Notices

Flat Foot Shifting Is Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
pmohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGGD198
idk man....to loose .3 -.5 off my 1/4 mile time even if N/A would be WELL worth the $300. name me a mod for that price that will make me drop that much?

honestly id be happy with .3....
Second-hand nitrous kit
Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
The G35 driver guys are a weird crew..They are so untrusting for some reason..
How are we untrusting? No one doubts that this works in the exact way you describe, the only issue that has come up is that you claim it helps synchros, I haven't seen a good explaination of how it will help synchros yet.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by redlude97
How are we untrusting? No one doubts that this works in the exact way you describe, the only issue that has come up is that you claim it helps synchros, I haven't seen a good explaination of how it will help synchros yet.
Do a search on the SRT4 forums and see how any guys were blowing apart trannys/synchros prior to using this unit vs how many that have not since using it.

the split second of ignition kill allows for the user to get the transmission in gear easier without grinding like people are known to do when flatshifitng otherwise...
When normal shifting your comming off the gas pedal allowing the motor to slow down in conjunction with the tranny. When you come off the gas inbetween normal shifts, the transmission input shaft will loose the rotational momentum it had as you were hard accelerating hard. Now picture allowing the motor to keep accelerating by keeping your foot on the gas, (and were not talking about heel toe, rev matching here) as the transmission starts to slow down with the weight of the car, not having the engine engaged producing momentum and drag ect...Now you go and slam a gear in while: The engine is still wanting to accelrate and the transmission wants to slow down due to inertia loss of being disengaged from the engines rotation.
Grind, crunch....As we all have experienced..
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
n2mb

put it in simple terms when you go and shift into gear the fork pushes the synch up against the gear.under normal driving conditions there are no problems because the clutch disk is seperated from the crank and the crank and input shaft slow down so the engagement is smooth.if you try to powershift crank speed increases as you disengage the clutch.until the clutch fully disengages the input shaft on the trans is speeding up too which makes it very hard for the teeth on the blocker ring and synch to mesh with the gear.thats why you hear grinding when you miss a gear powershifting.by cutting ignition as you are engaging the clutch both crank and input shaft speeds are taken out of power letting the synch mesh with the gears like butter.by doing it this way you take the danger out of grinding the teeth off the synchro and gear.hope that makes a little more sense
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
redlude97

Do a search on the SRT4 forums and see how any guys were blowing apart trannys/synchros prior to using this unit vs how many that have not since using it.

the split second of ignition kill allows for the user to get the transmission in gear easier without grinding like people are known to do when flatshifitng otherwise...
When normal shifting your comming off the gas pedal allowing the motor to slow down in conjunction with the tranny. When you come off the gas inbetween normal shifts, the transmission input shaft will loose the rotational momentum it had as you were hard accelerating hard. Now picture allowing the motor to keep accelerating by keeping your foot on the gas, (and were not talking about heel toe, rev matching here) as the transmission starts to slow down with the weight of the car, not having the engine engaged producing momentum and drag ect...Now you go and slam a gear in while: The engine is still wanting to accelrate and the transmission wants to slow down due to inertia loss of being disengaged from the engines rotation.
Grind, crunch....As we all have experienced..
But when the clutch is depressed, the engine is no longer connected to the transmission, the clutch is connect to a rod and gear that is meshed with the layshaft. The layshaft then meshes with the gears on the output shaft. There is no way the layshaft speed changes with the engine speed when the clutch is depressed. What this unit WILL do is reduce the drivetrain shock when the clutch is released compared to a powershift, but at that point the synchros are no long working, the layshaft and output shaft gears are already connected. This unit essentially reduces the drivetrain shock that occurs similar to doing a clutch drop when launching. 1st gear is already engaged and all the gears are meshed, but the transmission still experiences significant shock becuase the flywheel and clutch are at different speeds, and at the instant they meet, they want to be spinning at the same speed. I think we are saying the same thing, but you are attributing the observation of less transmission damage to the wrong changes that are occuring. This unit definetly will reduce tranmission wear because of the ignition cut, but not for the exact reasons you stated.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by n2mb
put it in simple terms when you go and shift into gear the fork pushes the synch up against the gear.under normal driving conditions there are no problems because the clutch disk is seperated from the crank and the crank and input shaft slow down so the engagement is smooth.if you try to powershift crank speed increases as you disengage the clutch.until the clutch fully disengages the input shaft on the trans is speeding up too which makes it very hard for the teeth on the blocker ring and synch to mesh with the gear.thats why you hear grinding when you miss a gear powershifting.by cutting ignition as you are engaging the clutch both crank and input shaft speeds are taken out of power letting the synch mesh with the gears like butter.by doing it this way you take the danger out of grinding the teeth off the synchro and gear.hope that makes a little more sense
sorry, but the time to disconnect the clutch from the flywheel is in the ms range, the limit of a shift is mostly in the actual shift. What you are describing is if you are trying to shift before the clutch is disengaged from the flywheel, which you shouldn't do even when powershifting.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
redlude97

