SC. Then I drove the car to CA. When I registered the car I had to pay CA Sales Tax however they did credit the amount I paid in the state of South Carolina. You will be required to show what you paid for the car and any sales tax you have already paid.

If you sell a car for a very small fee in the state of CA to another person in the state you may be in for a hassle. I sold an old car to my son. (An old Porsche). They didn't like the idea that I sold it for a small sum but since I sold it to my own son I did get away with that.

GT Stephenson
Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
Yes, you have to pay CA tax for your vehicle if you purchase it from out of state and try to register it here. They will also make you smog your vehicle if it a used (Titled before), regardless of year or mileage.
He summarized it best for you. The only good thing is that as someone else pointed out, California recognizes the amount you already paid to the state you bought the car in (if any) and will only charge you the difference based on your home address.

I purchased my brand new GT-R in Arizona, paid them about 7% in sales tax, brought the car back to San Francisco and had to pay to other 1.5% (since tax is about 8.5% here).

As TheFarmer pointed out though, they forced me to smog check the car even AFTER making me come to the DMV so they could inspect the car and note that it was a California SMOG legal car (it says so under the hood). Completely stupid.
As a matter of fact, no manufacturor expects a new car to be smogged so soon, so some of the GT-R technology was ahead of the current SMOG machines and they had to call the State so they would officially allow them to skip some of the test which the machine could not run on this new car. The SMOG test cost me $154...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
FlyingSquirrel

Thanks for the replies gents.

So, when buying from an out of state dealer you'll have to pay CA sales tax. Got it!

Didn't see anything about anyone buying from a private party (out of state). Anyone care to chime in specifically about out of state private party taxes....if any??

Totally forgot about smog...shouldn't be an issue though.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
Thanks for the replies gents.

So, when buying from an out of state dealer you'll have to pay CA sales tax. Got it!

Didn't see anything about anyone buying from a private party (out of state). Anyone care to chime in specifically about out of state private party taxes....if any??

Totally forgot about smog...shouldn't be an issue though.
When (if) you register and title it in CA, you pay tax on whatever the purchase amount says on the title.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Cali-Darkness
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Yellow Stealth
He summarized it best for you. The only good thing is that as someone else pointed out, California recognizes the amount you already paid to the state you bought the car in (if any) and will only charge you the difference based on your home address.

I purchased my brand new GT-R in Arizona, paid them about 7% in sales tax, brought the car back to San Francisco and had to pay to other 1.5% (since tax is about 8.5% here).

As TheFarmer pointed out though, they forced me to smog check the car even AFTER making me come to the DMV so they could inspect the car and note that it was a California SMOG legal car (it says so under the hood). Completely stupid.
As a matter of fact, no manufacturor expects a new car to be smogged so soon, so some of the GT-R technology was ahead of the current SMOG machines and they had to call the State so they would officially allow them to skip some of the test which the machine could not run on this new car. The SMOG test cost me $154...

So now that you smogged it, does this mean you are now forced to smog every 2 years? I know if I sell my car today the 5 year smog grace period is void and the new owner has to smog every 2 years.