Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Moving to Oahu

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Juno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Oahu

Hi guys! First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice in other threads already. I decided to start this thread so I don't have to hijack your threads with questions anymore.

Anyway, we're moving to Oahu at the beginning of January, so any advice on home buying would be greatly appreciated. We're looking for the cheapest 2 bedroom/2 bath/2 parking we can find that is in a safe neighborhood and not too far from Hickam.

We're also not opposed to renting, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there...

I'll be coming out in sometime in the next two weeks to look for places. Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can pass along!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:41 PM
nizm350

hey man wish i could help u out but im only 19 and i havent been into looking for places yet. Congrats on moving to the islands. Its a very nice place to live. U in the airforce?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by nizm350
hey man wish i could help u out but im only 19 and i havent been into looking for places yet. Congrats on moving to the islands. Its a very nice place to live. U in the airforce?
No problem! We've just been hearing mixed reviews of different areas from everybody we talk to. I'm not in the air force, my husband is.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:20 PM
nizm350

OO soo sorry about that i thought u were a guy. Well I live in Aiea which is pretty close to hickam...u could try salt lake or some areas around here. Housing prices r getting pretty expensive.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Juno

Yeah, I know, it's crazy. We usually just rent since we move every 2 years or so, but the hubby wants to try to buy this time.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:35 AM
punish_her

I know a realator that is on the Windward sind of the mountain who has connections all over. I can talk to her to see what she can do for you.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:37 AM
punish_her

I know a realto on the wind ward side of the island. I'll give here a call to see what she can do for you. I won't be too much help because I'm leaving monday for a week. Then going to see family for thanksgiving.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Juno

Originally Posted by punish_her
I know a realator that is on the Windward sind of the mountain who has connections all over. I can talk to her to see what she can do for you.

Thanks!

Right now I'm really more interested in what you guys think of different areas. Everyone we know says that Mililani is the best place to live, followed by Kapolei, and to avoid Ewa. But then, a couple of people have told us that there are a couple of nice devlopments in Ewa Beach. We've heard that there are good and bad areas of Pearl City and Aiea, but we don't know which are good and which are bad. So, we're really just confused!

Have a safe trip!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 AM
350dgrz

Good and bad side of Aiea and Pearl City. Who told you that? They are great areas to live. It's just that traffic gets worse everytime I go back to visit. I'm from Pearl City btw...actually Pacific Palisades. Moanalua is also nice. Good luck and Aloha!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Juno

Originally Posted by 350dgrz
Good and bad side of Aiea and Pearl City. Who told you that? They are great areas to live. It's just that traffic gets worse everytime I go back to visit. I'm from Pearl City btw...actually Pacific Palisades. Moanalua is also nice. Good luck and Aloha!
Thank you! I've actually heard that Moanalua is nice, you're the first person who has mentioned Pacific Palisades. A girl that works with my husband is from Aiea, and she told us that the area where her parents live is pretty ghetto, but there are some really nice areas also. And from what I've heard, the traffic is getting horrible everywhere over there.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by Juno
Thank you! I've actually heard that Moanalua is nice, you're the first person who has mentioned Pacific Palisades. A girl that works with my husband is from Aiea, and she told us that the area where her parents live is pretty ghetto, but there are some really nice areas also. And from what I've heard, the traffic is getting horrible everywhere over there.

Yeah, some places are ghetto, but every places is like that. Look at University Drive in Palm Bay East of US1 you have major projects, fences with barbed wire and bars on every thing. Just west of US 1 you have 2 story houses and pretty decent areas.

And yeah traffic kinda sucks. Looking off my back porch right now and its 543pm and H1 is crawling at arround 25MPH bumper to bumper.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by punish_her
Yeah, some places are ghetto, but every places is like that. Look at University Drive in Palm Bay East of US1 you have major projects, fences with barbed wire and bars on every thing. Just west of US 1 you have 2 story houses and pretty decent areas.

And yeah traffic kinda sucks. Looking off my back porch right now and its 543pm and H1 is crawling at arround 25MPH bumper to bumper.
Wow! That's horrible traffic for a Sunday evening!

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not going to be as bad as people are telling us. There are some pretty ghetto areas near where we live, and we've never had any problems.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Juno

If anyone has any input or opinions on the following developments/areas, please let me know! These are some of the places our real estate agent has been emailing us:

Westloch Fairways
Viewpointe at Waikele
Parkglen at Waikele
Evergreen Terrace
Westview at Makakilo Heights
Northpointe Terrace
Hookumu at Waikele
Malani Iki
Arbors
Kulana Knolls
Royal Kunia
Mililani Mauka
Palm Court
Hillsdale
Gardens at Launani Valley
Makakilo Cliffs
Ridge at Launani Valley
Palehua Nani
Royal Palm at Waipio
Newton Meadows
Suncrest
Coronado
Kulalani Village
Palehua Villas

Thank you!!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Aloha350z

To be totally honest with you, a lot of what you have listed are relatively new developments, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about those areas being ghetto. What you must consider is that many new developments are required to build a certain amount of affordable homes along with the market priced homes (and these homes are adjacent to each other). You can generally tell which is which by how well the residents take care of their property. So you can live in a nice development, but have inconsiderate neighbors. Right now, the housing market in Hawaii is so very tight that it is definately a sellers market. Many people selling their homes are closing at a higher price than their original asking price (unless it's a fix'er-up'er). You might want to consider looking at homes in Kaneohe or Kailua. H-3 is a direct freeway from Kaneohe to Pearl Harbor/Hickam. And you don't get too many traffic back-ups on H-3 unless there is an accident.

