Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Sonoma/Napa/Lake county drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by whatever
wish I can join, but I'm one of the vegas guys.... We will be there in spirit!!! Take lots of pics!!
I understand. I would have loved to do the Vegas thing, but I have been gone on too many trips the last few months. My place is starting to look like a jungle.

500 miles in a day is quite a bit hungster. Not bad if it is all on I-5 @ 130mph or so, but from Salinas I'm not sure I would be that dedicated either.

We will have other meets where it makes more sense for all or most of us to hit it at the same time. I still remember what it felt like to be part of a 22+ Z parade. Awesome!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 AM
hungster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i know, thanks for the offer, but most likely i wont be able to do it anyways, maybe next time. i know we r seting up another all car meet soon and i will post a thread on that when it happens
Old 07-13-2004, 02:23 PM
neur0sis

The only places I can think of to stop for lunch aren't until we get back into Healdsburg ... but I dunno if people want to wait until the end of the drive to eat. I mean, Im sure we can stop along the way to stretch our legs.

Definatly a good pic spot would be towards the end when we get near Lake Sonoma. Lotsa room in those parking lots, usually... get some good group shots.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:48 PM
fowlman01

Originally posted by neur0sis
The only places I can think of to stop for lunch aren't until we get back into Healdsburg ... but I dunno if people want to wait until the end of the drive to eat. I mean, Im sure we can stop along the way to stretch our legs.

Definatly a good pic spot would be towards the end when we get near Lake Sonoma. Lotsa room in those parking lots, usually... get some good group shots.
I am open to input on eating. At the mystery spot meet we ate towards the end.

We also had a difficult time finding places to line the cars up for pics too, so a parking lot with lots of room is very helpful.

Some way to communicate between cars would be good. Cell phones or whatever. (just in case Anna gets lost).

It is probably a good time to make a list of people going for sure and those that might. That way we have an idea what is needed.
Doesn't seem possible but it is not that far away.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:09 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by fowlman01
I am open to input on eating. At the mystery spot meet we ate towards the end.

We also had a difficult time finding places to line the cars up for pics too, so a parking lot with lots of room is very helpful.

Some way to communicate between cars would be good. Cell phones or whatever. (just in case Anna gets lost).
I have access to TWO FRS/GMRS radios (Southwestern Bell) that we can use for the drive portion ... maybe give one to the leader, and one to the middle/end of the pack... If anyone else has a radio thats compatible, Motorola or Audiovox, or the like, we can all jump on the same freq and chat back and forth.

As for eating, if we waited until the end, we could end up in downtown Healdsburg, and go to the Bear Republic, or Center Street Deli, or Oakville Grocery/Deli, or one of many Mexican food places. Bear Republic has a decently large outside seating area, and might even take reservations for a large party (still unsure as to how many are attending...)
Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
fowlman01

Originally posted by neur0sis
I have access to TWO FRS/GMRS radios (Southwestern Bell) that we can use for the drive portion ... maybe give one to the leader, and one to the middle/end of the pack... If anyone else has a radio thats compatible, Motorola or Audiovox, or the like, we can all jump on the same freq and chat back and forth.

As for eating, if we waited until the end, we could end up in downtown Healdsburg, and go to the Bear Republic, or Center Street Deli, or Oakville Grocery/Deli, or one of many Mexican food places. Bear Republic has a decently large outside seating area, and might even take reservations for a large party (still unsure as to how many are attending...)
I like to park somwhere where I don't have to worry about door dings........if possible. I'm the lone car all by itself you see in parking lots
Old 07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
4myZ350

my car has NEVER been parked next to anything but another "Z" and the 2nd time the other "Z"dinged me . "O" it was at the ding removal BBQ.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:45 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

As Walt mentions we do need to get this finalized. If anybody has cells or two-ways please bring them (ok, Dan just donated). We'll stick Anna in the middle. Also, do any of you have a radar detector?

I've layed out the final route (I hope) and drive time will be about 4.5 hrs and 175 miles. We will be stopping at Robinson Rancheria in Nice for lunch and stuff. Yep, we're heading to Clear Lake from the southeast. If the majority would rather eat at the end it'll be around 2:30. I think this can be decided in route.

Anybody that's not listed or wants to be taken off the list please PM me and I'll update the list. From the posts it hasn't changed much from the original awhile ago:

Me
Fowlman01
Neur0sis
Anna
Krinkov
03_350 (haven't heard from him since 6/30)

The people I contacted personally can't make it. The two I PM'd here never responded.

Also, I think we should start out at the Safeway on the corner of Hwy 12 and Calistoga....unless Krinkov HAS to have his KK's and oogle the babe . Meet time around 9am. We'll attempt to get underway by 9:30.

I'll have the actual route written up tomorrow and will send it to whoever wants an advance look.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:03 PM
fowlman01

I have a radar detector. I had thought of that too. I always run with one on anyway. On the way to Eureka on the 4th weekend it started to beep slowly, so I slowed down and started looking until he locked on and I saw him tucked up in some bushes behind me. there is no way anyone going north would have seen that CHP until he came out in his SUV and turned on the red lights.

