Notices

Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
turismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
guys, we wont know till it comes out and someone who is NOT i repeat NOT selling it does an unbiased dyno/dynos using it. plus, anyone paying 1000-1500 for it wont want to look stupid if it doesnt make the power they claim, so they might make the dynos look like they want. as soon as it comes out, i will strap a few different cars on the dyno and pull some unbiased dyno charts and see what happens.

i would never sell something that i didnt feel strongly about just to make money, if i dyno it and it makes 10 hp, i will tell everyone to get a 200 plenum spacer instead.

if i dyno it and it makes enough and justifies it , then i will push the product.

i hate the fact that many people sell products to people who just have money that are "willing" to spend it on these cars for no reason. i would rather see that money being used correctly so you can get more per dollars for your vehicle...

+1
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cosworth is one of the premier engineering companies in the world. I have no doubt this plenum will deliver a power improvment. The question you have to ask yourself, is whether a $999 plenum that gives 10-15whp NA is worth it? A lot of customers will pay money, not just for products that deliver power, but that also LOOK very nice. There is no shame in that. So a modest power gain, and arguably the nicest looking plenum on the market...is certainly work a look. And a better equalization of airfow between cylinders, is also an added benifit. Mike and I saw the data.....very compelling.

And a before/after test...might not be that telling, as the engine will likely have to retuned, or touched up, in order to maximize the benefits of this modification.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Three5oZee

I have to agree... so we just have to be paitent i guess. Im currently sitting with this manifold (http://ssr-engineering.com/products_g35intakemani.php ), which i have had on my TN set up from day one of installation. I really like the performance im getting from it. To step up from this manifold would be a capital move.

Im sure ill pay the numbers for an effecient gain such as reorted by Cosworth!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 AM
helldorado

I'm most interested to see what the gains are when you combine this manifold with their heads. I think that's where the real potential lies for the big gains (and to empty your wallet ).
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helldorado
I'm most interested to see what the gains are when you combine this manifold with their heads. I think that's where the real potential lies for the big gains (and to empty your wallet ).
So you don't think there would be as much of a gain with another vendor's aftermarket heads? Just curious, because I assume most aftermarket heads would be very similar.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BamBam
So you don't think there would be as much of a gain with another vendor's aftermarket heads? Just curious, because I assume most aftermarket heads would be very similar.
Cosworth engineered the plenum to work on NA untouched heads. If gains are to be had with larger valves or ported heads, I would imagine they would be comparable, regards of who ported the heads.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by taurran
I'm surprised we haven't seen dynos on this piece already. It's been "in production" for a long time now apparently.
there are only a handfull of them that have been sold, and I think MRC should have one soon, if not already. We'll see soon how it does, this stuff just takes time, people have their family's/jobs/etc that take priority.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by NoLimit
there are only a handfull of them that have been sold, and I think MRC should have one soon, if not already. We'll see soon how it does, this stuff just takes time, people have their family's/jobs/etc that take priority.
The pre-production version was made of plastic, and not suitable for FI. I dont know of any production pieces out there...but I imagine there a couple out for testing.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
chimmike

There were whispers of the Cosworth guys hoping to get near 400whp n/a out of a 287 VQ35. Just whispers/rumors, but if they get even close to that, it'll be pretty damn amazing!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

lets wait and see.... i dont think they have even done that in japan

yah yah... i mean..anythign thats goor perfromance wise and look its good product... =]
Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Z350Lover

I will want to get one and try it out too... just to squeeze the very last horse power out of this engine in its N/A form... but I doubt it is gonna be 400rwHP though in N/A.... 400BHP is possible for sure..

cheers,

richie
Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 PM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The pre-production version was made of plastic, and not suitable for FI. I dont know of any production pieces out there...but I imagine there a couple out for testing.
oh, sorry .... I was talking about the SFR plenum that I posted on the previous page. I quoted 'taurran' thinking he was asking about it.

(I did dyno the SFR N/A'd though...)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
taurran

oh, sorry .... I was talking about the SFR plenum that I posted on the previous page. I quoted 'taurran' thinking he was asking about it.

