Notices

Flat Foot Shifting Is Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
n2mb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys!

im new here and thought i would come on and help julian answer any questions that you guys may have.

first thing that i should explain is the problems that arise when you wot shift.the way a synchronizer engages two very important things need to happen.first the clutch needs to disengage from the engine and second the input shaft on the transmission needs to slow down in order for the synch to engage.in most clutch assemblies the release point is rather low and requires a certain amount of throw before the pressure plate can release the disk.this makes the no lift shift extremely difficult.even seasoned drivers have difficulties with it regardless of how much they preach "i can drive"

the way the wot box works is we take the signal off of the clutch switch to actuate the box so that we can cut ignition starting at the top of the clutch pedal throw.by using this system we can control both of the major issues,the input shaft speed is instantly reduced and full disengagement of the clutch is no longer an issue.

as an example of how well it works we had a customer with an srt4 that spent a very frustrating 2 years stuck on the 12.0 @120 timeslip.we set him up with a wotbox and with no changes and the wotbox set to a very slow 200ms he went from 12.0 to 11.8 on his first pass.followed by an 11.7 and an 11.5 by simply lowering the cut time on the box.a month ago he went up 3 psi of boost and ran an 11.3@128...not bad for nothing changed!

we are looking forward to working with julian to bring this to the z community!

i will go back now and try to answer some of the questions now

thanks for listening!

jay
owner n2mb racing
Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by D-tuned
how is the 2-step activated and de-activated?
we will be working on getting the two step launch control active for the z very shortly.i have some of the cam scope patterns and it is a matter of writing some software to control it.

it is very easy to activate and deactivate it however.there is a single button on the face of the box that controls everything.on the srt which the 2 step is already functioning simply hold the clutch in and hold the button down and count the blinks.by releasing the button as soon as the light goes out you deactivate the 2 step.the first blink will represent 3k rpm and every blink thereafter will represent 200 rpm.

if you guys like to launch lower or need a more definitive rpm set speed we can also make that available to you.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by Abishop
WOT shifting is like heaven on earth.
i couldnt put it any better!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by r0mey
i was wondering when someone was gonna steal this from the SRT-4 guys
lol romey you know it was a matter of time before you guys would see my stuff here

jay
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by failsafe306
So it doesn't matter that fuel is still dumping into the cylinders the whole time?
on the flat shift its not a problem at all.the only thing that may seem funny to some is the occasional fireball that comes out of the tailpipe but then again most of us get pretty excited when we see a fireball.that is just the extra fuel that is pushed through igniting in the downpipe and there are no ill effects.

on the 2 step and just like any other 2 step on the market its not advisable to stand on it for lengths of time due to egt's rising.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
I think it cuts the throttle, but I could be wrong.
no it does not cut throttle, we use a throttle input however we do not touch throttle angle at all
Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
^oh right! didn't see that. Is this true Julian? No boost pressure loss?
absolutely!! in fact i have demonstrated this to many people after setting them up with theirs and with the box set to where i like it at 25ms i gain around 2 psi on the shift! we preset them at 350ms so that the end user can get a good feel of what is happening.usually after a couple wot shifts they drop it down drastically
Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
We can do them for $369 installed if you wish!!Call for appointment..
wow! that is a bada$$ price!!

what can you buy for 300 bucks that can shave a half second and more off your e.t.?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Circuit schematic please.
lol sorry thats propietary information.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
By cutting igntion and keeping the fuel on,it will act as an anti lag system....... since it will dump some raw fuel into the exhaust and once that happens,the fuel will ignite causing the turbo to stay spooled
Yep, definitely not for those with cats still in place. They will burn out for sure!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by App6MT
Is launch control going to be a firmware update plus the additional wire(s) to hook up?
yes our upgrades are free.we are racers just like you guys and to me there is nothing more annoying than having to pay for a product and then get hit with a hidden charge on something that is simply fixed with a software flash
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by rcdash
Yep, definitely not for those with cats still in place. They will burn out for sure!
absolutely,