I was thinking that anyone with radar would turn on their headlights at first beep or use a cell whatever. A cell takes too long though.

Either meeting place is good for me I am two minutes to 12 and 6 min. to 101. I think krinkov is thinking of ease to find etc. We all know where 12 & Calistoga is too....at least so far with the confirmed list.

Thanks for organizing this so well zwindsor! I have to do this stuff all day at work, so I'm not easy to get motivated to orgaize anthing.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:09 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zwindsor

Also, I think we should start out at the Safeway on the corner of Hwy 12 and Calistoga....unless Krinkov HAS to have his KK's and oogle the babe . Meet time around 9am. We'll attempt to get underway by 9:30.

I'll have the actual route written up tomorrow and will send it to whoever wants an advance look.
haha, no prob, I'll hit KK before I guess, your loss!!

sounds like its all locals anyhow, wew should all know where calistoga safeway is, as long as we all take a few minutes before we leave and get on the same page about the route and stops, I'll have maps for everyone too
Old 07-14-2004, 08:16 AM
JoshTreeFity

Im pretty sure I can make it. Im still not 100% positive becuase I might have to work overtime but I will no for sure if i can make it or not soon. Sounds like fun and i havent been to a meetup yet really so im down for sure.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by krinkov
haha, no prob, I'll hit KK before I guess, your loss!!
Get the honey to stand next to your car and take a pic for us boys . Safeway has donuts and coffee stuff too.

I'll have maps for everyone too
Thanks. I'll send you the route soon so you can hi-lite it.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:54 AM
4myZ350

Originally posted by 4myZ350
I get around 500mls. for Hungster --- susan & I have a guest room & if you need we can save you the last 90ish mls. that is if the new grand child doesn't have plans for me!!!!!!!!
put me in ,above quote is the only thing that would stop me !
Old 07-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Anna
350Z-holic

Safeway on 12 and Calistoga... I'm blanking.. *brain is fried today*
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
fowlman01

Originally posted by Anna
Now I know why you don't want to be the last car in line.

There is a shopping center at hwy 12 and calistoga rd. I think you can see the safeway from the street (12). Do a mapquest search and it will come to you.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:56 AM
neur0sis

Where are you coming from, Anna? Are you in Santa Rosa? The easiest way to remember is:

Get on 4th Street, downtown. Head away from the Mall. Continue forever.

4th turns into HWY 12 (Sonoma Highway) at Farmers Lane. (right by the Flamingo Hotel) ...

Keep going down Highway 12 until you hit Calistoga Rd. Safeway will be on your Left Hand Side.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...rch=++Search++
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Anna
350Z-holic

I'm coming from Rohnert Park. Ahh.. ok, thanks guys... I know exactly how to get there, I guess I didn't know there was a Safeway there. Der.
Thanks for the mapquest too

Fowlman.. yes EXACTLY why

Last edited by Anna; 07-14-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:18 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

I'm coming from Rohnert Park. Ahh.. ok, thanks guys... I know exactly how to get there, I guess I didn't know there was a Safeway there. Der.
Thanks for the mapquest too

Fowlman.. yes EXACLTY why
After you turn onto Calistoga immediately turn right into the first entrance of the shopping center.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:46 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright, Weds update,

Heres Z-Dub's tentative route, hope you dont mind me posting this but I think it looks great and want to attach it too the little map I made

- Calistoga Rd to St. Helena, turn right

- St. Helena/Spring Mt. to Madrona Ave., turn left

- Madrona Ave. to Hwy 29, turn right (will wait until light is green so we can stay together, make it quick)

- Hwy 29 to Pope St., turn left (traffic light, make it quick again)

- Pope St. to Silverado Trail, turn right

- Silverado Trail to Hwy 128/Sage Canyon Rd., turn left

- Hwy 128 to Chiles Pope Valley Rd., turn left

- Chiles Pope Valley Rd. to Pope Valley Rd., bear right

- Pope Valley Rd. to Butts Canyon Rd., bear right

- Butts Canyon Rd. to Hwy 29, turn right (now in Middletown)

- Hwy 29 to Rte 53, continue straight

- Rte 53 to Hwy 20, turn left

- Hwy 20 to Nice, stop at Robinson Rancheria (lunch?)

- Hwy 20 to Lakeshore Blvd, turn left

- Lakeshore Blvd to Hwy 29, turn left

- Hwy 29 to Rte 175, turn right

- Rte 175 to Hwy 101 (Hopland)

This is a pretty BIG drive, anyone driving from down south should keep in mind Hopland is about an hour north of Santa Rosa, so factor that into your drive back time too
Attached Thumbnails Sonoma/Napa/Lake county drive-lakeport.jpg  
Old 07-14-2004, 11:23 PM
neur0sis

looks like an awesome drive to me...

Any idea how many miles? Also, it might be good to plan out a couple rest stops / gas up spots, maybe in the larger towns... (Middletown, Nice, etc...)

Quick Reply: Sonoma/Napa/Lake county drive