Notices

Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

yah... maybe if someone if going for max max power N/A... who knows..agian...its nice they showed their R & D and all but that at some point wont mean anything until the final product is tested by by a few shows and logetivity as well...
I hope thier strategy to show all that ehy spend on the R&D is an excuse to super jack up the price too much...
Also again there might end up being another competitor who puts something nice out there....
Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I think this might be overkill for the na guys and for the 'stock' FI guys. I just know I am very interested in seeing how this performs.
I am up for any product at this point that can increase my airflow/volume, but so far this appears the only one on the horizon.

Last edited by BamBam; 01-04-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
Yea, I think this might be overkill for the na guys and for the 'stock' FI guys. I just know I am very interested in seeing how this performs.
I can see it being useful on a stock block setup. Anything that allows you to make more power at the same boost levels, or improves the efficiency of the engine is worth it in my book. I guess it just depends on the difference in benefit between low boost and high boost applications is. Besides, if people spent $800 on the SSV for a stock motor, then this is defnitely worth it in my book.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by taurran
Besides, if people spent $800 on the SSV for a stock motor, then this is defnitely worth it in my book.

well those people that spend 800 on teh ssv..specially if they know about it and just for look are stupid ..so not fair to compare to most of the people in teh FI forum here(i hope most) that actually do their homework to research and know what its worth buying and not and also compare their price vs power gain
Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by taurran
I can see it being useful on a stock block setup. Anything that allows you to make more power at the same boost levels, or improves the efficiency of the engine is worth it in my book. I guess it just depends on the difference in benefit between low boost and high boost applications is. Besides, if people spent $800 on the SSV for a stock motor, then this is definitely worth it in my book.
Touché.. good points. I think we need to wait and see how it performs (& purchase price) before deciding if the price is too much or if it would be better to buy other mods to generate a similar power level.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I have to agree, if you are foolish enough to spend $800 on a SSV for an NA Z, then this is the better buy. I didn't realize that the fool factor came into it.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by gringott
For the NA guys it seems like an awful lot of money for very little gain, a spacer seems like the better value. For FI, of course, we will know shortly after release.
I think that really depends. For NA guys with heads and big cams this manifold maybe the best thing around if it allows us to make power past 6500 to 7200+ rpm.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rednezz
I think that really depends. For NA guys with heads and big cams this manifold maybe the best thing around if it allows us to make power past 6500 to 7200+ rpm.
Seems to me this is a rare group, however, if it does that, for those few people it may be a good buy.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rednezz
+1.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Three5oZee

Question

... This looks pretty interesting. From what im hearing and for my personal gains this would be a good investment.

Heres a question for my own indevors; Im thinking of doing what Jun did to their 350Z...but i want to attempt to use two electronic throttle bodies runing with the wires spliced from the original set up.
( http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408281 )

With me on the TN set up.. I plan to run a pipe from the driver side plenum over to the passenger side plenum an then strait down to the intercooler for a quicker response of cold air. Then of course, connect my blow-off from that side....

Already examined the bay.. the set up would be more economical regarding heat with the removal all the existing material from the turbo side and down pipes in that area an in turn allows more heat to exit that area. The only issue would be relocating the coolant container so that the piping from the intercooler can be run smooth and strait up. Thats nothing compared to the gain in cold air. ..Would this be a better balance in distributed air to all cylinders? OR.. would tunning come into play with the programming of increased air to fuel (course that would have to be done with any new plenum)....

Comments, concerns?..

I chose the JUN set up because for one.. though it is similar to that of the Cosworth design without the molding around the pipes coming up from the block; although JUN has larger canisters holding more displacement of air than most other designs that I have seen. I dont see why there couldnt be just one throttle body so that you arent spending more money; was just an idea.

DID I JUST OPEN A CAN OF WORMS??!?!?!? LOL
Old 01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
rookie

Wouldn't a twin TB configuration make more sense on a twin turbo? Unless I'm reading your post wrong why would you get so elaborate with a ST set up?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Three5oZee

just thinking about the routing of the piping from the plenum... with one TB, would the air be distributed equally to both plenums with piping favoring one side being that one plenum would recieve air sooner than the second one. So in theory.. two TB's can maintain equal flow with proper programming?

was an idea that im pondering for the TN set up for efficency and simply for a different look as well.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
taurran

I think that would be a nightmare to figure out with the stock ECU. I have no idea how this would interface with a full stand alone EMS. Then again, you could go totally custom and completely get rid of the throttle-by-wire system and go old school throttle cable.

I'm personally wanting somehting to come out along the lines of what Top Secret built on their car (dual chamber, short runner, front feeding intake manifold)

Last edited by taurran; 01-04-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll try it out N/A, the price is not TOO bad but it's Cosworth, hey why not...

Sharif can I go for a preorder already?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 PM
NoLimit

ehhh, .... SFR manifold FTW!!

Sorry, ... had to do it!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
IIQuickSilverII

??????
nah..
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 AM
NoLimit

nah.. what?

dynos to come soon, ... tuned, N/A w/fcon
Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by NoLimit
nah.. what?

dynos to come soon, ... tuned, N/A w/fcon
I'm surprised we haven't seen dynos on this piece already. It's been "in production" for a long time now apparently.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

guys, we wont know till it comes out and someone who is NOT i repeat NOT selling it does an unbiased dyno/dynos using it. plus, anyone paying 1000-1500 for it wont want to look stupid if it doesnt make the power they claim, so they might make the dynos look like they want. as soon as it comes out, i will strap a few different cars on the dyno and pull some unbiased dyno charts and see what happens.

i would never sell something that i didnt feel strongly about just to make money, if i dyno it and it makes 10 hp, i will tell everyone to get a 200 plenum spacer instead.

if i dyno it and it makes enough and justifies it , then i will push the product.

i hate the fact that many people sell products to people who just have money that are "willing" to spend it on these cars for no reason. i would rather see that money being used correctly so you can get more per dollars for your vehicle...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why you guys are so interested in peak numbers. If it gains (just an example) 25-30HP at redline but only 5 HP or so peak it will still be worth it to me. More importantly than anything else, this manifold (from what i'm reading) will make good power to the stock redline and beyond with no losses in the mid-range. Area under the curve...

Last edited by nismology1; 01-05-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!