2 step launch control is not something you want to do with the regular cat.however flat shifting is ok,thank you for pointing that out
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by coachk
MRC...if you're not sure about an answer for my question can you check with mr eh. I am interested in a 2 step/launch control feature.
yes we can do that

next week we will work with julian on the 2 step.its just a matter of grabbing a good signal and tuning the proprtional ind integral control.once we do that your request will be no problemat all.

and btw guys with the wotbox we also include the serial cable so that if there any available flashes for your box you can download them and install them yourself
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
n2mb

Originally Posted by redzzand
what happens if you mis-shift? would the motor blow up since its in full power and not in gear? This is my biggest fear of the "no lift to shift" feature.
all i can say in response to this is it is very hard to miss a shift with the wotbox and if that should so happen you are still protected by the factory rev limiter.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory rev limiter will not save you from a missed shift. If you leave 3rd gear red-lined and hit 2nd instead of 4th and drop the clutch.... there isn't anything that box or the factory rev-limiter can do to save your engine... The only thing you can hope for is to push the clutch in before it's too late...

This box isn't going to miraculously save synchros either. When the clutch is depressed, the engine is no longer connected to the transmission... regardless if you're full throttle or not, the tranny is going to slow down at its own rate. Slamming gears is hard on synchros and that's a fact of life. It doesn't matter if you power shift or speed shift, cut the ignition or not.... you're not doing your synchros any favors...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Aced16

oooo man Julian, i might be adding this to my order tomorrow! i sent you a PM btw, let me know please, and this will work for my G right?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by roast
The factory rev limiter will not save you from a missed shift. If you leave 3rd gear red-lined and hit 2nd instead of 4th and drop the clutch.... there isn't anything that box or the factory rev-limiter can do to save your engine... The only thing you can hope for is to push the clutch in before it's too late...
Then that would be on the retard driving the car that cant tell 5th from 2nd gear...
This box isn't going to miraculously save synchros either. When the clutch is depressed, the engine is no longer connected to the transmission... regardless if you're full throttle or not, the tranny is going to slow down at its own rate. Slamming gears is hard on synchros and that's a fact of life. It doesn't matter if you power shift or speed shift, cut the ignition or not.... you're not doing your synchros any favors...
your incorrect..Cutting the ignition will slow the motor down so that it will be easier to mesh the syncros with the already slower running tranny input shaft.Otherwise the motor still would be accelerating at the rate is would with your foot on the gas..This box makes shifting like butter when powershifting and keeps the turbos spooled up...i just gor back from a spirited drive and let me tell you..I dont know how i drove without it before.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
n2mb

we are talking about missing a shift and free revving.yes it will hit the rev limiter.if you were to downshift instead of upshift then there is no way for a rev limit to help you on a decel.thats just basic knowledge

youre very wrong on the second part.flat shifting is a huge part of racing.there isnt a succesful boosted car on any professional drag race circuit that doesnt incorporate some sort of nlts or antilag.i understand your point but look a little further what we are saying.you can still be hard on a synchro especially if you dont have rod brakes on your shifter.however the ignition cut instantaneously relieves the torque on the input shaft so that the synch can do its job.doing so literally requires half the force on the shifter itself.its almost the same as if you were rev matching with your foot off the clutch and the car in neutral while you are rolling.increase crank speed greater than input shaft speed on that particular gear and you will be able to shift into that gear without the clutch..the only difference is that we do it on a much faster scale.

we have actually had more than one customer that had bad 3/4 synchs on the srt4 that couldnt shift normally 3-4 and were able to wot shift the gear
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
mr_eh

lol, tonight i went out for a cruise and i kept running out of room to wot shift third i drove like 20 min out of the highway just to do a few 2-5 pulls on the highway, its addicting.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_eh
lol, tonight i went out for a cruise and i kept running out of room to wot shift third i drove like 20 min out of the highway just to do a few 2-5 pulls on the highway, its addicting.
Word..i had to do 4th to 5th, I get no traction in 1-3rd and start to spin tires and go towards hard, stationary objects.. Booo...I need Toyo R888 FTW..

Quick Reply: Flat Foot Shifting Is Here!!!