Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

digital cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlad
RawShooter is free also. I mentioned it couple of times. Along with tweaking WB and things, it also very convenient for picture previews and filtering them (when you need to pick 3 out of 300). It has priorities, so you can assign 1,2,3 and then see only 1, 2 or 3 instead of all. Never used heard of Adobe RAW processing stuff so can't tell. But I know RawShooter is like betwen #1 and #2 on photo forums.

I don't know why PS can't do it better. I just accept it. I'm having troubles remembering stuff I know to warry about inner works. As you can see, photo workflow can be pretty extensive and complex...

And I bet you didn't hear about color profiles yet... like sRGB versus AdobeRGB... BTW,as attractive as "Adobe..." might sound, make sure to set it to sRGB both in your camera and in PS. Google it for more.
I've heard about sRGB and AdobeRGB, but I can't provide an in-depth description of both, so I guess I need to read more about them

Sorry, I missed the mention of RAW Shooter being free... well, I'm going to get myself a copy of that tonight Thanks Vlad.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:28 PM
imntcrzy

Originally Posted by yobri
I've heard about sRGB and AdobeRGB, but I can't provide an in-depth description of both, so I guess I need to read more about them
sRGB and AdobeRGB are color spaces, basically if you search they have 3d models of different color spaces. The abodeRBG color space is a bit larger ( more information)

sRGB was developed by microsoft and is more suited for display on websites, hence most cameras color space settings are set to sRBG by default.

Even though AdobeRBG is a larger color space, it is actuall suited towards those who will end up with a CMYK file ( offset printing and such), so if you shoot AdobeRBG the images may seem dull or less saturated without tweaking. So going by this if you don't plan to end up with CMYK files sRGB is a good color space.... also I believe most Canon's shoot rRGB out of the box.

without adjustment sRBG files tend to appear more contrasty with better color saturation.

Last edited by imntcrzy; 07-22-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM
imntcrzy

came across this

http://dealmac.com/deals/Canon-SLR-L...ore/91678.html

expires 07/28
Old 07-22-2005, 08:18 PM
3-fity

Originally Posted by Vlad
Canon S60. It's been a thread about digitals every month here. Do search.
I followed Vlads advise and got the S60 and have been VERY happy with it. Check out www.dpreview.com
Old 07-23-2005, 01:15 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by imntcrzy
Got mine for $529 before tax. But it's on backorder now...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really, off the bat the images will be better if I shoot 5800 but to me it makes no difference since my workflow always assumes I'll be editing in PS. I've never used raw shooter, it does sound like a good quick program to use, but my PS sessions involve some masking and other more indepth steps. Hey if raw shooter allows you to do those things it sound great. I should look into it.
RS is only good to select pictures, to adjust WB and exposure and shadow contrast and tint. Then you hit a button and it'll convert to tiff and load picture in PS. Or you can set it to just do batch convertion, without opening it into PS.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm I'm not to sure of that, most good cameras do have large buffers yes... I've seen 1ds mark II's shoot a burst of 20 frames JPeg high with no problem and shoot about 5 or 6 raw files and start to lag. This all has to do with cf card speed, buffer sizee and processor speed... like you said, but in my experience cameras seem to lag sooner with the larger raw files. I guess the best way to find this out in the XT is to shoot a burst with raw and shoot a burst with jpg high and see what happens. I would just shoot slower anyways.
All I said in this part is only my guess as an IT guy... I never did extensive experiments. In my 10D I have no problem shooting RAW burst of 9. But then it takes a long time to write to card. I use sandisk 1G ultra II cards. They are not the fastest available... But since I mostly shoot with strobes, recharging time is bottleneck for the whole process, so in-camera processes became irrelevant.

Last edited by Vlad; 07-25-2005 at 05:51 AM.