This is a schematic of a transmission.

The green gear and shaft are connected to the clutch, and disengages from the rest of the gears when the clutch is depressed. explain how the engine speed determines the speed of the layshaft and in turn the speed of any of the gears. The pink clogs are the synchros.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

This is a schematic of a transmission.

The green gear and shaft are connected to the clutch, and disengages from the rest of the gears when the clutch is depressed. explain how the engine speed determines the speed of the layshaft and in turn the speed of any of the gears. The pink clogs are the synchros.
You serious?
Doesnt the engine spin the transmission??It did last time I checked...Try this for me when you get a chance...
Go outside, rev your engine to 6000rpms in nuetral and let me know if the car goes anywhere...

Picture the engine spinning at 6000rpms and spinning your LayShaft, thus spinning the gears inside the transmission, thus transferring power to the rear Dif, thus allowing the wheels to rotate and make the car go foward...

Now press the clutch down and hold it and keep your foot on the gas, what happens? the engine keeps accelerating and the layshaft and the transmission and the car, begin to slow down,due to lack of a momentum producing device, such as the engine.. Now try and put the car in 2nd gear and letting off the clutch as the engine hits 8000 rpms, and the car is slowing down..What happens?

What the WOT box does is allow the ignition to be cut for a split second, allowing the driver to get in gear and not miss the shift doe to the rpms continuing to accelerate, thus grinding gears...

It may not have a direct effect on the synchros exactly, but what it does is allow the driver better and faster shifts without grinding the gears and synchros to pieces...

Please explain how the SRT guys have met this with open arms and the Z and G guy love to debate and disect every single word till they are blue in the face?

I Remember when the Z community purchased hundreds of Kinetix plenums, if that means anything
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
redlude97

You serious?
Doesnt the engine spin the transmission??It did last time I checked...Try this for me when you get a chance...
Go outside, rev your engine to 6000rpms in nuetral and let me know if the car goes anywhere...
You forgot to highlight the part where I stated WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED.

Picture the engine spinning at 6000rpms and spinning your LayShaft, thus spinning the gears inside the transmission, thus transferring power to the rear Dif, thus allowing the wheels to rotate and make the car go foward...

Now press the clutch down and hold it and keep your foot on the gas, what happens? the engine keeps accelerating and the layshaft and the transmission and the car, begin to slow down,due to lack of a momentum producing device, such as the engine.. Now try and put the car in 2nd gear and letting off the clutch as the engine hits 8000 rpms, and the car is slowing down..What happens?
EXACTLY MY POINT. why don't you try this. Go press and hold down the clutch, now put it 1st and shift to 2nd at idle. Now rev the engine to 6-7-8000rpms with the clutch pedal still depressed and do the same shift. Takes the same effort right? That is what the syncros are doing. When you drop the clutch from 8000rpms, the synchros have already engaged the second gear and sped up the output shaft to the speed of the lay shaft. What happens when when you drop the clutch is the green gear re-engages and then at the point the the whole transmission with all the gears engaged try to speed up to the speed of the engine. Guess what is the weakest link? The clog and synchro that holds the output shaft and the blue gears to the red gears. THIS is what causes the transmission to blow up, not your explanation. This DOES work at saving trannies, I never disagreed with this statement. It is your explanation of HOW it does this which is flawed. See my full explanation on g35driver.
It may not have a direct effect on the synchros exactly, but what it does is allow the driver better and faster shifts without grinding the gears and synchros to pieces...
Finally we are understanding each other, I never argued that it didn't do this. I was pointing out that your explantion wasn't correct on HOW it works.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
merlin3

You serious?
Please explain how the SRT guys have met this with open arms and the Z and G guy love to debate and disect every single word till they are blue in the face?