My suggestion would be to first get into military housing in Hickam. Personally, I think Hickam is the most secure base on this island. Once you get here, and get familiarized with the neighborhoods, start looking at homes on the market. You also should consider renting (until the prices of homes come down).

Good luck on your search!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Juno

Originally Posted by Aloha350z
To be totally honest with you, a lot of what you have listed are relatively new developments, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about those areas being ghetto. What you must consider is that many new developments are required to build a certain amount of affordable homes along with the market priced homes (and these homes are adjacent to each other). You can generally tell which is which by how well the residents take care of their property. So you can live in a nice development, but have inconsiderate neighbors. Right now, the housing market in Hawaii is so very tight that it is definately a sellers market. Many people selling their homes are closing at a higher price than their original asking price (unless it's a fix'er-up'er). You might want to consider looking at homes in Kaneohe or Kailua. H-3 is a direct freeway from Kaneohe to Pearl Harbor/Hickam. And you don't get too many traffic back-ups on H-3 unless there is an accident.

My suggestion would be to first get into military housing in Hickam. Personally, I think Hickam is the most secure base on this island. Once you get here, and get familiarized with the neighborhoods, start looking at homes on the market. You also should consider renting (until the prices of homes come down).

Good luck on your search!
Thanks for the input! So, like, in one condominium complex, you have both market priced places, and affordable ones? Definitely different than here. I'm glad to hear that most of these places are pretty good, makes me feel like our RE agent is fairly trustworthy. We're only going to be in HI for 3 years, and my husband really doesn't want to live on base, so we want to try to buy something as soon as possible. I'll be out there the first week of December to look at places. I have also heard that Kaneohe and Kailua are nice, but so far she hasn't emailed me any properties in those areas.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
andyisphat2004

check out adrhi.com, they have listings for all the houses on the island. For apartments, craigslist.com is pretty good
Old 11-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Juno

Originally Posted by andyisphat2004
check out adrhi.com, they have listings for all the houses on the island. For apartments, craigslist.com is pretty good
Thanks! I'll do that.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
ws350

Before you totally rule out base housing, you might want to look at some of them. The homes on Hickam, although not that new, look _way_ nicer than what was available where I was stationed. Then again, that was in West Texas, so that might have something to do with it!

On the other hand, to me, one big negative to living on base at Hickam is that you'd have to deal with the noise of all of the planes landing at Honolulu Int'l Airport.

Some of the places on your list, like the places in Makakilo, would mean that you'd have to deal with the daily commuter traffic from that part of the island. Try and drive one morning during rush hour from one of those places to Hickam. It might help you shorten your list quickly. If any of those places would put you on Ft. Weaver road, that would be an even better test.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Aloha350z

Originally Posted by ws350
Before you totally rule out base housing, you might want to look at some of them. The homes on Hickam, although not that new, look _way_ nicer than what was available where I was stationed. Then again, that was in West Texas, so that might have something to do with it!

On the other hand, to me, one big negative to living on base at Hickam is that you'd have to deal with the noise of all of the planes landing at Honolulu Int'l Airport.

Some of the places on your list, like the places in Makakilo, would mean that you'd have to deal with the daily commuter traffic from that part of the island. Try and drive one morning during rush hour from one of those places to Hickam. It might help you shorten your list quickly. If any of those places would put you on Ft. Weaver road, that would be an even better test.

Good luck!
So true!

For all the times I've visited friends living on Hickam, I never noticed the sound of planes flying over. Maybe this is why they all have air conditioners in their homes. When I've been in Ewa, I've heard the planes flying over. I'm trying to figure out why...and have concluded that it must be something to do with the wind direction.

Whatever you decide on doing, don't put your money down on property until you visit in December. The closer it gets to Christmas, we get more traffic on the roads. You will definately get a better idea on where you want to live.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Juno

LOL - you know, lately when I get aggravated with the traffic here, I remind myself how much worse it's going to be in Hawaii! I am renting a car when I get there in a couple of weeks just to get a feel for how bad it's going to be. Thanks for the heads up on what roads to watch for traffic on. My husband says it won't be that big of a deal because he's going to be going to base around 5am to go to the gym before work, but I'm sure once we get there that will change.

Quick Reply: Moving to Oahu