Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Sonoma/Napa/Lake county drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:21 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Anna
But I WANTED you to hit it...
... then I could get it ALL fixed!!

jk
Anna wish I could have helped you out, but then I would be going to the body shop too

That fender looks like a hit and run to me....if you know what I mean.

Fowlman with the right front off the ground...

When I was younger I had a SCCA competition license and ran a formula Vee, so now it feels just like getting on the bicycle again. Except I'm no Paul Newman
Attached Thumbnails Sonoma/Napa/Lake county drive-walt_2-20-281-29.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 PM
neur0sis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man Walt, thats really awesome! Didn't know you had the race car heritage in ya!

Now I don't feel so bad that you and Jeremy pulled like eleventy bajillion car lengths ahead of me...

We definatly have to do this again soon folks. I had a blast!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:42 AM
fowlman01

Originally posted by neur0sis
Man Walt, thats really awesome! Didn't know you had the race car heritage in ya!

Now I don't feel so bad that you and Jeremy pulled like eleventy bajillion car lengths ahead of me...

We definatly have to do this again soon folks. I had a blast!
Jeremy and his STI corner like they are on a rail. Very smooth and flat. And......he stays in his lane, very impressive. I don't know how he got people to move over for us, it didn't look like he was riding their butts.

I was really happy with my tires, the hotter they got the better they stuck. A sway bar is going to pull it all together.

Doing it again sounds good to me.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Anna
350Z-holic

Originally posted by fowlman01
Anna wish I could have helped you out, but then I would be going to the body shop too

That fender looks like a hit and run to me....if you know what I mean.

Fowlman with the right front off the ground...

When I was younger I had a SCCA competition license and ran a formula Vee, so now it feels just like getting on the bicycle again. Except I'm no Paul Newman
Yeah, I know... two busted up Z's are worse than one

Hehe.. yeah.. it's looking more and more like a hit and run to me every day I look at it

Wow, ok... the mystery of your kick *** driving skills are revealed... no wonder why you kick butt on the road Walt! And to think I even TRIED to keep up, what was I thinking!

Last edited by Anna; 07-27-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeremy and his STI corner like they are on a rail. Very smooth and flat. And......he stays in his lane, very impressive. I don't know how he got people to move over for us, it didn't look like he was riding their butts.

I was really happy with my tires, the hotter they got the better they stuck. A sway bar is going to pull it all together.

Doing it again sounds good to me.
heh, actually I was a bit sloppy since my rotors had a pretty good warp going so I was tapping them quite a bit when I would have liked to be diving pretty deep into the corners. Just got them all turned down with Hawk pads so Im ready for our next thrash
Old 07-27-2004, 07:52 AM
fowlman01

Originally posted by krinkov
heh, actually I was a bit sloppy since my rotors had a pretty good warp going so I was tapping them quite a bit when I would have liked to be diving pretty deep into the corners. Just got them all turned down with Hawk pads so Im ready for our next thrash
That should help a bunch. I have been thinking of changing my rotors and pads, but the stock set up works very good under normal conditions. That kind of driving requires a better heat transfer than I have though. The stock Z (non-brembo) actually stops quicker than aftermarket brakes, but they heat up too fast.

I think I also want to add a big Azz tranny cooler though. I didn't heat up, but I don't want to fry the trans either.

Any suggestions.?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:57 AM
neur0sis

You know whats weird...

I wasn't on my brakes THAT often when we were driving around, but now my Hawk HPS's are squeeling like a ****.

My rotors look torn up. There are some pretty fat grooves in em (not just from the drive on Sat) ... and there is a weird LIP forming at the top of the rotor. Almost like the pads aren't covering all the area they should.

I think its time for a new set of GOOD rotors. Been thinking of that Stoptech/Nismo combo that Jason@Performance has. Two front Stoptech Rotors, Nismo Pads, and SS Brake Lines for ~$300
Old 07-27-2004, 08:30 AM
fowlman01

You know whats weird...

I wasn't on my brakes THAT often when we were driving around, but now my Hawk HPS's are squeeling like a ****.

My rotors look torn up. There are some pretty fat grooves in em (not just from the drive on Sat) ... and there is a weird LIP forming at the top of the rotor. Almost like the pads aren't covering all the area they should.

I think its time for a new set of GOOD rotors. Been thinking of that Stoptech/Nismo combo that Jason@Performance has. Two front Stoptech Rotors, Nismo Pads, and SS Brake Lines for ~$300
I didn't use the brakes much either, but I know if I had they would have started to fade.

That seems like a good price for a set of front rotors etc. Do the backs run about the same? I think I would get both ends.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:04 AM
neur0sis

I didn't use the brakes much either, but I know if I had they would have started to fade.

That seems like a good price for a set of front rotors etc. Do the backs run about the same? I think I would get both ends.
Hey Walt, I dug up the post that Jason has about the package deal, and then contacted him on AIM to make sure the special is still going on. They are a lil more than $300 ($375 + ship) but, still all in all not a bad deal.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=72671

(Looks like you posted in there before too) ...

I'll wait until I actually RECEIVE some of the mods I have ordered (waiting on Coilovers and Exhaust) ... but its something I have been thinking about in the near future.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
fowlman01

Hey Walt, I dug up the post that Jason has about the package deal, and then contacted him on AIM to make sure the special is still going on. They are a lil more than $300 ($375 + ship) but, still all in all not a bad deal.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=72671

(Looks like you posted in there before too) ...

I'll wait until I actually RECEIVE some of the mods I have ordered (waiting on Coilovers and Exhaust) ... but its something I have been thinking about in the near future.
Thanks, I remember now. I wanted to see the drilled disks and they did not have a pic at the time.

It is a good deal and I will probably get the drilled ones, but I want to wear out the stock ones first. I have to check them. Doing burnouts at the drags is probably raising hell with the back ones, so it might not be long.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

but now my Hawk HPS's are squeeling like a ****.
Mine made some noise during the run but not now. You had that problem before didn't you?

and there is a weird LIP forming at the top of the rotor.
That's caused by rotor wear and is natural. The pad rides below the edge of the rotor.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:30 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by zwindsor
Mine made some noise during the run but not now. You had that problem before didn't you?

That's caused by rotor wear and is natural. The pad rides below the edge of the rotor.
They were squeeling before, but it seemed to have subsided (after a few purposfully hard braking sessions ). Now, after the run, they squeek like crazy, even slowly inching into my parking space at the apartment. I tried a few hefty stops, to no avail this time.

The grove on the top is approaching about 1/16" inch, and there are several grooves in the center circles of the rotor that are deep enough to be visible from about 5 feet away.

Not too worried, since its just an annoyance. I can still stop like a ****. Im just giving myself more excuses to spend money The drilled stoptech's sure do LOOK nice
Old 07-27-2004, 02:00 PM
4myZ350

looks are nice but stopping is the idea! for under 500$ rotora has stock siZe front & rear slotted. i'll have to find my research on best front & best rear pads.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

The drilled Stoptech's sure do LOOK nice
I've been looking at those too. They're just one of those "luxury" items. If I were to buy new rotors I can't decide between slotted or drilled. Best price quoted was $410 shipped (either style)
Old 07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
fowlman01

Originally posted by krinkov
I noticed that you were not as deep in the corners after a lttle bit as you had been in the beginning and also realize that it is much harder to be the "hare". I was watching where you were going, so it made going fast for me easier.