I Remember when the Z community purchased hundreds of Kinetix plenums, if that means anything
So because z or g owners want to question a product and it's sales pitch they're wrong? Most of the srt owners I know are basic ricers and will believe whatever you tell them, especially if it adds powa.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

You forgot to highlight the part where I stated WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED.

EXACTLY MY POINT. [B]why don't you try this. Go press and hold down the clutch, now put it 1st and shift to 2nd at idle. Now rev the engine to 6-7-8000rpms with the clutch pedal still depressed and do the same shift. Takes the same effort right? That is what the syncros are doing

When you drop the clutch from 8000rpms, the synchros have already engaged the second gear and sped up the output shaft to the speed of the lay shaft. What happens when when you drop the clutch is the green gear re-engages and then at the point the the whole transmission with all the gears engaged try to speed up to the speed of the engine. Guess what is the weakest link? The clog and synchro that holds the output shaft and the blue gears to the red gears. THIS is what causes the transmission to blow up, not your explanation. This DOES work at saving trannies, I never disagreed with this statement. It is your explanation of HOW it does this which is flawed. See my full explanation on g35driver.

Finally we are understanding each other, I never argued that it didn't do this. I was pointing out that your explantion wasn't correct on HOW it works.
ok ok...but you do agree it helps prolong the life of the tranny then?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
redlude97

ok ok...but you do agree it helps prolong the life of the tranny then?
Yes, I've never stated it doesn't.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by merlin3
So because z or g owners want to question a product and it's sales pitch they're wrong? Most of the srt owners I know are basic ricers and will believe whatever you tell them, especially if it adds powa.
No one said that..What Im saying is people were gullable to fall for the BS claims that Kinetix made on their SSV, and I have yet to see one SSV equiped car make power on my dyno..

I am no snake oil salesman, if i endorse and sell a product, then it works...Period..We dont sell stuff that is questionable.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM
redlude97

No one said that..What Im saying is people were gullable to fall for the BS claims that Kinetix made on their SSV, and I have yet to see one SSV equiped car make power on my dyno..

I am no snake oil salesman, if i endorse and sell a product, then it works...Period..We dont sell stuff that is questionable.
So then shouldn't you be happy that people are asking questions and not taking your word at face value?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

So then shouldn't you be happy that people are asking questions and not taking your word at face value?
Yes, yes i am...

The bottom line is the unit works..If you want ot lable it "shifting for dummies" "No lift to shift" whtever...It has resulted in lower ET's on SRT4s, similar units have resulted in Turbo Trix Racing going from 9.8's to 9'1's and I will soon track test it on my car.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:41 PM
redlude97

Yes, yes i am...

The bottom line is the unit works..If you want ot lable it "shifting for dummies" "No lift to shift" whtever...It has resulted in lower ET's on SRT4s, similar units have resulted in Turbo Trix Racing going from 9.8's to 9'1's and I will soon track test it on my car.
I haven't seen anyone doubt these particular claims either, I'm sure it will lower ET's, because as I stated it removes a degree of variability from the equation, this is always a good thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
merlin3

that was my point julian, I'm sure this does lower et's and I'll be interested to see how well it works on the z/g platform. Would also like to see how well the 2 step works. Also I don't think anyone was arguing that this was better for the tranny I think it was just a matter of how. If I was going to shift at wot with or without this I would definately want something like this.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM
n2mb

thats a very prejudice statement,i actually took offense to that
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 AM
blu1byu

Originally Posted by jkenefic
Humm... Since we could not figure out this feature on the FCon this would be the perfect mod to go with my Sequential Shifter...

Subscribing for more info.
Who makes the sequential shifters?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

There are plenty SRT4 running way faster than 350z/g35's at the track..Hi hater..

Quick Reply: Flat Foot Shifting Is Here!!!