(I did dyno the SFR N/A'd though...)
I thought I was talking about the SFR manifold (not the coffin one, but yours).
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
NoLimit

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by taurran
I thought I was talking about the SFR manifold (not the coffin one, but yours).
LOL
well, yes then, I just dyno'd today with it. I will post something later in my own thread. (prolly on my site) LOL
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 AM
helldorado

Originally Posted by BamBam
I think you'd find similar gains with PnP heads, regardless of who did the work. Just used their own as example. Even though they've designed this plenum to work on stock heads, if it can really optimize the flow, I'm thinking it would have greater gains on any aftermarket heads vs the stock plenum. Really just thinking out loud that you might gain 10-15 whp with stock heads, but potentially 25-30 if you have heads that have been worked over, particularly on the higher end of your power band.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 AM
ct350z

LOL
well, yes then, I just dyno'd today with it. I will post something later in my own thread. (prolly on my site) LOL
post it here dude!!! lets everyone see what you dyno'd!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helldorado
I think you'd find similar gains with PnP heads, regardless of who did the work. Just used their own as example. Even though they've designed this plenum to work on stock heads, if it can really optimize the flow, I'm thinking it would have greater gains on any aftermarket heads vs the stock plenum. Really just thinking out loud that you might gain 10-15 whp with stock heads, but potentially 25-30 if you have heads that have been worked over, particularly on the higher end of your power band.
OK, that is what I thought you meant, as that makes the most sense to me. Just wanted some clarification. I know that when testing they can ensure a good match between their 'style' of P&P which might not net as much of a gain on another companies P&P'd heads, but in general I figured you should see similar gains in all completely 'reworked' heads. Just trying to be sure I understand all this right.
Still looking forward to seeing this... got lots of ideas running around in my head, & getting impatient... spring is near
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
I will want to get one and try it out too... just to squeeze the very last horse power out of this engine in its N/A form... but I doubt it is gonna be 400rwHP though in N/A.... 400BHP is possible for sure..

cheers,

richie
Some tuners in Japan have already passed 360whp NA with ITBs

For NA ITBs and a large plenum box would most likely be the route to take if your shooting for max hp

The motor that I saw pics of was short stacked gold ITBs makin about 360-367whp

If nissan would add a secondary cam lobe to the head they could get well over 400whp when done all out easily

There was a K series 4cyl that just made 350-360whp and was probably a 2.6L obvioudly the VQ would make more average hp because of size but the head is where the magic happens and I think Nissans focus should be on adding their "VTEC" to the VQ series so we can have wilder cams made for us to use --- so far the next step seems to be a 3.8L VQ which is nice but a variable cam lobe VQ would make so much more power! lol

ON TOPIC

I have a REVup and the spacer + MREV2 is supposed to make 15-20whp peak for about $650 or so which is a nice gain for the money already

I think if Cos can show 20-25whp gains NA for $900 it will still be a very nice piece and is CHEAPER than an exhaust system which people are paying 1500 or MORE for that make less power

My only concern living in Cali is the cops and CARB EO numbers.....with their resources I would hope they get CARB approval so we can rock them without fear otherwise many of us will stick with the MREV2 + spacer trick

Last edited by SergEK; 01-09-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Tha Japanese tuners almost always post bhp (crank) numbers, rather than whp numbers.

Originally Posted by SergEK
Some tuners in Japan have already passed 360whp NA with ITBs

For NA ITBs and a large plenum box would most likely be the route to take if your shooting for max hp

The motor that I saw pics of was short stacked gold ITBs makin about 360-367whp

If nissan would add a secondary cam lobe to the head they could get well over 400whp when done all out easily

There was a K series 4cyl that just made 350-360whp and was probably a 2.6L obvioudly the VQ would make more average hp because of size but the head is where the magic happens and I think Nissans focus should be on adding their "VTEC" to the VQ series so we can have wilder cams made for us to use --- so far the next step seems to be a 3.8L VQ which is nice but a variable cam lobe VQ would make so much more power! lol
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Tha Japanese tuners almost always post bhp (crank) numbers, rather than whp numbers.
I dont know which motor your talking about but both were WHP listed. The K series is an american tuner with dyno plots listed in whp.

Obviously 360whp Z isnt going to be cheap but 306whp would be nothing to brag about on an all out VQ when bolt on REVups are putting down 285ish whp on pump gas, stock cams, stock heads etc

Quick Reply: Cosworth Plenum FI/NA: Pics Inside!